DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Reaction time question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reaction time question
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted
Have any of you ever measured RT differences by rear tire pressure ? As in, 1/4 lb=.002 or ?
Maybe it’s more toward cars with solid front suspension. Does quicker ET make a bigger difference?
Thanks !

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Just my opinion,but I think the driver's reaction time will vary at least .002 to ever prove that the tire pressure was worth .002.

I'm sure some will chime in that their personal reaction times are always within .001,but certainly not mine.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Agreed, unless you can hit 20 reaction times in a row within .002 then there is no way to tell a difference in reaction time based on rear air pressure.

You can change front tire air pressure in a door car enough to see a difference, but if you can tell anything less than .010 consistently then bravo

Posts: 785 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
.002 is out of my margin of error. lol.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3992 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
If I set up 010..i can be 000 to 020...just me...the lower the tire the slower the reaction will be is my thought. I can not tell how much per psi with accuracy.

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Front tires yes. Rear tires yes. But measuring to .002 with so many variables then it is just if you think it does then you have peace of mind and are a badazz On the starting line.

Jeff McClure

Posts: 240 | Location: Texas | Registered: December 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I used that 002 just for an example. I was wondering if anyone had any correlation for pressure adjustments, and saw a difference in RT, by the rear tires wrapping up.
My wording things, on forums, has never been as elequent as most of you.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I think we can safely say that more pressure will react more quickly given equal traction, but there are way too many variables for there to be a rule of thumb. Wheel size, tire size, sidewall construction, rim screws, beadlocks, etc. Then there are the human variances of staging and reaction.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3151 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Boucher Jr
posted Hide Post
na it dont change a thing. unless you run helium in your slicks like the hitters did back in the day...

Posts: 236 | Location: Il. | Registered: December 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Lowering the pressure does slow reaction time some but I could not tell you exactly how much.
I always keep my slicks the same and work with front tire pressure and RPM.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3992 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Yes, it makes a difference. I've never done enough testing to know how much. Usually, just set the rears for the best traction and adjust the front for r/t. I don't think .01 to .02 difference is impossible, but at some point loss of traction negates r/t advantage.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1390 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
On both jr's and big cars rear tire pressure changes can make a significant rt difference.
however, you have to change pressure enough that generally the suspension isn't working correctly. Choose rear tire pressure to keep the suspension happy. But obviously if you run them low enough to wad them up, it lengthens the rt.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
I have been footbraking for nearly 30 years, and can tell you that rears make a huge difference. It comes down to physics. If a tire wrinkles, then it takes time before it moves (delay) the more it has to wrinkle from having less air, the longer it will sit still before moving.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FootbrakeJim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brktracer:
Yes, it makes a difference. I've never done enough testing to know how much. Usually, just set the rears for the best traction and adjust the front for r/t. I don't think .01 to .02 difference is impossible, but at some point loss of traction negates r/t advantage.

^^^ THIS.

Dan "Jim" Moore
Much too young to feel this damn old!!

Posts: 1034 | Location: Farmersville, TX  | Registered: December 05, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post