DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    TSR Transmissions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

TSR Transmissions
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
How about some credit where credit is due on parts venders.

Good venders are like good cops, you never hear about them.

So here's what happened, TSR sends me a REID Mopar bellhousing by mistake.

I call em to let em know, no big deal. Guy says no problem I'll send you a REID Chevrolet bell, and a UPS call tag for the Mopar Bell.

I get off the phone thinking to myself, wow that was way too easy, I wonder if I should've requested a 2 day delivery, TSR must be far from me because normally it takes four days, I say to myself nah, they're probably not a big outfit, 2 day delivery on a Bell is probably pricey, I'm good, no big deal, at least I didn't have to send the Mopar bell back before they'd send the Chevrolet bell, I'll have it by Tuesday, and take it for power coating,,,,, I'm thinking.

I just walked out front and it was sitting on my door step 2 day air delivery.

That's pretty damn nice of TSR I think, they didn't have to do that.

I buy from TSR because they have trick stuff, plus I used to talk with Karl (rip) on the phone a little here and there, about drag racing.

Their shift levers, hi flow filters kits and billet steel pressure plates are like no other, I've seen.

Thanks TSR, I appreciate your effort.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I also have a long-time good relationship with the company. Also, I think their parts to be top quality with fair market pricing. Karl, who was the Dad, wrote the Powerglide Bible that is one for the best how-to manuals.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
I also have a long-time good relationship with the company. Also, I think their parts to be top quality with fair market pricing. Karl, who was the Dad, wrote the Powerglide Bible that is one for the best how-to manuals.

Trick

Have you seen these billet steel pressure plates Larry?

No fluke pressure plate transmission failures using one of these.

I had a stock pressure plate break into pieces, kinda leery of a stock one now.

Good peace of mind item.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I did notice the pressure plate but "so far", have not used one, have not broken one. I have employed most of the mods Karl outlines in the "Bible" and have found them to be valid and worthwhile. With several situations I modified a Powerglide per the Karl's suggestion and saw an improvement of several hundred's with units that had too many clutches set up too tight.

It should be noted that my builds and my experience are with small block engines of around 750 horsepower or less. Of special note are racers who have a 10-clutch direct drum and too many frictions in reverse. Those cause too much internal drag and are not needed in those applications.

Off subject, I also find many racers who have the pinion preload and side bearing preload too tight for the lower powered setups. Because I have spent 60 plus years with lower horsepower builds, I have learned to reduce power losses in many ways.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1828 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I agree. Class outfit. Ordered some parts online. Realized I forgot something, called they through it in no charge! It was only like an 8 dollar part but still that SPOKE VOLUMES on what kind of outifit they run! TSR BIG THUMBS UP!

BG

Posts: 759 | Location: Florence, SC | Registered: August 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Woodfin:
I did notice the pressure plate but "so far", have not used one, have not broken one. I have employed most of the mods Karl outlines in the "Bible" and have found them to be valid and worthwhile. With several situations I modified a Powerglide per the Karl's suggestion and saw an improvement of several hundred's with units that had too many clutches set up too tight.

It should be noted that my builds and my experience are with small block engines of around 750 horsepower or less. Of special note are racers who have a 10-clutch direct drum and too many frictions in reverse. Those cause too much internal drag and are not needed in those applications.

Off subject, I also find many racers who have the pinion preload and side bearing preload too tight for the lower powered setups. Because I have spent 60 plus years with lower horsepower builds, I have learned to reduce power losses in many ways.

Always right?

It works the opposite too, in order to slow down a car that's 6.39 or slower legal.

I have a 3,000 hp high drum in my Nova shifting to high a hundredth after tranz brake release.

It takes another 2.5 hundredths for the shift to occur, so the shift actually occurs at peak flash stall, it really worked out well, smooth. Looking at the car going down track, you'd never know its in high gear for 630 ft. I like it a lot, took a handful of races to perfect, with the slow high drum loaded with clutches, as the icing on the cake, final ingredient.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
It takes good care of the tire. I can get away with a 8.5" wide tire no problem, and still go 110 - 111 mph 1/8 mile, dial'd 6.39 or slower.

I Love it. It'll be a threat to win, anywhere.

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
great people to deal with, very knowledgeable and never in a hurry to get you off of the phone. Dealt with their Dad years ago and they have kept the business and the service like he ran it.

Posts: 1453 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I sent my p/g case in for recert last Feb.
Was back to me very fast and the cost was very good
Anytime I needed p/g parts, gaskets I bought from them
Buy from good people that race themselves !

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post