DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    First time on a chassis dyno
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First time on a chassis dyno
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cowl hoods are tremendously popular. But I've always wondered why one would turn their back on the ram air/cool air effect offered by a hood scoop?

In my case it's all about the look but the battle of warm under hood air VS cold outside air FOR BRACKET RACING is never gonna be settled LOL

quote:
Based on the results of others that have done the same over the years, I don't believe you see anything on the time slip.

Wouldn't surprise me one bit, our Firebird it way closer than the truck too. The grill on the truck is actually quite open so I'm sure it gets some decent movement going down track. We plan on changing up the look soon, so time will tell.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
did you have to change tires before the dyno session? I've heard that a chassis dyno will tear up slicks.

Posts: 455 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
did you have to change tires before the dyno session? I've heard that a chassis dyno will tear up slicks.

No I didn't , we did air them up to about 25 lbs though to prevent them from wrapping around the dyno hub wheel. The dyno is capable of simulating full quarter mile passes so I assume that would be much harder on the tires, we made rolling high gear passes only. Made 7 runs total and tires barely looked scuffed.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HS professor:
As mentioned, I'm new to alcohol and was kinda relying on Dean to point me in the right direction. He's probably dynoed hundreds of similar combo's and honestly I was a bit surprised we went with more timing but as soon as the wheels started spinning it did sound crisper. In hindsight we should have tried 32 to see what direction it went. We also went with a colder plug a week prior to the dyno. We had started the year with -8's and went to -9's. First to second run of the day was moving around a bit then it would settle in, plugs seemed to cure that.

Here’s an example of methanol with higher ignition timing https://www.yellowbullet.com/t...sbc-upgrade.2167562/

I believe you have a MSD Grid ignition, and moving the timing to see if the performance improves is a simple keystroke to adjust.

After viewing that YB thread, my engine has been run from 40* to 30* on the track using my Grid. My sbc combination likes 36-37*

Posts: 2429 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Here’s an example of methanol with higher ignition timing https://www.yellowbullet.com/t...sbc-upgrade.2167562/

I believe you have a MSD Grid ignition, and moving the timing to see if the performance improves is a simple keystroke to adjust.

After viewing that YB thread, my engine has been run from 40* to 30* on the track using my Grid. My sbc combination likes 36-37*

Interesting thread, Bill is local to us.

Yes we have the grid and I was gonna try moving the timing with it, BUT ....... it was just easier FOR ME to move the distributor Big Grin