DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    I need help getting this car to run.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need help getting this car to run.
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted
My new roadster. Been racing it since Memorial weekend. Had one issue fathers day that caused a big miss, pop, bang about half track, but found the fuel shutoff was closing by itself. Fixed that and have run a few race weekends without issue. After two flawless time runs Labor day weekend, it starts popping and banging in burn box and down track. Not so noticeable on two step. Idles and drives perfect. Free revs perfect. Seems to only happen under load. Sbc 406, Toilet injected, msd digital 7, hvc 2 coil.

Heres what I've done/ replaced. Ignition box, crank sensor, put msd tester on complete ignition. Replaced cap, rotor, wires, and checked rotor phase. no magnets missing from crank trigger. Replaced distributor gear. Valve springs are only a half season old, but checked pressures. plugs are new, but looked at all of them. Inspected all nozzles. I'm using the same fuel, from the same can in my Cobalt with no issues. Timing is spot on at 36 degrees. I just put a new Ron's twin gear pump on it. I went 15 pill sizes rich with no noticeable effect. I'm not confident it's fixed yet and need more ideas before I go to the bracket finals.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
It's also not a tradition rev limiter activating. The motor feels like the crank is coming out the bottom when the popping and banging starts.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I know you looked at them but put new plugs in it

Posts: 26 | Location: washington iowa | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of rs72z
posted Hide Post
Just gonna throw this out, Check all grounds!

Posts: 206 | Location: texas | Registered: November 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rs72z:
Just gonna throw this out, Check all grounds!
Already did and the ground wire comes from the battery directly to the stud that the ignition stuff hooks to.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
I would be having a real good look at that HVC II coil. They are known to cause problems like this when they go bad.You can do a Sweep Test using a temp gun. I would just change out that coil to the MSD #8251 coil.

IHRA ACDELCO Canadian Nationals
Top/et Iron man Champion Wink
Don Davis 57 Corvette Super Gas roadster Cool
SDPC 582 Head Hunter on alcohol

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 57 Vette:
I would be having a real good look at that HVC II coil. They are known to cause problems like this when they go bad.You can do a Sweep Test using a temp gun. I would just change out that coil to the MSD #8251 coil.

Funny, several people I talked to said nobody ever has problems with those coils. I was going to replace it, but I was sticker shocked at the $250 price.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
remember simple things ,
master switch
battery
also i had a bad solder joint on a 12v wire do that once

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
I just put a new Ron's twin gear pump on it. I went 15 pill sizes rich with no noticeable effect. I'm not confident it's fixed yet and need more ideas before I go to the bracket finals.

99% of injection problems are electrical related.
Having said that I am wondering why the new fuel pump and more importantly what made you decide to go .015 richer?

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Funny, several people I talked to said nobody ever has problems with those coils. I was going to replace it, but I was sticker shocked at the $250 price.
You need to be talking to Pat Collins at TECH WEST about these coils.he gets back about 100 of these each year that have a internal short in them that normally takes the igntion box out with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 57 Vette,

Posts: 268 | Location: Toronto Ont/Surprise AZ | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Here is an electrical question.
When a fancy MSD coil is suspect is there any reason you can't use a common, cheap barrel shaped coil to test it?

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:
quote:
I just put a new Ron's twin gear pump on it. I went 15 pill sizes rich with no noticeable effect. I'm not confident it's fixed yet and need more ideas before I go to the bracket finals.

99% of injection problems are electrical related.
Having said that I am wondering why the new fuel pump and more importantly what made you decide to go .015 richer?

Dave, I wanted a new pump because I don't have a spare and my old pump was used when I started running it in 2011. I found nothing wrong with the original black pump, but decided while I was trying new parts, I might as well get another one. I've ran injection for 15 years with 0 problems. The only reason I suspected a pump problem is because this popping and banging was exactly like earlier in the season when my fuel shutoff closed half way on it's own.

I wanted to make a significant change to the fuel curve to try and isolate fuel from electrical.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Heres what I've done/ replaced. Ignition box, crank sensor, put msd tester on complete ignition. Replaced cap, rotor, wires, and checked rotor phase. no magnets missing from crank trigger. Replaced distributor gear. Valve springs are only a half season old, but checked pressures. plugs are new, but looked at all of them. Inspected all nozzles. I'm using the same fuel, from the same can in my Cobalt with no issues. Timing is spot on at 36 degrees. I just put a new Ron's twin gear pump on it. I went 15 pill sizes rich with no noticeable effect. I'm not confident it's fixed yet and need more ideas before I go to the bracket finals.

Did you replace all this and re-try on the track?

Posts: 2455 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
Granted, every pump will be different in it's flow curve.
Did you work your way back toward your original main jet?

Something electrical to add to the pile.
Batteries can get old before their perceived end of life, seem fine but under load the voltage can drop to the ignition box.

I think MSD says it will run on 9 volts.
My experience has been that if the box sees less than 12.5v things can get funky. Even lower is worse of course.

DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
The only reason I suspected a pump problem is because this popping and banging was exactly like earlier in the season when my fuel shutoff closed half way on it's own

check the lever for slippage

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1408 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:

Did you replace all this and re-try on the track?

Not really. Most of it I replaced at home after not finding anything. My problem is that I only have one race left and it's the finals, so not much time to try things....lol.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Koehler:
Granted, every pump will be different in it's flow curve.
Did you work your way back toward your original main jet?

Something electrical to add to the pile.
Batteries can get old before their perceived end of life, seem fine but under load the voltage can drop to the ignition box.

I think MSD says it will run on 9 volts.
My experience has been that if the box sees less than 12.5v things can get funky. Even lower is worse of course.

Yes Dave, I did put the normal pill back in. After researching the faulty coil theory, its pretty solid, as other symptoms are the same as mine. I have a new coil on the way to meet me at the track.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusty:
quote:
The only reason I suspected a pump problem is because this popping and banging was exactly like earlier in the season when my fuel shutoff closed half way on it's own

check the lever for slippage

Yes I did. The motor still shuts off like it did and I found no evidence that the lever is in a different position.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 57 Vette
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

You need to be talking to Pat Collins at TECH WEST about these coils.he gets back about 100 of these each year that have a internal short in them that normally takes the igntion box out with it.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

After reading some things, it sounds like my problem is the same as others that have had hvc coil failures. I have a new coil meeting me at the track tonight.