DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Rear coil over spring rates what do you run
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rear coil over spring rates what do you run
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Just wondering what weight rear spring you folks run with a 2600 lb door car. I haven't scaled my front to rear so I'm not sure there , its a sbc aluminum head 96 inch wheel base.

I am currently running a 95 lb spring with QA1 single adjustable
406 sbc 1.76 glide with 5.13..... 60s usually 1.29 or so

Posts: 63 | Location: Horse Cave Ky | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have a vega,2550 lbs same engine and trans. Less gear, I am at 4.56. Car is 53% rear weight, use 110 lbs springs. Single adjust strange rear shocks with ladder bars.14x32 my stiff sidewall slicks.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Hey Wooley thanks for the reply I have a Alston kit Monza so we are very similar. Do the 110s work OK for you. My car was bad about being on the bumper and I adjusted the shocks and took some leave out of it timing , RPM and it tamed it a lot but seems like the 95 springs are a little light as sometimes on the return road with a little dip it will bottom out. I thought of going to a 110 but don't wont to upset the current set up as its very consistent. The bottom out thing doesn't bother me that bad but thought a little extra spring may help all the way around.

Posts: 63 | Location: Horse Cave Ky | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
The 110s work best of what I have tried. Tried 95, 125, 150 then 110. 95 seemed to soft. 125 was ok but 110 springs 60ft better. The 150 the car would bounce or porpoise all the way down track. My car is a jegster kit car originally built around 1990 to run super gas. It will stand on the bumper with no problems. Plan to try some different front shocks this year that I hope calm that down some. In braket mode it will ride the wheels here almost to 60ft. Actually have tripped the 60ft timers with back tires once.

Posts: 493 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Same here with 60s on the rear wheels. Terry Coyle (youtube fame ) built this car back in the day he told me when I met him once at Ohio Valley the car always left on the bumper and he won a lot with it. I have no issue with that as long as it repeats other than having to abort a run suddenly and damage to oil pan and headers or getting to close to other lane which have both happen in the past. I chose to calm the car down and hope to still go consistent numbers and be competitive.

I think I will try some 110s and see if it will tighten up. on a good track it will repeat almost to the 000s if the driver shows up it will go rounds. Thanks again for your input

DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
https://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_tech_articles.html
Look at the tech articles there's some guidelines for spring rate. I use 110's on my 3k lb Camaro.

Posts: 1461 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Eman that's a lot of very useful info

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
110# on the back of my car. 12 way double adjustable shocks. Race weight is around 3000 pounds and although it's still nose heavy, I can carry the front end past the 60' mark with good track prep.

Springs hold up the weight of the car at the desired ride height. Shocks control the spring movement. Too stiff of a spring and there's very little movement so the shocks don't have a lot to control. Too light of a spring and body weight may compress the shocks too much to allow good travel.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1352 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post