DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Co2 tanks questions.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Co2 tanks questions.
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted
I have been asked to drive a really nice car for a guy and get it dialed in and working good. It has C02 chute launcher and shifter. I have never used those systems, have always felt it is something else to forget to turn on or will run out of air when you need it. He has told me I can do what ever I want to the car but still it is his car and if the C02 system works well I do not want to change it. I do not mind buying a spare tank in fact I think a friend has some.

I will NOT be adding a compressor. Period, not going to happen so do not even mention it. Before I do that I would change them to electric shifter which I prefer anyway and standard spring for chute. I am not going to complicate it and add more junk.

With that said how long are those who run them getting out of a tank?

Do you like the air / C02 systems?

I guess some run air in the C02 bottles? What pressure?

Does the C02 last longer than air? I have some 5000 and 6000 PSI air compressors I could fill a smaller 4500 PSI fireman's type tank and use it to fill the small tanks.

Does anyone use the electric solenoids that turn it on when ignition is on?

Thanks in advance.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3971 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Congrats on finding a dumbass more clueless than you!

It’s 2022, throw the CO2 tanks(s) in the weeds and install a compressor. NahNahTounge

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Can you not read? Do you not understand English?

I said I am NOT going to install a compressor. So what does internet idiot say? Put a compressor on there.

I would rather change to electric shifter solenoid before I did that. If it was my car I would not have ever put C02 on there in first place. Sure not going to put a compressor on there adding more wiring, weight and plumbing. Plus there is not a good place to put one on this car. It is not going to happen.

If you do not have anything intelligent to say then just STFU. Of course that never stopped you before.

Why can't anyone ask a simple question with out your silly insults and BS? Why does Scott put up with this bull? You and Retard are special.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 3971 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
If Its not your car, leave the Co2 system on. Lots of racers still use them. Co2 is a liquid that is compressed, so you filling the bottle with compressed air will not last long, dont even try it. I used Co2 for years with with the small bottle operating the shifter and SLE. I would swap the bottle once maybe twice a year. Always had a spare in the trailer. As far as the chute, unless your going over 180mph in the 1/8th your not going to pull it anyways. But the air launchers make it super easy to pack, I love mine.
For what its worth I switched from Co2 to a compressor 4 years ago and would never go back.

Posts: 2403 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
If Its not your car, leave the Co2 system on. Lots of racers still use them. Co2 is a liquid that is compressed, so you filling the bottle with compressed air will not last long, dont even try it. I used Co2 for years with with the small bottle operating the shifter and SLE. I would swap the bottle once maybe twice a year. Always had a spare in the trailer. As far as the chute, unless your going over 180mph in the 1/8th your not going to pull it anyways. But the air launchers make it super easy to pack, I love mine.
For what its worth I switched from Co2 to a compressor 4 years ago and would never go back.

Thank you, and yes the air launcher is easy to pack. I do like that.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I switched from Co2 to a compressor 4 years ago and would never go back.

Big Steve…KNOWS Laughing very hard

The dumbass that started this thread is clueless!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
When someone starts with insults it is because they have nothing intelligent to say.

Sometimes it is better for people to think you are an Ediot than to open your mouth and prove it.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
I have been asked to drive a really nice car for a guy and get it dialed in and working good. He has told me I can do what ever I want to the car but still it is his car and if the C02 system works well I do not want to change it.

Curly,

The last/only time I used CO2, was when I was driving a truck for the owner in 2004-2006. This is what I remember: we had 1 in the truck plus 2 spares & I think we went to the auto opening solenoid. Sorry, I don't remember more; used to have all my records/notes, but got rid of them when he sold the truck.

Now, this is my opinion: focus on your 1st sentence. Work on the basics of getting it to work. Apparently, this guy is apprehensive about driving the car or he's going to put someone else in or other reasons for you being the tester.

Working good: put none of your money into it. Again, you're a tester for whatever reasons. Above everything else make sure the car is safe. "He has told me I can do what ever I want to the car" Get the car working good, while making suggestion/recommendations & by all means spend none of your personal $$$.

Dialed in: to me, should be the person who's going to be racing the vehicle. It needs to be tailored to their liking, not yours.

