DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    1250 dominator good for throttle stop
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1250 dominator good for throttle stop
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I’ve got a 582 head hunter motor that I mostly bracket race with but have started to try throttle stop racing. Before I have a carburetor built can you get away with a 1250 for both bracket racing and 8.90 throttle stop racing.

Posts: 12 | Location: Nebraska  | Registered: May 02, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Properly tuned, yes.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Without question yes! Now all you need is a #1 Stop electric throttle stop

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
May I ask what the advantages of the electric over c02 number 1 throttle stop cause I already have the c02 number 1 stop just wondering if there is advantages

Posts: 12 | Location: Nebraska  | Registered: May 02, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the biggest advantage is no CO2 bottle to deal with, no air leaks, no remembering to open the valve and no refilling.

That said, those that run air stops will tell you that with an electric stop you can't adjust how hard the stop hits the tire when it turns off and while true, with a super comp car today you should be in high gear before the stop turns off/goes wide open. we have never rattled nor spun the tire coming off the stop.

I can also tell you that some of the winningest names today in S/C are running an electric stop.

Last when we started, I asked Peter Biondo which to use and he didn't hesitate to tell me to run an electric stop and we have never question that decision, now after numerous wins, a division championship, a runner in the division, a Jegs All Star a national event win in 2 finals and finishing #4 in the world over the last 5 seasons.

We also run an electric stop on our S/ST car and finished #2 in the division this year.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
As stated there is the aggravation of air over electric and the added cost of the bottle and regulator. At the end of the day it is personal preference. I run air and like it. I will say most people run air wide open anyway so they might as well have electric. I do control my closing and opening rate which electric can’t do. Either will work fine and the stop cost is the same.

ep

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
If you do decide to purchase an electric stop buy from Biondo, no one else. When I bought mine I received the same advice Peter gave Ed. I had never throttle stop raced before and Peter’s help and help from others hear, particularly rrprogas enabled me to win my first s/st race with an electrical stop

Posts: 485 | Location: Going to or returning from the chipmine. | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a 582 with CFE 385 heads and use a Max Flow (C02 throttle stop) 1250 APD that has worked really well. The only change I made was to the idle bleed jets, other than that it still uses the 98 squared main jets.

I also have a TS Stinnet 1050 and a TS Carb Shop 1050 and can say without a doubt the car is much quicker and faster with the APD 1250. I now do more local bracket racing since Fontana closed and the nearest NHRA LODRS Division track is 365 miles (one way) from my home.

The car is very consistent with the 1250 APD carb. At our 1/8 mile altitude track the car will run in the high 4.90's @ 137, which is fast enough for me.

Bob

Posts: 3059 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
My SC setup requires a linkage stop, so I need to use CO2. My SST car uses an electric stop.

If I were buying a new base plate stop, it would be electric. If I already had a complete CO2 setup, I probably wouldn’t bother switching it over. Either setup can be equally competitive.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i will add this. when getting either stop make sure the bore size of the stop is big enough for the bore size of your carb. they make different size bores in the stop.

ep-i ran in to this.

Posts: 757 | Location: dodging double wides... | Registered: November 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
As far as stops go they both work and both have advantages over each other. People have won races, and championships with both. In my experience a high powered door car will be easier to control with an adjustable air stop.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."
Marcus Tullius Cicero

Posts: 983 | Location: Las Vegas, NV | Registered: April 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post