New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gear Lube?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
All new gears now are officially junk….MW recommends nothing less then 85-140…specifically TORCO brand…..synthetic not needed…

Posts: 1247 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I’ll keep using what I know works

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
I don't know why gear manufacturers are saying no synthetic, when it's better in every way than standard oil......

Synthetic for me. Gears have always looked better when oil is changed, less glitter, less wear on the gears, bearings always look great...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
I’ll keep using what I know works
I used the same thing until here recently….new gears are the problem…

Posts: 1247 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
So when did they start selling these "New Gears"?

Posts: 180 | Location: Bellingham, Washington | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brad Owens:
So when did they start selling these "New Gears"?
Just anything made lately is the problem…I’ve got old gears that’s been run forever…me an several others have bought some and had nothing but problems….US GEARS was the ticket but they been bought out too…

DRR Trophy
Picture of CAD
posted Hide Post
Ive been reading up and have been told by Quick Performance that the Motiv/Motive 8620 gear is proving the most durable. Made in Italy according to the info, and a better forging process.

We will see in the long run. They arrive today.

I plan on using Red Line.

Posts: 120 | Location: Omaha NE | Registered: October 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
I've been impressed with the Red Line "climbing" lube.
The particular car got a lot more runs on a gear set with it.

My differential guru doesn't like synthetic lube, not because he thinks it's bad, but because his road race units would come back with the paint baked off the housings, no bad gear wear or anything, and it creeps him out. Eek

I just use any GL-5 or GL-6 80 w 90 in my junk.

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1586 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Lucas 75w-90 synthetic here for forever....

The only time I ever had anything weird was one time I tried the Redline lightweight shockproof oil in my dragster.

Back to the Lucas.

Posts: 1558 | Location: PA | Registered: February 26, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post