New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gear oil
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Getting ready to buy some gear oil for my rear end. Is there one better than another? Lighter weight? Better for the gears? I have always used lucas never really tried anything else.

Posts: 114 | Location: ky | Registered: April 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
If Lucas works for you use it. I've used a bunch of different gear oils including synthetics and for drag racing I don't think there's much difference. I tried the heavy stick to everything gear oil and see no reason for it with my slow junk. I just use 80w-90 gear oil out of my 5 gal bucket and change it every year or 2. I have added a couple of onces of regular Lucas additive just for the heck of it.

Posts: 1454 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I’ve used Mobil 1 75w-90 synthetic forever. Now I’m using Lucas 75w-90 synthetic.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
I've used the Lucas 75/90 before but mainly use the Redline Shock proof heavy. Redline changed the formula and it is no longer crazy thick and it's 75/90.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
75w-90 synthetic from Walmart

Posts: 477 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Redline Synthetic Shock Proof or Lucas Synthetic.

Bob

Posts: 3081 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Synthetic, I'm told it runs cooler. That seems like a good thing.

No matter how many times you paint over a shadow it's still there.

Posts: 684 | Location: Galesburg Il. | Registered: December 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
Now I’m using Lucas 75w-90 synthetic.

Same here. Also inspect the axles and gears every year. Found an axle twisting on my car a couple years ago.

Posts: 713 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post