DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    The bracket racing supercharger
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The bracket racing supercharger
 Login/Join

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
For a low boost bracket racing program, you are going to see more and more turbos as folks learn more about how they can work for us. Yes, EFI is probably a better route with turbos. But some are making blow through work well also. The amount of usable power made is more with the efficient turbo deal. If it leaves nice now, it will probably leave as well or better. With better et and trap speed. All considered, much cheaper than the blower in my experience.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe one of the issues with fast bracket racing with a turbo is you cannot rip the throttle driving the stripe, as soon as you lift you will lose all your boost

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yep. That is wrong. Mine stripes even better than it did na

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6405 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Lil brother has been running a turbo VR-6 for cpl years.Mainly a heads up VW deal or small tire stuff.

His biggest problem is getting staged and spooled up and hitting same spot on line while doing so. Even tried spraying it to get spooled quicker. While I can see turbo's becoming more popular in some forms of drag racing,I don't see them taking off in brackets anytime soon.

No expert but gaining some knowledge from working with him. I don't think ripping throttle would be problem as long as rpm are up and exhaust is spinning the turbo.

Injection is nice but I rather be blown.Never heard of being turbo ed.LOL

Then as former crew chief /driver/part owner in Top Alcohol cars I rather have the blower deal. As broke dyck I will have to play w/o a fan for a while.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
The key to remember with the hair dryers is that the knowledge base with them knows virtually nothing about how bracket racing works. Many will tell you that you want a small engine with low compression, and stick the biggest turbo you can afford on the top of it and make power. That just doesn't work for bracket racing.
Using a relatively large cubic inch engine with a relatively small turbo makes the staging problems less. Same with keeping the compression up a bit. 12.5 on methanol is still pretty forgiving depending on the head design. As long as you don't want to stick 30 psi on it! My 7.90's-8.0's small block went to 7.20's-7.30's with about 13 psi. Thicker head gasket(cometics), different cam, adjust the converter. I'm using EFI and that has been it's own learning curve for me. Much more complicated than the turbos really.
Absolutely the starting line tuning is more challenging. But using an SLE in box class makes some of that much easier. I don't (and won't) use a bump box feature.
I'm planning on seeing what it does for super comp racing.
Like everything else, it gets way more complicated when you start looking for those extra tenths and hundreds. The tires were great at 7.30's. Pain in the rear trying to go teens.
GT45 turbos are $178 a piece for the knock offs. A genuine Borg turbo approaches $1k depending. Probably more like $800. We don't need the $3500 monster turbos with ball bearings that some are using.

I do think these will start gaining popularity in bracket racing as people start to cross over. I'm seeing some of it already. The knowledge base for bracket racing just isn't very deep yet.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo