DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Poor Shaft Rockers. This was bad idea
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Poor Shaft Rockers. This was bad idea
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
posted
Dremel for pushrod clearance. I don't recommend this. Terrible idea.

Anyone else made this mistake?

Warning, It won't work.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I have to give you credit on this deal. That’s how most of us learn, by making mistakes. Hopefully you’ll get things worked out.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I figured I'd throw it out with images of what won't work, not a good idea. It actually could've been worse, we had luck on our side because we made 8 or so pulls on the dyno and it had quite a bit of run time on it. We had a couple different converters in the car running and three different carbs getting everything ready. Finally ready to take it to the track and it broke a intake rocker backing out of the shop to put it in the trailer, which worked out good! Could have been much worse at 8000 plus rpm! This oughta fix her up permanent. These should've been on it from the git go, we're blessed being cheap didn't come at a higher cost to us.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Geez. Who's geometry idea was that? That last pic, looks like it's half way out of the rocker cup.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I was trying to find a photo to see it better, but the cup is the end of the pushrod , the rocker has a ball adjuster.

The camshaft is approaching an inch lift, 450 on the seat, 1400 plus open spring pressure.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
No offsets on the rollers?

Posts: 1408 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Yeah, offset intake.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Great you caught it. Should make some steam. Now you need a lighter car lol Jk lol

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Yessir, I'm pretty pleased it didn't make it down the track! We're fixing to run this thing at Lights Out, if you're not doing anything that day check it out. Pretty cool new class they've put together DXP Street it's basically 3000 pds, sbc, sbf, sbm limited to cheater plate (350hp all it'll do) they hand you and put a seal on after you put it on the car, 4150 carb with cast base plate, 4150 un-welded on intake and a 275 DOT radial tire. We had to scramble around for a carb and intake because we had a dominator carb and intake on it. We finally got our hands on an intake Yesterday. It looks like we're gonna make it untested but that'll make it interesting. Should run alright we've been five teens 3-4 years ago before we started this engine project, with way less.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I think the hopes are is that it'll be a 5.0-5.1 class at the top of the heap, and it could be. I could be wrong but I'm thinking it'll be a little better than that looking at some of the cars in the class. I'm pretty sure there's a live feed of the race. This class has never been run before, so it's kinda up in the air where it ends up landing.

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Rietow:
These should've been on it from the git go, we're blessed being cheap didn't come at a higher cost to us.

Are these Crower ??

Posts: 2432 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
That's Jesel MarkeMark so we were able to use the stands at least. When the owner brought the aluminum rockers over originally I didn't have the heart to to tell him they weren't gonna be what we really needed after the money he had already shelled out plus this stuff is special order so we were kinda stuck with it, along with the fact at the time there were a couple racers we were aware of getting by with similar combo's to ours, running the jesel aluminum rockers who have since also went with a steel rocker. So, over time I told the owner we'll get this thing running, run it on the dyno a little and at that point he could make the call on how to proceed. The aluminum Jesel rockers are killer for typical applications but I posted this here so no one makes the mistake we did pushrod clearancing them. It's a good product but just never belonged in this application. I'd never touch em up for clearance again for a typical application either though. This is my suggestion, don't make the mistake I did. I believe if we had went with a tapered pushrod, we would have gotten some amount of service out of them, it's just so much better to assemble something permanent from the git go, preferred pushrod steel rocker.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Pushrods getting one or two day air for shortening Monday first thing. The amount of adjuster above flush the top of the adjuster nut, is the amount the pushrod is too long. No big deal, we'll have em back next Friday and be down to just getting the intake work completed.