DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Tansmission case steel insert
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tansmission case steel insert
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Do you have one in case. Bought used BTE case and trying to decide If I want it in there or not. Yea I know safer and probably best and only 3 lbs.BUT

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wideopen231:
Do you have one in case. Bought used BTE case and trying to decide If I want it in there or not. Yea I know safer and probably best and only 3 lbs.BUT

If something goes horribly wrong, some scumbag who doesn't know chit from chinola will come along and use it as a loop hole against ya, even if you're no longer with us, whether it had anything to do with it or not.

I'd install the scatter shield if I were you.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Trim this piece off. You can thank me later.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
No reason not too and safer if you do.....3 lbs isn't crap when compared to something coming apart, and your car won't ever know the difference in weight......

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1468 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
quote:

If something goes horribly wrong, some scumbag who doesn't know chit from chinola will come along and use it as a loop hole against ya, even if you're no longer with us, whether it had anything to do with it or not.

I'd install the scatter shield if I were you.

I agree....
Scumbag = lawyers

Dave

F J B

Posts: 4467 | Location: Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Not the place to lose 3 Lbs in a front engine dragster right where your legs are. (or used to be if it blows up!) Have you seen the video where the guy in a door car blew up transmission on the starting line? Nope, leave the steel blanket in there.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4018 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:

I thought only the Reid/Dedenbear cases used a steel liner.
My BTE case never had one.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Another thought.
If the case requires a liner, can you just send the liner in for re-cert?
JK just wondering.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3309 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
quote:

I thought only the Reid/Dedenbear cases used a steel liner.
My BTE case never had one.

Dave

Reid two piece was the original / authentic no scatter shield aftermarket SFI case.

BTE is a Reid clone.

The old one piece design cases still require and are furnished with scatter shield, yours is a Reid two piece clone, no scatter shield required, or furnished.

If a guy trims the shield here, it's no big deal to work around.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
When I first bought it I figured it had something to do with Reid as BTE didn't have a bell housing for a mopar. So they sent me a REID. I thought it was odd that BTE "made" a case that a Reid bell would fit.

Dave

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
When I first bought it I figured it had something to do with Reid as BTE didn't have a bell housing for a mopar. So they sent me a REID. I thought it was odd that BTE "made" a case that a Reid bell would fit.

Dave

That's a really nice design SFI PG case you have, I'd be very pleased with it. State of the art.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's a really nice design SFI PG case you have, I'd be very pleased with it. State of the art.

I'm very pleased with it, in fact I want to buy another so I can build a spare.

I also have a JW case with bell that I bought off of the late Transman years ago. It has/had a few issues. The post for the parking paw return spring is tapered to much, also the bearing in the rear of the case will fall out when case turned upside down when empty. It still works fine but something I'm not happy about.

Dave

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm very pleased with it, in fact I want to buy another so I can build a spare.

I also have a JW case with bell that I bought off of the late Transman years ago. It has/had a few issues. The post for the parking paw return spring is tapered to much, also the bearing in the rear of the case will fall out when case turned upside down when empty. It still works fine but something I'm not happy about.

Dave

All the aftermarket SFI PG cases are a huge step up from a stock case, even a JW with issues, I mean imagine a stock case in your car, that would be scary! I've seen stock case PG's come apart firsthand, had to duck walking alongside the burnout box, when one came apart in a dragster.

Although, when Reid came out with their two piece cases, I took one look at it, and thought, this is like jewelry. They're nice! First one I saw was a Coan Pro Mod version with a metal can- bellhousing at PRI.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The two piece Reid design is modular design, the bellhousing bolted on the case lends added strength to the case. Nobody has ever told me this, but from looking at it, I think the fashion in which the bellhousing bolts to the case, is what allows it to not need a scatter shield.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
If one has the insert and one does not .How important is is? Don't get me wrong I see where it would be greatest thing ever if shyt happens. Kind of like firesuit. Damn hot heavy pos unless you are riding down track in a fire, then its greatest thing you can think of.
BTE is already 8 pounds lighter than the JW it is replacing even with shield and 11 w/o.

I bought the one that Banjo cracked the housing one. Since I run a JW Hemi bell that bolts to pump All I needed was case w/o bell. Plus I sold the JW off for little more than I paid for it. Made cpl bucks and shaved at least 8 lbs off car.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4192 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
The Reid PG case I just got, after a long wait, does not have a steel internal liner like my old Reid case. There is a notice on the installation instruction sheet saying: "This replacement Powerglide transmission case is SFI 30.1 & 4.1 certified. It requires NO internal liner and NO external shields." I don't know if they actually made the case thicker? Or Reid Racing just got the old PG case design SFI certified without the steel liner?

Posts: 5 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:

It weighs 3 lbs and may save your legs. even your life. "BUT" WHAT ?

Posts: 33 | Location: next door to you | Registered: February 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
My ATI cases came with the internal shields.....

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post