DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Springs or Shocks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Springs or Shocks
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Looking for opinions before I throw more money at this project. I installed Global West tubular control arms on my '69 Camaro, along with some new, what I was told are Moroso trick springs that were given to me. I do not have the part number for the springs and their history is unclear. I also re-used my existing Competition Engineering 3-way drag shocks which seemed to work fine with the stock control arms. Fast forward. Everything is together and now when I lift up the front of the car several inches and let go, the front stays up. When I push it down it stays down. Car used to drive down the track like a dream. Now it's a handful and downright scary at times. Remove the shocks (no, I'm not making any passes without the shocks,LOL!) and the front bounces up and down like I would expect. So it appears to me the springs are too weak to compress or extend the shocks. Do I need new springs or new shocks? Or both? All and any opinions appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Posts: 2 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
116 views and no ideas? I can't believe I'm the only guy in the world who has seen this.

Posts: 2 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Moroso front springs were generally always a problem.

Too stiff when you install them and you cut them to get the nose down. After some runs they sag and are now to weak. Even if you buy the exact recommended spring for the nose weight of the car.

They were like that years ago so there is no reason to think they are better today.

First thing you need to do is to make sure the a-arms are not binding and are free to move.

Small tire cars like NHRA Stockers have to pitch rotate as free as possible. Springs just hold the car at the ride height you want and the shocks dampen the movement up and down.

There are way better springs and shocks but like I said check for binding. No reason that front end should be staying up and then down without a bind issue....

I used stock upper and lower arms numerous times and could get my front end loose as possible using all the typical tricks to accomplish that.

I used cut down Moroso springs and replaced them when they sag real bad....Usually had to cut 1 coil or more off new ones.....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I would say something is binding whether it is in the shocks or the geometry of your new front end.

Shane
Competitive Suspension

Posts: 21 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Moroso trick springs should have less spring pressure than the stock springs allowing them to store energy. What transfers the weight is the spring being compressed and then the freed up suspension and shocks allows the energy that is stored to raise the frt. and transfer the weight. They are usually a bear to install as they will be taller than the stock springs even though they are softer.
Remove your shocks and try them by hand to see how they react to the different settings. With my 90/10 struts and Moroso trick springs I can easily pull up on the fender and extend my suspension and it will stay up for a while. I have to do this to get the lift arms under the car.
I wouldn't have put those springs in unless I tested the rates first. Most circle track shops have a way to test the spring rates of a stock size coil.

Posts: 1462 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post