DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Need a new mid plate for 06 undercover
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need a new mid plate for 06 undercover
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
call him and maybe you could have it by week's end.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 146x:
Since this seems to be a common theme, where is everyone noticing the cracks?

Mine was cracked at the upper frame saddle bolt hole, both left and right sides

Posts: 2402 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
mine too and it seems chromed as mine was and coated plates are more prone to crack.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Had the cracks there also. I doubled up the mid tab. (Thicker). Also added 2 additional laterals.
no more cracks. Don't laugh at the Shield. just lazy. Reid case with the internal liner.Remember at the hit, the motor want to take a vacation rewards.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
Is there a common theme for this? All BBC's cracking? All 1000 plus HP? Are they all 1/2" plates? I have an 08 that has always had BBM in it, 1/2" polished, looks like new (so far). Just curious...

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
plates are 1/4" not 1/2"

DRR Pro
Picture of W.A.O. 111
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buck2248:
it is around the top bolt. I sent randy and email but have not heard back yet. when I get time I will call him. and yes trying to get a new one before taking the old one out so can keep racing.thanks for all the input.

just sayin . . . . knowin its cracked , umm, id feel a lil uncomfortable running it like nothing was wrong , and wondering if it will sure-nuff fail and cause much more serious issues . damn thing could hurt somebody ?

photo wao-painting-logo-1_zpse0a5ba9f.jpg

Posts: 338 | Location: chiefland fl. | Registered: March 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
mine too and it seems chromed as mine was and coated plates are more prone to crack.

Correct.......plating and coating are for show cars and have no business near any race car of mine. It's a proven fact that chroming embrittles aluminum.........BIG NO-NO.

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
my replacement midplate was not chromed or coated, rather polished.

DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
Mine is 1/2", maybe to mount BBM with PG. My engine bolts through the midplate with flathead screws, then the trans bolts to the mid plate.

Posts: 62 | Location: wisc | Registered: January 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
must be a mopar thing

DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
must be a mopar thing

It is......basically an adapter plate that changes the bolt pattern from Mopar to GM. Kinda like how Stahl header adapter plates work with a countersunk fastener.

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Tom H
posted Hide Post
So, safe to say a 1/2" midplate and less than 1000 hp should be safe? I clean mine after every race and have a little check list of possible loose / worn items i look for. Did not think this would be one of them until this thread.

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
in my opinion if everything is right, 1/4" aluminum will work fine, that all I have

This message has been edited. Last edited by: seabass,

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
well?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
Ed, I got up with S&W and they are not sure if any of the patterns they have are for the 06, so I would need to send the old plate to them. So not sure what we going to do yet, I know he has someone that can CNC one for him in town(Iowa) so we will see. but thanks for the help.

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Who did you speak to?

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Buck2248
posted Hide Post
The guy you said to talk to

Mike Buchwald

Posts: 538 | Location: Caledonia, Mississippi | Registered: January 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Call Randy back and tell him I said your midplate is the same as Jon Jon's

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buck2248:
Ed, I got up with S&W and they are not sure if any of the patterns they have are for the 06, so I would need to send the old plate to them. So not sure what we going to do yet, I know he has someone that can CNC one for him in town(Iowa) so we will see. but thanks for the help.

Buy some 6061-T6 material and with a jig saw, a grinder with some sanding disc and drill press you can make your own in less than 2 hours using your old one as a template

Posts: 2402 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post