DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Shifting on time
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shifting on time
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RACER99O:
Yup I can fuc one up fosho. But the best quote I've heard in a long time was a few weeks ago when a guy told me "I test stuff, I work on my stuff, You're cars don't get better by hooking a battery charger up to them." I test stuff, I work on my stuff, You're cars don't get better by hooking a battery charger up to them.

oh... and I'll attest. I don't watch a lot of cars, but I watch Chris's. I learned a long time ago if you're gonna build 100k cars, you best learn to trust them.

SL...

100%

And don't let other people beat you down by saying you're going to screw it up. Every great tuner/car builder/engine builder/etc. out there didn't know a damn thing before they started trying things.

Everyone can figure it out, but you don't learn by allowing everyone else to tell you what to do. A great engine builder told me "I started building my own engines, because A lot of people pay someone else to blow their stuff up. I figured I can do that myself." Guess what he got good at it and is now one of the top in the country.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Talk about what you know, not what you think you know.

quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Further, we don’t race big $ traveling gambler races but

Oh the irony!!!! Big Grin

Power Tool

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Ive done both and didnt really see a difference. Both ways worked for me.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1988 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
EVERY single race car of mine has shifted/shifts on time for the last 20 years by choice. FAR more consistent than Rpm shifting. Proven time and time again (no pun intended). ESPECIALLY on marginal tracks.

Proven weekly, my cars will repeat with or better than any in the country with multiple different combinations of power.

Typically if the car loses anything up front it will recover some ET on time shifting, if RPM shifted it will always lose even MORE ET if traction troubles are encountered early in the run...years of observation involved here.

Chris, for setting your shift time, do you always keep the time the same no matter what the DA is on your weather station or what track your are competing at? Or do you vary the shift time you’ll use for an event based on what you figure the average DA will be for the day?

I ask this because as the weather gets better or worse using shift time, the rpm that the shift "completes" at will vary accordingly… ie….. better weather shifts higher rpm, worse weather shifts lower rpm based on time.

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
EVERY single race car of mine has shifted/shifts on time for the last 20 years by choice. FAR more consistent than Rpm shifting. Proven time and time again (no pun intended). ESPECIALLY on marginal tracks.

Proven weekly, my cars will repeat with or better than any in the country with multiple different combinations of power.

Typically if the car loses anything up front it will recover some ET on time shifting, if RPM shifted it will always lose even MORE ET if traction troubles are encountered early in the run...years of observation involved here.

Chris, for setting your shift time, do you always keep the time the same no matter what the DA is on your weather station or what track your are competing at? Or do you vary the shift time you’ll use for an event based on what you figure the average DA will be for the day?

I ask this because as the weather gets better or worse using shift time, the rpm that the shift "completes" at will vary accordingly… ie….. better weather shifts higher rpm, worse weather shifts lower rpm based on time.

For it to be an advantage, your looking for a certain rpm dependent on your engines power curve, for the shift to occur.

You might adjust the timer a tenth or two all year, no matter where you go,or time of year.

If you have a IKE box with a run replay, you're uptown. You'll never look at your racepak or grid run graph again, during a race.

With it you can scroll through the race rpm's in seconds, before you get out of the car at the trailer.

A friend has a Mega 450 for sale, I took it out of the 496 third gen Camaro we transformed back into a street car. I'm 99.9% sure it has a run replay. $100 plus shipping

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Payton:
Ive done both and didnt really see a difference. Both ways worked for me.

Same here, but lately both of our cars are set-up for time. I consistently go rounds & win races over the last 30+ years. It's working for me & I'll continue to do what the so called expert(s) think is wrong. Big Grin

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2539 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of NC3x58
posted Hide Post
As with literally everything in this sport, you HAVE to try things and see what works for you and your operation. Our dragster shifts on RPM using the shift light output on the GRID and it is one of the most consistent cars on any property its at. Camaro is also shifted on RPM because it doesn't always have the delay box in the car to be able to shift it, its a car that can run any class practically. If we were to ever 8.90 the dragster, we'd simply wire it up to shift while on the stop (time), no reason not to in that instance but as of now, have no reason to run the 8.90 stuff so it's not even wired to do it that way..

Nick Craig

1971 Camaro Split Bumper
376ci LS3

Posts: 410 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 28, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mike, I am interested in the delay box. Pm me the information on it.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wooley:
Mike, I am interested in the delay box. Pm me the information on it.

I've gotten a bunch of PM's, never sent one, not sure how.

PM me, I'll message you back my phone number.

It's a Mega 450 out of a Ray Miller dragster we replaced a IKE thumb wheel box in the third gen Camaro in 2017.

The guy with the Ray Miller dragsters gave it to me for doing a bunch of work on dragsters his daughters drive for him.

Works perfect.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Mike pm sent.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Camaro is also shifted on RPM because it doesn't always have the delay box in the car to be able to shift it, its a car that can run any class practically.

I’m sure you’re aware that with a Grid in Camaro you could shift on either RPM or Time.

My Grid is set up for both Time and RPM shifting. I have an over-ride that I can activate during the run bypassing both these shift settings and shifting at a higher RPM setting if desired. This over-ride can be done multiple ways even without a Grid.

Posts: 2453 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TORQIN:

Typically if the car

Its rare we are changing the timer to shift, when you go from sea level to Vegas its a must or really huge air swings which are rare. I may change it to get closer to a number if needed more so than changing it for condition changes.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A lot of good comments I guess a person just have to try whatever and do what is best for them

Posts: 30 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post