New
Find
Notify
Tools

No oil on prime
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Fresh BBC rebuild and no oil on rockers when primer tool running oil pump.
Why?

Posts: 481 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Does it build pressure?

Posts: 75 | Location: Bradenton | Registered: August 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of 1320racer
posted Hide Post
rotate the crank 90 degrees at a time and use a minimum 1/2" electric drill

Offering 1st hand experience and advice based on track proven performance, on the web since 1998.

"if you guys are so broke dyck you can't buy USA made parts you need to stay the fuc at home that's the bottomline" ----Tim McAmis

Support our country! Support our Troops! Support our economy! Buy American!!

Posts: 7798 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Is your primer tool just a shaft running the pump or does it seal up the oil passages by the distributor? I use an old duel point distributor with at the teeth ground off so it seals up the oil passages.

Posts: 2093 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
If you are running the primer tool and cant get oil pressure try unscrewing the oil filter a few turns. One time mine had an air pocket and I unscrewed the filter and it built pressure after that.

--------------------
Bob Payton
S/P, T/D, S/C, TOP
309Z, 393, 3093, 8X93

www.apdracing.com
www.diamondracecars.com
www.callies.com

Posts: 1882 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 14, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
On any prime whether it being an oil change or new build, I "Always" Fill the filter first

Posts: 247 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
SS427, can you feel if the pump itself is primed? (Loading of the drill motor)? Or is it free-wheeling?

quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
On any prime whether it being an oil change or new build, I "Always" Fill the filter first

X2. For almost 50 years. Same for a new build, or oil change on the race car, or the 262,000 mile truck. Wink

Dan "Jim" Moore
This year = "Transbrake Jim"
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Rotated crank, filter was filled, feel resistance on drill motor, ran several times for several minutes ea. time. Would hydraulic lifters cause this?

Posts: 481 | Location: Lakewood, Co. | Registered: January 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Do what Ed said do. Rotate crank 90 degree and keep priming. I assembled engines every day for 20 plus years, it is not uncommon for it to take up 30 minutes or more to get oil to all rockers when priming. Just keep going until you get oil, and using a primer with a bushing for the right side oil passage is a must.

Posts: 69 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of adv ET 266
posted Hide Post
what brand block and what oil limiters did you use?

Retired but use to own:
2005 2000lb 4 link dragster
home brew 582 BBC Dart 355
4.629@149
7.310@185

Posts: 12227 | Location: 33463 | Registered: February 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
Can you see the pressure gauge? Or enlist someone to watch it while you prime?

No oil leaks on floor? (Just asking, because a dear friend, experienced racer/builder, once forgot to ensure the rear lifter gallery plugs were installed - He did have plenty of oil on floor, and had to drop trans to install the plugs). Banging Head

Also, those same 2 rear pipe plugs/ports, there should be enough taper so the plugs snug up at close to flush with the bosses on the back of the block. But I have seen plenty of older blocks, after several rebuilds, where the new/aftermarket allen plugs will continue to turn until they completely enter the block, and presumably block the oil passages to the lifters. Not saying that is your issue, just one to consider.
Another factor - What oil viscosity? Back when I was using heavy oils, filled one BBC (near stock, non-race engine, std volume pump), with 20/50, and my weak cordless drill struggled to turn the pump with much speed, never could get oil out of the rocker arms even after much priming. I popped a couple of them off, and the pushrods were filled, so I put it back together and fired it up, no problems. But I did have pressure at the gauge, and was ready to cut it off immediately if anything looked or sounded wrong. Pulled a valve cover, and plenty of oil out of the rockers.
The tool I use has a big aluminum section that simulates the distributor body where the lifter gallery passages are located. Without that feature, you'll never get oil to the rockers. My first primer was home made from a large flat blade screwdriver, and I learned that lesson, 30+ years ago. Roll Eyes

Dan "Jim" Moore
This year = "Transbrake Jim"
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 405 | Location: Dallas, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
what block do you have ? the oldest of gen 4 required a different rear cam brg

Posts: 35 | Location: washington iowa | Registered: May 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
1967 MK IV block professionally prepped
10-30 oil
Same non-bushed priming tool I've used for 20 years with NO problems!
Engine is on stand- not in car
After 20 minutes of non-stop, high speed priming finally got some oil to some rockers.
Engine going in car tomorrow regardless and will fire in about a week- stay tuned.
Thanks for all the replies- very helpful!

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
A broken spring in the oil pump bypass, or stuck open piston will cause low oil pressure. A lot easier to remove the pan now and have a look.

Posts: 135 | Location: Midlothian, Texas | Registered: October 19, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS427IMP:
1967 MK IV block professionally prepped
10-30 oil
Same non-bushed priming tool I've used for 20 years with NO problems!
Engine is on stand- not in car
After 20 minutes of non-stop, high speed priming finally got some oil to some rockers.
Engine going in car tomorrow regardless and will fire in about a week- stay tuned.
Thanks for all the replies- very helpful!

THE 67 AND EARLIER BLOCKS REQUIRED A CAMSHAFT WITH A DEEP OIL GROOVE IN THE REAR CAM BEARING JOURNAL.

Posts: 171 | Location: SOUTH LOUISIANA | Registered: December 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Pro_ET
posted Hide Post
What weight oil are you trying to get through the cold engine manually cranking the oil pump with your primer tool?

My guess is it's too cold to get thick oil through it (using probably a battery operated hand drill). Oil has to make it all the way through the lifter bore and push rods to get up there.

Probably just need heat or thinner oil!

Posts: 187 | Location: Div 3 | Registered: December 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
THE 67 AND EARLIER BLOCKS REQUIRED A CAMSHAFT WITH A DEEP OIL GROOVE IN THE REAR CAM BEARING JOURNAL.[/QUOTE]
Lunati tech says that's only for 65 & 66 blocks. My previous cam didn't have that groove and ran it for 10 years.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Filling up any fluid filter, before installing, put unfiltered fluid, into the system.

Posts: 13 | Location: Irving, Texas | Registered: March 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of CH.CRAFT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SS427IMP:
THE 67 AND EARLIER BLOCKS REQUIRED A CAMSHAFT WITH A DEEP OIL GROOVE IN THE REAR CAM BEARING JOURNAL.

Lunati tech says that's only for 65 & 66 blocks. My previous cam didn't have that groove and ran it for 10 years.[/QUOTE]

I HAD A 396 BLOCK WITH A 1967 DATE CAST IN IT, I MANUALLY CUT A GROOVE IN THE REAR CAM BEARING FIT LIKE A 1968 BLOCK SO I DID NOT HAVE TO USE A GROOVED CAMSHAFT.

Posts: 171 | Location: SOUTH LOUISIANA | Registered: December 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Jerry Kathe
posted Hide Post
What is the current plunger depth in the lifters, meaning how far down is the push rod cup from the retainer? These are conventional hydraulic lifters, correct? They are not Rhoad's or other variable lifters are they?

Jerry Kathe

Posts: 114 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: November 11, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post