DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    starter not disengaging
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

starter not disengaging
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Maybe not a issue when firing car,but just spinning motor over the starter is not disengaging the flywheel. While its been some time since having race car with on board starter.I thought it should disengage once power removed. If I bump motor with wrench it disengages fine.

how much clearance between starter gear and flywheel? Right now there is some play when engaged but not much.

As usual for me every piece is custom and starter block is no exception.It bolts to motorplate and only way to gain clearance would be to elongate 2 of the 3 holes,but once done turning back almost impossible.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
It will disengage when the motor fires.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Was thinking that was case,but like I said been long time since playing with anything with onboard starter,those things are suppose to be hung on blower,because they to heavy to ride.LOL

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
If you are describing a automotive starter hung on the flywheel it should disengage.
A paper clip between the teeth usually works for a baseline clearance spec.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Using a remote ford solenoid?

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
no just a momentary switch.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Wide, turn the engine with a wrench in its normal rotation direction and the drive will retract

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
Wide, turn the engine with a wrench in its normal rotation direction and the drive will retract
yup

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea did that last night. Didn't think was big issue just wanted to dbl check. Final touches have cost more than anticipated and don't need extra thrown on for stupid sutff.

Dang you can spend a ton in nuts and bolts when finishing car. Maybe if not anal and replacing everything with new it wouldn't cost quite as much.LOL

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
You know you have it perfect when a Hitachi style starter retracts by itself when you stop cranking...

One thing that may hurt drive retraction springs is for them to stay engaged as the engine starts and the drive is still engaged and you are above idle.....from having to step on the gas as you crank it..

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
how tight is the engagement when you do it manually? I mean when you take a screw driver and manually shove the pinion into the flexplate? Mine was just a hair tight, so i drill the top hole on the starter from 3/8 to 7/16 and rolled the starter away from the flexplate. That freed the pinion on the starter up and it slid right into the flexplate. (jw wheel)

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Maybe its a JW flywheel thing.LOL I slotted two of 3 holes and moved mine .030 and loosened it some where pinion has a little slop when engaged but still stayed out.

Seems to have corrected it self from either use or the new 16 volt battery driving it faster. Heck who cares why its fixed,oh yea I do,Always have to know what fixed or caused it for next time.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Slick Vic:
It will disengage when the motor fires.

This

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Shim it down or is this a Horizontal mount?

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4470 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
no shimming here. Custom made block that bolts to motor plate, These after market Hemi blocks do not have starter mounting points , so Had to custom build all pieces invovled and there where a few.LOL

That is why I also make a second piece once all issues are worked out,custom means you are not going to buy one when you break one. Next one will be out of billet and require cpl hours on mill,so want to get this one working a perfect as possible,before making it.

DRR Elite
Picture of Bill Koski
posted Hide Post
The starter will always hang in the flywheel while cranking lashing valves or whatever.
If it engages every time don’t make a problem out of nothing.

TAKE IT TO THE BANK!!!!!
Later, Bill Koski

Posts: 11001 | Location: LAS VEGAS. NEVADA, US of A | Registered: December 03, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post