DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    torque converter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

torque converter
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
still chasing a few issues with the new combo one being idle can a torque converter be so tight its pulling the motor down once put into gear I am fitting a 400-500 RPM drop once put into gear.

Posts: 406 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Yes

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
No

Sounds like it has spun the stator tube in the front pump.

8" converter & powerglide transmission?

Hurt one way clutch (sprag) can act that way too

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I completely destroyed a converter this season and, yes, it pulled the engine way down when put in gear.

My 632 could only push it to 3000 rpm on the transbrake.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
it will go to 6500 on the brake no problem when I stall check it. to combo is new to me and I purchased the converter with it along with the carb this is what has me stumped. its a FTI glide that i had no issues with my old combo with. guess I should swap out converters see if it changes. can I pull trans and see the stator tube if its hurt or spun?

Posts: 406 | Location: Bellingham MA | Registered: October 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Footloose
posted Hide Post
Vacuum leak around carb.intake,or hose?

Posts: 1921 | Location: in a van down buy the river | Registered: September 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by camaro77:
it will go to 6500 on the brake no problem when I stall check it. to combo is new to me and I purchased the converter with it along with the carb this is what has me stumped. its a FTI glide that i had no issues with my old combo with. guess I should swap out converters see if it changes. can I pull trans and see the stator tube if its hurt or spun?

First thing to do is call FTI with a part# on the converter, if it's spragless you can rule the converter out.

While it's all sitting there, look at the stator tube. Key up here at that point, I'll be glad to help. Ya need to know what type converter you have anyway, sprag or spragless.

I don't know how people do it, not knowing.

If it's a active stator, it's probably hurt, a 6500 converter should not pull the engine down to the point it won't idle, when put it in gear.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
All of our stuff idles at 1800 in neutral and about 1350 in gear. What makes you think there is a problem?

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 183N:
All of our stuff idles at 1800 in neutral and about 1350 in gear. What makes you think there is a problem?

why so high ?

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
If your shyt is dropping 450rpm from park/neutral to in gear, it needs work.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

why so high ?

I like mine to idle high too. Makes bumping in a lot easier, for one.

On the dragster, I use a starting line enhancer and have zero use of the pedal when it is engaged. If the idle is somewhat low, I’ll start worrying if the engine is going to die rather than focusing on the job at hand.

I do agree that a higher RPM in park will make for a larger drop when you put it in gear. 400 or so didn’t sound bad to me either.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

why so high ?

For the reasons Tony said. I find that my bumps are consistent at that rpm. Much higher and it tries to pull me in too much, lower and it doesn’t bump good when I bump the brake pedal. This is in a dragster.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
If the carb is new to you it could be too lean at idle. Turn mixture screws out and see if anything changes. It may need smaller idle air bleeds if screws don't change anything.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Paul Dilley
posted Hide Post
G,day,
Yes can be the convertor, but can be the tune up and other things also.
Cheers

Posts: 37 | Location: gracemere, qld, Australia | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the carb needs work to me.
LOL! idle 1800 then in gear down to 1300-1400, I would lose my mind! Needs idled down about 800 to start with! Then fix the carb or change the conv so it doesnt drop so much.

"Sugar Shane"

Posts: 119 | Location: No clue | Registered: March 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Sugar Shane…KNOWS

DRR Pro
Picture of fuzzy dice
posted Hide Post
My car idles at 1000 rpm and drops about 100 rpm or so in gear...the carb is tuned by Space Coast Speed and Custom and tweaked by Tony Morris...

Posts: 1272 | Location: Florida (FL) | Registered: June 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
im going to pull the converter I will update once its reinstalled

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
little update swapped out converter fixed the idle in gear issue and picked up 2 tenths on the time slip. now to get a big carb on it

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
little update swapped out converter fixed the idle in gear issue and picked up 2 tenths on the time slip. now to get a big carb on it

Sprag converter, have it reconfigured spragless.