DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Brake pad suggestions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brake pad suggestions
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
Guys, what are your favorite brake pads?

I'm a footbrake racer and seek a pad with the best cold bite at the starting line, but at once must have low compressability for good pedal feel.

Hawk Performance tech recommended the HB119W.594 for my GM 'metric' calipers with its DTC30 compound, but I'm asking actual racer's opinions too.
The Hawk pads are about 95 bucks at Speedway.
Thanks!

Posts: 338 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
My experience using Hawk "black" GM style D52 pads on a footbrake car is that they hold the car no better than any aftermarket replacement pad while staged at RPM but provide better than average down track braking at the expense of severe brake dust and warping aftermarket rotors.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
My experience on my 3k lb Camaro is NAPA green box organic pads. They hold great on the starting line and work great scrubbing at the finish line. I don't have any problems with locking the fronts either. They are inexpensive so if you don't like them it didn't cost much to try them.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Ed, Eman thank you; that's the kind of answers I was hoping for.

Eman, I think I'll try those pads you suggested. However, aren't organic pads a bit more 'compliant' than semi-metallics, and tend to give a 'softer' brake pedal feel?

I plan to get my rotors turned, but until the new pads are bedded, it may throw off my judgement.

Thanks again,
Troy

Posts: 338 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
do not use any semi metalic pad in a footbrake car.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
do not use any semi metalic pad in a footbrake car.

Ed, why is that? Is it dangerous?
Thx
T.

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
No, lower coefficient of friction than organic pads, less bite when cold meaning less holding when at staged RPM.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
No, lower coefficient of friction than organic pads, less bite when cold meaning less holding when at staged RPM.

Ah, gotcha. I had my front rotors turned today to even out a few imperfections and get them ready for new pads.

I stopped at NAPA today to see about getting those organic pads that Eman had suggested, but I was told they don't carry them anymore. They told me they only had semi-metallic and ceramic.

For six years I raced with Hawk HPS pads on the front; a magnet sticks to the face of them.
A rep from Hawk advised me to get their DTC30 compound pads for footbrakeing, but man, they're nearly $100/axle.
Both Hawk pads are rated at a minimum of 100 degrees.

The rear axle had whatever pads came with the Eldorado brake kit from Right Stuff. A magnet sticks to them as well, so I ass/u/me that they are semi-metallic.

That perhaps explains why I could get at best about 2,600 rpm at launch before the converter would push through the brakes. ;^)

Thanks again.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
What Ed said is exactly right for a footbrake car.
If you have an O'Reilly store nearby, I use their cheapo pads, as of 2 years ago they were non-organic, and they hold great when cold at the starting line, better than any I've tried except for the old Napa non-o pads. And they work fine down-track. Might not trust them if I was driving down Pikes Peak, but brake fade from overheating is not something we bracket racers normally need to worry about.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1037 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Jim and Eman.
I picked up a set of 'organic' pads at O'Reilly's and I'll try them out. $16 per axle. Part # D154.

I worry some about a softer brake pedal, but we'll see I reckon.

Jim, did you mean 'non-asbestos'?
Cheers,
Troy