DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Alcohol and Electric Fuel Pump
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Alcohol and Electric Fuel Pump
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Wallace Cleaver
posted
car is a RED, 377" SBC w/250 blower shop blower making 12 lbs. I plan to run brackets but will also put it on the stop for SC on occasion (that is what the car was used for it's entire life)
Currently has a gas 1050 and want to change to an alcohol 1050. I have a Magnafuel 500 fuel pump I plan to use. I have seen so many ideas on fuel pressure regulators and what to get that I am lost. Who can help me decipher what I need?

Multi-time First round runner up extraordinaire

Posts: 38 | Location: UT | Registered: January 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
I use a Magnafuel regulator - you can check the listings on them but it will say whether it is applicable to alky or not. My setup is rather normal, I come off an Aeromotive A2000 pump running at about 14-15 PSI. The return dumps into the tank and in turn keeps the pump from dead-heading, the output feeds the regulator which feeds the bowls. Nothing smaller than -8 in the system. The input from the tank is pulled through a Peterson inline stainless steel filter. This is on a BBC 555 and a 1050 or 1190 carb depending on the situation.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
that's what I want to hear. I have read that you have to have a regulator that changes pressure with vacuum and that you need 2 pumps etc....
I realize that it will use more fuel, but this has seemed like such overkill. Thank you for the answer.

Posts: 38 | Location: UT | Registered: January 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
i have a bbc 582 with a tbs 250 on it been 4.40s 158 with a magnafuel 500 and there regulator, no vacuum line needed

Posts: 6 | Location: columbus | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Big thing is making sure you have large enough needle and seats.. On that setup, I'm thinking you're gonna need a larger carb or duals...then .150 needle and seats in both or bowls with dual needle and seats....

Talk to Mark Whitener, aka: jmarkaudio on here......He'll get you going in the right direction with carbs and won't try to set you up with anything you don't need.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of chasracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Big thing is making sure you have large enough needle and seats.. On that setup, I'm thinking you're gonna need a larger carb or duals...then .150 needle and seats in both or bowls with dual needle and seats....

Good point here - having enough available fuel is important. I use the large needle and seats (.164) available from Bolaws. If you decide to order them - call in the order and request regular mail, if you use the online deal they charge too much for the postage.

Posts: 1135 | Location: The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Savvy?” ~~ Captain Jack Sparrow ~~ | Registered: August 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chasracer:
Good point here - having enough available fuel is important. I use the large needle and seats (.164) available from Bolaws. If you decide to order them - call in the order and request regular mail, if you use the online deal they charge too much for the postage.

Yeah, I called them about shipping for needle and seat assemblies, and they wanted $20 to ship from orlando to ft myers!!! Mark Whitener hooked me up instead.....Thanks Mark!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! The carb I bought is a QF and has the .150 needle and seats. I'll look into the .164's however.