DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Flo-fast pumps and alcohol
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flo-fast pumps and alcohol
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted
Looking at the Flow-fast pump for alcohol. Trying to find a easier way for my dad to fuel up the car when I’m not there. See Flo-fast has a 50501 pump and other places (Amazon, speedway) have a flu-fast 30301 but that number. It listed on flo-fast website....both look the same. Anybody use either one with alcohol? Want something that I can use in 5 gal jugs that will hold up for multiple seasons. I see a jegs brand as well, it’s in between the prices of the other two.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
pM sent

Posts: 27 | Location: Edna, KS | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
We have a Flo-fast and pump both gas and methanol with it. It operates fine. Our situation is a crew member who is very helpful, very willing, but not able to easily lift fuel jugs. We also have the jug cart.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1830 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
keith in jr's trailer we use a air operated pump and a long hose to service both cars.there air other 12 volt and ac pumps available also.i ran one of those hand pumps way too much when i was young,dont want too again lol

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1409 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
Comparing a Flo-Fast to a hand pump, is like comparing a backhoe to a shovel. The very last thing you want to do to an alcohol drum is put warm moist air in it.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Roger McGinnis:
Comparing a Flo-Fast to a hand pump, is like comparing a backhoe to a shovel. The very last thing you want to do to an alcohol drum is put warm moist air in it.

My system doesn’t put air in the barrel at all

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:

My system doesn’t put air in the barrel at all

Cool, looks expensive.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:

LMAO, since that is the same pump we use on the dyno to supply 2000HP methanol engines, do you think it's enough? Big Grin

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1298 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
I was one of the first flo fast dealers in Texas.
The original ones had a seal issue (leaking) which they sent out improved seals for those sold.
The only other issue I have had with mine is after it sits for a while the vanes dry out and it will not pump until primed. I always leave a little fuel in the hose, drain it back to the pump and issue fixed.
Haven't heard of any issues with gasoline.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:

IMHO, anytime you pull alcohol out of the drum with a pump, that same warm moist air has to go in to the drum to replace the alcohol you pump out anyways.

How many of you cap off the fuel tank vent in your car when the engine isn't running to prevent moisture being absorbed by the alcohol in the tank? I do.

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
quote:

IMHO, anytime you pull alcohol out of the drum with a pump, that same warm moist air has to go in to the drum to replace the alcohol you pump out anyways.

How many of you cap off the fuel tank vent in your car when the engine isn't running to prevent moisture being absorbed by the alcohol in the tank? I do.

I only said that because when you first mentioned a "drum pump", I incorrectly thought you were talking about one of the systems that pressurizes the drum. I didn't imagine a bracket racer using a $1,000.00 pump to get his fuel out of his drum. Measureable water absorption isn't instantaneous, so, the short time it is in the tube or even in the tank holds little water (pun intended).

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by "The Bender":
quote:

I only said that because when you first mentioned a "drum pump", I incorrectly thought you were talking about one of the systems that pressurizes the drum. I didn't imagine a bracket racer using a $1,000.00 pump to get his fuel out of his drum. Measureable water absorption isn't instantaneous, so, the short time it is in the tube or even in the tank holds little water (pun intended).

To Bender's point, what difference does the pump mechanism make? You can't roll the empty part of the drum up tight like a bag of chips to keep the air out. The drum is always filled with fuel AND air, in various quantities.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
there are some things in life that evens theories are good,you just don't know the difference

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1409 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of NEMO963
posted Hide Post
Picked up a flow-fast, teamed it up with a small cart and a 15 gallon jug, tried it out and works great.

We use a pump like JR has on our hazmat rig as a transfer pump, they work great. As far as drums go we sometimes purge the air out of the tops of barrels with water reactive
Chemicals using inert gasses (nitrogen or similar) although it would only ale since for methanol of you were storing it long term.

2015 M&M T/D
Nemo
Duty-Pride-Tradition
FTM/PTB

Posts: 312 | Location: Firehouse 10 Wichita Ks | Registered: February 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lenny5160:
To Bender's point, what difference does the pump mechanism make? You can't roll the empty part of the drum up tight like a bag of chips to keep the air out. The drum is always filled with fuel AND air, in various quantities.

It makes a lot of difference. Compressed air typically has a lot of moisture in it due to the temperature of compressing. Once it cools back down, that water condensates. The only moisture available in the drum is humidity which should be considerably less than compressed air. I haven't seen many dryer set ups in race trailers. With Benders money, he might.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