Sorry, just a few quick thoughts on the subject. Smile

As for the Clueless..... #1 Loser B1tch has the US patent on being clueless while sitting in the driver's seat with his brain bucket on & trying to compete (failure). Hence the reason he's not competing in the seat. He does have the MONKEY SEE....MONKEY DO.... Top Fuel Wanna-Be Headset down pat though!

Laughing very hard
#1 B1TCH

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2498 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Just be sure to shoot your mouth off when I’m standing in front of you.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I forgot #1 Loser, keep enjoying:

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2498 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Curly, I run a co2 shifter on my car. Chutes are manual. I've had an electric and I'll never have another. Yeah, you can forget co2, I've done it, but it still works well. The car shifts when it's supposed to and has been very consistent. I was given a 20lb mother bottle by a friend, and have used it to fill my small bottle on the car. Only time I've had to fill it is when I leave the bottle on after I leave the track, as I have a small leak in one of the fittings. Never an issue at the track and my bottle pressure stays about the same the whole time...I'm going to replace all the fittings over the winter so that will be a non issue once I get back out. With just the shifter using co2, I usually don't have to refill the bottle at all during the season....

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Again....Where were you at this past Vegas National & Divisional events, home being a #1 Loser! That being said again, your Northeast real racers were out here racing. Plus, one decided to pretend he was you, he got greeted back with nice to meet you #1 Loser B1tch. He quickly made it clear he was not you. We got a good laugh out of it at your expense.

Now, continue on with your 2-year-old temper tantrums. I'm glad you don't like the real TRUTH & FACTS about YOURSELF. You back them up as being correct with your TANTRUMS. Keep on self-admitting! Wink

Curly, sorry for muddling up your thread.

2BKing out

Relaxing

1980 Camaro
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Congrats on finding a dumbass more clueless than you!

It’s 2022, throw the CO2 tanks(s) in the weeds and install a compressor. NahNahTounge

Because Hoosiers don't leak air.... Laughing Hard

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1606 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
They don’t! Spitting

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I had C0-2 on my car and never had a problem
Electric valve shut off tied to ignition
Had 3 bottles and a paint ball store a mile from my house. 3 bucks to fill one anytime I went there
At the track at most races someone was there that could fill one if needed.
My bottles lasted a long time mounted upright
I made up my own refill bottle and braided steel hoses. A 20 lb steel bottle from a welder supply business I do work for.
I could fill my bottle in minutes and never needed a scale.....Just let it go till it stopped and pressure never exceeded 1500lb. well under the blow off safety cap

Air shifter, air plate throttle stop regulated down to around 90lb.....and I also used an air inline stop at times.....

Not once did I ever have a problem.....No leaks no fail to shift

The only bad run I ever had was from a bad ground wire on my t-stop solinoids...It decided to break during rd 1 of an event ...

A compressor system is great but not needed at all if your air stuff is good....and you're equipped right

I eyeballed my pressure gauge regularly.....if it was below 500lbs I swapped out bottles or refilled it on the spot

I gave that refill setup to a good friend after selling all my stuff.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Curly,

I use CO2 to shift and work my pro stage.
I have a mother bottle in the trailer just in case, which I've used a few times. Also, helped others at the track. I do have the Dedenbear shut off solenoid.
Not related to original question, but I also have a sensor in line to monitor pressure through my data logger as I cannot see the gauge from where the bottle is.

I do not like electric as it draws a ton of current or so it seems. Solenoids seem to get very hot.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3303 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've always used CO2 shifters and SLEs.
Turn bottle on at beginning of the day and shut it off at the end.
10 oz CO2 bottles last plenty of passes.
Would not recommend using air like posted earlier.
I do have a 10lb bottle to refill the 10oz without having to take it out of the car.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: M120,

Cool

Posts: 619 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: March 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
My brother and I use CO2, but only for shifters. My 10 oz. bottle lasts a couple years. His 2.5# bottle has been filled twice in probably 10 years.

Posts: 1108 | Location: OklahomaCity,OK | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
I run a 5lb co2 bottle and have for years with zero issues for starting line enhancer, shifter and two air launchers. Never forgot to turn on or off. There are electric operated solenoids you can use tied into your main power or switched accessories to open and supply pressure. I keep a spare and get them filled at a welding supply shop for like 5 bucks and they last a LONG time.

Posts: 1234 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the intelligent responses and private messages. I believe I will try it for a while and if I do not like it then change them later.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"