Share |
DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Thank you Jesus (u-joint)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Thank you Jesus (u-joint)
 Login/Join
 
DRR Pro
posted
I am way luckier than I deserve to be. This is just the most recent example.

I was going into my differential to change out the gears. I pulled the driveshaft, in the process. As I did the caps slipped off the rear universal joint, as I was sliding the shaft forward. Not a big deal, it happens. Then I happened to really look inside those caps. I didn't remember putting some sort of odd style/color grease in them. Most of the rollers had basically been reduced to powdered steel. I sure hadn't noticed it. Again, thank you Jesus. Take care. Tom Worthington


If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
 
Posts: 559 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
The one thing I don't like about hi-perf u-joints is one of the ways they make them stronger is eliminating the grease fitting. Unfortunately that also precludes you from regular maintenance/lubing of the joint.
I feel the strength(or weakness) isn't an issue if you install the u-joint so it's compressing the fitting hole under acceleration rather then trying to open it.
And I agree, that was a VERY lucky catch. Go buy some lottery tickets lol.



.
Dave


I'm looking for a BBC blower manifold to buy



Living to serve mankind....
 
Posts: 3187 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
The one thing I don't like about hi-perf u-joints is one of the ways they make them stronger is eliminating the grease fitting. Unfortunately that also precludes you from regular maintenance/lubing of the joint.
I feel the strength(or weakness) isn't an issue if you install the u-joint so it's compressing the fitting hole under acceleration rather then trying to open it.
And I agree, that was a VERY lucky catch. Go buy some lottery tickets lol.


I didn't buy a set of these, this time around, but I have spotted some that place the grease fitting on the end of the cap. Sounds like a pretty good idea. Take care. Tom Worthington


If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
 
Posts: 559 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Mike Beck
posted Hide Post
Count your blessings!

I replaced my front slip yoke one year and the roller tailshaft housing on the trans. Didn't like the way it looked. Well, I wasn't thrilled with the "feel" of the retainer clip on one of the caps when I put it together, but it was in there and seemed stuck pretty good.

Hmmmmm........ On about the 6th pass later in the burnout box all he!! broke loose! I thought the crank came out of the engine! The little shiny thing I saw rolling towards my wife at the starting line was that u-joint cap! That was over a $3k mistake..... Frown

Lucky it happened there and not down track somewhere.
 
Posts: 1628 | Location: South River, NJ | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom396:
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
The one thing I don't like about hi-perf u-joints is one of the ways they make them stronger is eliminating the grease fitting. Unfortunately that also precludes you from regular maintenance/lubing of the joint.
I feel the strength(or weakness) isn't an issue if you install the u-joint so it's compressing the fitting hole under acceleration rather then trying to open it.
And I agree, that was a VERY lucky catch. Go buy some lottery tickets lol.


I didn't buy a set of these, this time around, but I have spotted some that place the grease fitting on the end of the cap. Sounds like a pretty good idea. Take care. Tom Worthington



Just make sure the fitting is/was in place when when balancing the driveshaft ....a couple of grams can turn into lbs @ 7000rpm



.
Dave


I'm looking for a BBC blower manifold to buy



Living to serve mankind....
 
Posts: 3187 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: February 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Beck:
Count your blessings!

I replaced my front slip yoke one year and the roller tailshaft housing on the trans. Didn't like the way it looked. Well, I wasn't thrilled with the "feel" of the retainer clip on one of the caps when I put it together, but it was in there and seemed stuck pretty good.

Hmmmmm........ On about the 6th pass later in the burnout box all he!! broke loose! I thought the crank came out of the engine! The little shiny thing I saw rolling towards my wife at the starting line was that u-joint cap! That was over a $3k mistake..... Frown

Lucky it happened there and not down track somewhere.


I gave up awhile back. I can't count that high. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington


If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
 
Posts: 559 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by imakehp:
Just make sure the fitting is/was in place when when balancing the driveshaft ....a couple of grams can turn into lbs @ 7000rpm


Good point, I hadn't thought of that. I just bought the conventional (no grease fitting) ones this time. Oddly enough, the local Advance Auto Parts store had a pair in stock. But hey, that is the kind of luck I usually have. Smile Take care. Tom Worthington


If it seems that bracket racing has gotten too expensive for you, maybe you are just doing it wrong.
 
Posts: 559 | Location: Rocky Mount, NC | Registered: December 01, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I lost in the finals one week and decided to take the 4.56 gears out and out 4.10 back in and after complete tear down I reached up in pinion area of my Dana to see if any chims laying up there and came out with a ring gear tooth I didn’t know was missing.
 
Posts: 1987 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
Good catch Tom !


You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.
 
Posts: 731 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  
 

DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Thank you Jesus (u-joint)

© DragRaceResults.com 2018