DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Best small air compressor
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best small air compressor
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am looking for a small, quiet air compressor for my trailer. My car gets the tire pressure set once a day and it’s usually within 2-5 pounds that it will need. I would like something small, something quality and preferably made in USA. Would like something that if I needed to bring the trailer tires back to 80psi it would work well. Won’t see any heavy use but would rather spend the money on the “Honda” of compressors that is US made if it’s available so it’s a one time purchase. Thanks guys.

Posts: 216 | Location: NJ | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Dewalt pancake style is fairly cheap and good piece. I have one we use on construction and run it petty hard and it takes it.We do go thru 1 every 12 to 18 months,but then again it can get run hard. Occasional use it should last 4 or 5 years if you drain condensate out once and while.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've never owned one but I've heard good things about Rolair compressors.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 465 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bracketracer-78
posted Hide Post
I just bought a porter cable. I haven't used it at the track yet but i did test it out and it seems like a decent compressor.

Posts: 141 | Location: Stevens, PA | Registered: April 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of diceman1530
posted Hide Post
https://www.makitatools.com/products/details/MAC700

I really like this one pumps up fast and quite.
2hp. And oil filled crankcase.

Working for the Weekend!!!!
Fordyce Motorsports

Posts: 252 | Location: Williamstown, NJ | Registered: November 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have the above listed Makita compressor. It does everything you are wanting.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have used a POS harbor freight small one for a few years. Quiet. Doesn't pull much current. And makes air super slow. My mother had a small (but bigger than the hf) Craftsman that she and dad had in the garage, and she didn't need it. I tried it the other day after it sat in the barn for a year and a half. Plugged it in, it didn't kick on. Bummer. Wait, tank is still full! Bled it down and it pumps up immediately to 120 psi. Got a new trailer compressor it appears.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We have been using a Craftsmen 6 gal. pancake for about 6 years at track. Use it at home also, still going strong.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2521 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by B KING:
We have been using a Craftsmen 6 gal. pancake for about 6 years at track. Use it at home also, still going strong.

That's the one. I need to come up with a way to mount it to the wall. We are really out of floor space.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Rolair for me, works great, can't even hear it come on

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

That's the one. I need to come up with a way to mount it to the wall. We are really out of floor space.

A racing buddy had his mounted on a small shelf high on the rear of the trailer wall. It was close to the ceiling. If I remember right it had a hose reel near also.

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2521 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Scotty, you want the Rolair JC10 plus

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
None of the above mentioned are made in the USA. The Rolair JC 10 is probably the nicest small compressor available. Oddly, it is one of the only offerings from them that is made overseas. California Air Tools makes a decent cheaper 1 HP model. It came here on a boat as well. I like to look for something that doesn't shut the generator down when it starts......

Posts: 146 | Location: Left of Center | Registered: February 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I did the homework and unfortunately, none of the 1-2HP compressors are made in the US. Before I purchased the Rolair JC10plus, I spoke to the owner of the company, the grandson of the founder. He explained that he had one of two choices, either not offer a unit in this size because he wouldn't sell any if made here or have it made in China, even with that, IIRC, they are the most expensive in this HP range. So I decided to buy from a US company who has been building compressors for 61 years now and who's entire line except these units are made in the USA.

That said, my criteria for this compressor was it had to be hand carry and had to be able to provide 100psi air and maintain it while I change valve springs at the track if need be and I've used it several times for that task.

Scotty, Rolair is " the “Honda” of compressors" , come see it at my trailer if you are at Numidia this weekend.

If it's beyond your price point, I'll sell you mine.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
I bought one of these off Amazon last year. Nice small lightweight and quiet, just what I wanted. I'm very happy with it.

Senco PC1010

Senco PC1010

This message has been edited. Last edited by: DLR,

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:

A racing buddy had his mounted on a small shelf high on the rear of the trailer wall. It was close to the ceiling. If I remember right it had a hose reel near also.

Slick.
One of those things that makes a day at the track easier. Just need to make sure it is solidly mounted so it doesn't come crashing down on Illinois roads.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Do to space limitations I’m thinking of separating compressor from tank and mounting tank underneath trailer floor that way it’s out of the way and just drain straight on ground

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have the Ridgid upright compressor because of space limitations. It's in the cabinet but it sure isn't quiet. It does work great and I've had it for several years. Whoops, I was gonna post a link but that compressor has been discontinued.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have the cheapo Harbor Freight one and like it. Have had it for about 5 years with no problems at all. Got my $39 dollars worth long ago.

The best? No, but well worth the money. Lightweight, fairly quiet and works well.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3992 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post