DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Kolene Powerglide Transmission steels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kolene Powerglide Transmission steels
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Sonnax 10 clutch drum came with Kolene (coated) steels and smooth friction clutches, I assume to combat the static friction of having 10 clutches in play.

Anyone found through experience, benefits in running Kolene (coated) steels and smooth frictions in tandem, powerglide transmission?

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I need all the drag I can get in low gear, so my approach was to 86 the Kolene's for Raybestos steels & grooved frictions I get from TSI. I can barely turn the input shaft with transmission on the bench now, so that oughta help out!

From the Kolene PR I'm reading, their coated steels cope with heat better, and smooth frictions do supply for more friction area.

If someone says something good about em, I might use em down the line in something. I've never used em.

Maybe a BBC pump gas street car. Those get hot.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If I buy a new drum I will sand the black crap off, just snake oil IMO and stains the clutches. I do like the Alto smooth frictions for the additional grip. The Alto grooved frictions will apply slightly quicker because the oil has a place to go when squeezed. The Alto grooved are hard to find, Raybestoes are available from most anyone who sells clutches but at my HP level they do not hold up well. The way I look at it we don't have grooves in our slicks, why would we want them in our clutches?

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
There's an idea,Scotchbrite.

That's how I see as well Steve.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Yup, red scotchbrite and solvent and they will clean up nicely

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
When the pressure and clearances are right, they do not perform any better than any other "racing" clutch and standard raybestos steels. I prefer the standard steel, with the alto g3 black carbon lining clutches. The clutches are pricey, but they seem to take more, and are a high energy clutch, and are a little more "live" during apply.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
One thing i've noticed about coated steels on units I've opened up others did originally, is the coating has transferred on to the clutch (friction), and the steel is shiny.

That don't seem like it be the hot ticket.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Sonnax sells this 10 clutch Drum Kit with shiny clean steels, I think it's like $50 -75 less.

Nickels was out of stock on that Kit.

I just can't think of anything I'd use coated steels, I'm open for idea's though.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
Sanding the black off the kolene steels is actually taking off the coating. If you are doing this, save the money and order regular steels.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 704 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post