DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Opinions on best Rods and Cranks.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on best Rods and Cranks.
 Login/Join

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Eagle Crank in 650 hp sbc. Broke the front cheek at the 7/8 and came out the back of a SHP engine.

[/QUOTE]

I had good luck with Eagle cranks and rods in one of my own BB engines.....

You obviously did not

I have seen posts of a broken Callies Magnum 4340 BB crank with very low runs

Oliver rods also....

I never saw any failures...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Amazing... they always blame the rod don't they?

Rod bolts?? whats that lol Called improper yield and stretch. > Cycles.... Too many will get ya most of the time.

A racing buddy posted pictures of his 632 I think it was with holes in the pan

A motor he bought used... and he said a ROD BOLT broke

The next set of pictures he posted showed a blackened rod and crank and a twisted broken in 2 Oliver rod....

I responded by telling him straight out a rod/crank that's black spun a bearing first and then stuff broke.....heat does bad things to metal.....LOL!

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:

Rod bolts?? whats that lol Called improper yield and stretch. > Cycles.... Too many will get ya most of the time.

Oliver BBC rods plus 250 runs equals Kaboom and it is not the rod bolts at least not directly! Their design includes a very short rod bolt to gain clearance at the expense of the strength of the rod cap! Take a look at their BBC cap and say a Callies and you will understand!

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
quote:

The next set of pictures he posted showed a blackened rod and crank and a twisted broken in 2 Oliver rod....

I responded by telling him straight out a rod/crank that's black spun a bearing first and then stuff broke.....heat does bad things to metal.....LOL!

Rich

There's not a rod out there that will withstand a spun bearing failure for long! The crank wins that battle 9 time out of 10!!!! LOL

Posts: 2145 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TOP38:
quote:
quote:

Rich

There's not a rod out there that will withstand a spun bearing failure for long! The crank wins that battle 9 time out of 10!!!! LOL

Exactly My point Al but for some reason many people don’t recognize the obvious.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was under the assumption that Molnar stuff was import made but don't know if that's correct

It is hard to tell where things are made now and stuff made in China is getting better every day. Like it or not.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3976 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Molnar is definitely Chinese junk!

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
My next crankshaft will most likely be a Crower. Have a set of rods.
Bryant is out of American forgings, as is Molnar and Winberg. Their American steel units are the billet only. Crower has a few forgings left..
Bryant tried to buy the forge tooling from GM, but it was scrapped instead.
Speaking of regular SBC stuff only, this is what my shopping has revealed.

I was under the assumption that Molnar stuff was import made but don't know if that's correct

Correct, at the least, foreign sourced materials.
There are NO American steel FORGED SBC crankshaft raw forgings being produced. Probably never again. It would seem that they were all from the GM forging plant for many years.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1609 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:

Correct, at the least, foreign sourced materials.
There are NO American steel FORGED SBC crankshaft raw forgings being produced. Probably never again. It would seem that they were all from the GM forging plant for many years.

America has lost the ability to build many things, Computers, cameras, Tv's, much of our machining and forging, and once it is gone it is hard to get back.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3976 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Nothing that a war with China can’t fix and reboot our supremacy but the swamp in Washington is afraid of China and more to the point afraid of the backlash from corporate America who they work for and rely on their $ to stay in power and then there’s the dumb Americans that don’t care about anything but the price with no concern for where their $ really goes and thats to build china’s military and economic strength. It’s not if but when they will be the #1 super power in the world but don’t worry those here responsible for funding china’s war machine will be dead when it happens so they’ll never get to see what they are responsible for, they’ll leave that to their children and grandkids.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 1320racer,

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Lunati pro crank and rods here. 3.875 23 degree 427 sbc.

Home built.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
What are you building? Callie’s crank and rods would be just fine in most applications. I believe one of the nicest cranks on the market is probably Bryant, but most have no reason to spend that money

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1: As for the broken Eagle crank above they are fairly low cost and not top of the line. I do think they will continue to get better as they are doing a large volume. I would not consider Eagle as Best Crank and Rods but I do think they have their place.

I agree Curly.

That Eagle 3.480 crank was from 2012 with less than 250 runs and the engine builder I used said it magnafluxed good and to use it in a new SHP engine @650 hp tops. It failed in less than 150 runs.

I switched engine builders and they recommended Compstar crank / rods that are in both of my engines at 700 hp. My first engine was rebuilt at 500 runs (spare now) and my present (both Darts) has over 600 runs leaving it in until 1000 runs.

Posts: 2441 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Compstar is also a made in China piece....

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Compstar is also a made in China piece....

That is correct. I called Callies 2015 prior to purchasing from engine builder. Callies said Compstar was their forgings from China, inspected and machine finished in USA and acceptable at 700 HP. So far I find the quality to be correct based on what the engine builder said of first engine rebuild and service to date of second.

Posts: 2441 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The older Callies stuff is almost indesructable my old 3.25 Magnum crank has been in my engine since 2003 hate to have to buy new now with them all from oversea forgings

The difference between ignorance and stupidity. Ignorance is lack of knowledge. Stupidity is the inability to learn. Don't be stupid

Posts: 396 | Location: des moines iowa | Registered: January 10, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1: As for the broken Eagle crank above they are fairly low cost and not top of the line. I do think they will continue to get better as they are doing a large volume. I would not consider Eagle as Best Crank and Rods but I do think they have their place.

I have run the sbc eagle bottom end 6.90's 195. Whatever HP that is. I wish the pistons lasted as long!

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6367 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
I have run the sbc eagle bottom end 6.90's 195. Whatever HP that is. I wish the pistons lasted as long!

Nice! I think that's pushing the limits, how many runs on the bottom end?

1980 Camaro
Taking the Best Working Small Tire Shyt Box & making it Greater Than Before!
3000 lbs.
Pump Gas 436

Posts: 2502 | Location: NV. | Registered: October 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post