DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    I need help getting this car to run.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help getting this car to run.
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
Not really. Most of it I replaced at home after not finding anything. My problem is that I only have one race left and it's the finals, so not much time to try things....lol.

What is used for an ignition ON switch ?

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I use an ARC switch panel. The traditional one with white rocker switches.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rodney Pryor
posted Hide Post
quote:

Many years ago we had a similar issue with the car missing and popping. After swapping several ignition parts, the problem was fixed when we bypassed by ARC switch panel like you have with a toggle switch for the ignition.

Posts: 116 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Electrical maintenance story.
I was fussing with the electrical on my multi stage nitrous car.
At times it seemed like I spent more time verifying circuits than I did tuning. Way too many gadgets.
On this day I was rerouting and making some circuits more accessible.

A customer/friend stopped by that I had known my whole life. He raced dirt late models but I tried not to hold that against him.

After watching me grapple with this for a bit he made the comment that every winter they tear out all the wiring including switches, plug wires, etc and replace with new parts. Ignition boxes and coils were optional based on age.

That kind of stunned me so I asked why?
The answer was also stunningly simple.
"Since we started doing that we don't have stupid, hair tearing, non qualifying problems in the middle of the season"
Rim shot.

So I have done that ever since. In my case other than the pricey boxes, coils, plug wires, mags the rest of it comes in around 100-150 bucks plus time.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I was just thinking about how in about 27 years of racing, I don't believe I have ever had a failed ignition component until now. Dave, everything but the msd boxes were new at the beginning of the year. lol.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 7Al-2 Boxes go out and two of them would pop and bang real bad. I would assume the digital is similar to my boxes. Change box with a known good one.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rodney Pryor:
quote:

Many years ago we had a similar issue with the car missing and popping. After swapping several ignition parts, the problem was fixed when we bypassed by ARC switch panel like you have with a toggle switch for the ignition.

Mine wasn't as bad, just a random miss that slowed the car down .03. It wasn't a big deal, if it skipped I either didn't need to kill .03 or I would spray a little (depends on how I was dialed). I had (over)100% spares so I changed EVERYTHING, 1 part at a time, including the engine. Finally one day my car wouldn't start. I found no voltage from the ignition switch. I ran a wire from the water pump switch to the ign box. Car started and miss was gone. This was with a 7AL2, ~20 years ago.

I used to be a people person, but people ruined that.

Posts: 225 | Location: Usually home | Registered: January 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Car is fixed. Not exactly sure what fixed it since I was running low on time, but I'm guessing it was the coil or crank sensor.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I have had 3 7Al-2 Boxes go out and two of them would pop and bang real bad. I would assume the digital is similar to my boxes. Change box with a known good one.

I had a 7AL-2 bad right out of the box brand new.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Car is fixed. Not exactly sure what fixed it since I was running low on time, but I'm guessing it was the coil or crank sensor.

Great work, now go get em !!

Posts: 2459 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post