DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Swingarm dragster spring rate
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swingarm dragster spring rate
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of 433red
posted
My 2014 American 242" swingarm chassis has a 350 lb rate spring. Running 1150ish HP aluminum block BBC combination. Car has a race weight of 1875lbs. Everything seem to be working OK, when doing a visual comparison to similar combinations my spring is compressed much more than others.
Curious what others are running and what the advantages may be. Educate me...

Posts: 102 | Location: Ga | Registered: July 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of David Gerard
posted Hide Post
Be careful when looking at comparisons!

The geometry of the suspension of other brands could make the requirements for spring rates and heights very different!

Posts: 414 | Location: Fullerton, CA | Registered: June 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 433red
posted Hide Post
quote:
Be careful when looking at comparisons!

Agree 100%. Let me clarify, when comparing to similar American swingarm cars with aluminum BBC engines.

Posts: 102 | Location: Ga | Registered: July 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mad Dog
posted Hide Post
Just curious, have you made contact with Travis at American Race Cars to ask for his input?

After all, he has set up one or two of these over the years. He builds them and has made a couple laps in them as well...

Dan

DOES YOUR IDEOLOGY ALLOW YOU TO EQUITABLY APPLY STANDARDS OF ACCOUNTABILITY OR DOES IT PROMOTE THE PRACTICE OF HYPOCRISY?

Posts: 226 | Location: ... --- ... | Registered: November 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 433red
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just curious, have you made contact with Travis at American Race Cars to ask for his input?

Funny you should ask, yes. In the past on several different occasions I have called and emailed NEVER getting a response!

Have a secret code I can use for getting a response?

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I have called and emailed NEVER getting a response!

I called and emailed him about building me a brand new car...never responded

Posts: 1425 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Mike, your $ is green and good everywhere. He clearly don't want you business, move on to those that do. Who else have you called?

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
IF you call Shelly at American racecars she can get you the answers. I have text and called her and she gets back to me within a day.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: S/C718,

Posts: 100 | Location: Albuquerque | Registered: September 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 433red
posted Hide Post
I spent 15 minutes on the phone with Shane from Competitive Suspension. Shane answered all of my questions and has earned my business. The guy knows his stuff and tells you straight up if he can provide the required results using your existing components. Better yet, the man answered his phone when it rang.

DRR Pro
Picture of 00 DEAD ON
posted Hide Post
Your spring rate is more because of the angle of the shock. My 08 American had a 400 lb spring on it. Ran 4.40’s at 156. All alum 632
Good luck

Brian Mollison
2009 RaceTech Dragster
2020 Sumerduck Dragway VA Top ET Champion
2017 Sumerduck Top ET & SSS Track Champion
2017 MAC Top ET Track Champion
2009 Sumerduck Dragway Va Top ET & IHRA SSS Track Champion
2008 IHRA Division 1 Top ET Bracket Final Runner-up
2007 Colonial Beach Dragway Top ET Track Champion

Posts: 1026 | Location: Stafford, Virginia | Registered: October 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 00 DEAD ON:
Your spring rate is more because of the angle of the shock. My 08 American had a 400 lb spring on it. Ran 4.40’s at 156. All alum 632
Good luck

Brian

That's only one piece to the puzzle so to speak! There's more to this deal. The easiest way to compare one car to another is to actually measure the shock vs rear end movement! This is what tells you the entire story. Racers can have the wrong spring in the car and not know it. If your having a shock built or modified you should measure this first and give that info to the shock company. As ratios move away from one to one and the shock begins to move less than the rear end does the more dampening you need/stiffer shock, along with a stiffer spring.

Posts: 2157 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post