DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Dragster IC ??? UPDATE
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dragster IC ??? UPDATE
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
posted
Okay many of you know of my downtrack spinning issue. Looking now at the 4 link setup. What's the sweet spot for intersect and height above the track? 235" Cameron X-link @ 1100 hp, mostly running S/C, rare bracket race. Confused JB

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pivotdoc,

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
where is it now?

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of T/D6591
posted Hide Post
Jimmy what's a 4 link?

Posts: 1708 | Location: Portland,Oregon | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
Jimmy what's a 4 link?

LOL!!

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
In my experience, down track spinning is usually not due to IC. Well, unless bumps are upsetting the chassis extremely. On a smooth track, what is a 4 link doing down track? Holding up the car and getting it over bumps. It has no way to apply extra force downward on the tires. If the starting line and throttle stop transition are working well, I wouldn't mess with the four link. JMO.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6402 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I am going a little different direction here. On my Altered which is not very aerodynamic in the 1/4 mile once car got over 150 you could feel it getting up on the rear tires and getting a little loose. I put a wing on it and now the faster it goes the smoother and better it hooks down track.

The IC does make a difference some and I would check what others are doing and where yours is in relation to it. Shock settings can have some effect to but I am thinking you just may not have enough weight on rear tires at full speed to plant the tires good when the tire starts growing.

If it does not have a wing then one might help?
You could put a video camera back there and make a pass and try to see what tires and suspension is doing.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4006 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
where is it now?
Not sure gotta find time to plot it out. I do know that the bottom bar is at 1.1* down and the spread is 12" to 8", pinion angle is 1.5* down. I may be overthinking this but I made some 1/8 mi. passes last weekend and the driveshaft is really ugly. Probably should stick a GoPro on there as I race by myself - this goes back to last season when on the stop, this winter I've been trying to get it down the track wide open. Found another issue with fuel sloshing over the vents on the leave which is probably unloading the tires. We'll see if fixing that helps. Confused JB

Posts: 1146 | Location: Busy putting up crop circles | Registered: October 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Rymo
posted Hide Post
I think I'd crank some more angle into that pinion...? also what tires are you running? I had an issue with middle track spin slightly, cranked some more angle into it and it solved the issues. tires going bad?

Ryan Fasano

2014 Byron Overall Track Champion
Byron's actual elevation is 730' because that matters more than winning anything ever....

Posts: 535 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: January 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Shock wiped out? Tires worn out? Did you change something that would cause it?

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by T/D6591:
Jimmy what's a 4 link?

Some kind of breakfast sausage?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
can you post the driveshaft data?

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6402 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
My vote is tires or shocks, your bars are near where I would go ( I think).I would want I c near back of seat and in 7" height.these numbers are rough for sure

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1410 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
This goes back to last season. I took the car to a reputable chassis builder to replace a cracked mid plate and while there asked him to reset the suspension because I always thought it was too tight on compression. They pulled the Afco's off and put Strange on it. I also put the Hoosiers (18650) on it at that time. It has spun downtrack ever since. I took it to original builder and it came back with present settings. I put the Afco's back on and a new set of 3183 Mickeys before last weekends passes. I'll get the Racepak posted on here soon as I can get Cash to do it. I'm severely computer challenged

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pivotdoc:
quote:
This goes back to last season. I took the car to a reputable chassis builder to replace a cracked mid plate and while there asked him to reset the suspension because I always thought it was too tight on compression. They pulled the Afco's off and put Strange on it. I also put the Hoosiers (18650) on it at that time. It has spun downtrack ever since. I took it to original builder and it came back with present settings. I put the Afco's back on and a new set of 3183 Mickeys before last weekends passes. I'll get the Racepak posted on here soon as I can get Cash to do it. I'm severely computer challenged

I think Hoosiers and the Strange shocks were both a step in wrong direction regardless of where four link is set up at.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4006 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
Hoosiers and Strange shocks here. I don't know if my IC ever intersects. Bottom bar is your standard couple degrees down, but the top bar is damn near parallel to the ground.

I know it isn't a common setup, but I've never aborted a pass in that car.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3155 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/instant-center.php

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
A set of 3191 or 3190 MT and your problems will disappear.

JMO

Posts: 1751 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Lol Smile

J.R. Baxter

2024 Miller
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
A set of 3191 or 3190 MT and your problems will disappear.

JMO
No one has died and left me enough $$$$ to get beadlocks......

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by pivotdoc:
quote:

I think Hoosiers and the Strange shocks were both a step in wrong direction regardless of where four link is set up at.
Do you have any technical reason you think the afco is a better shock then the strange?

.991 60'
4.36 @ 159 so far.....
6.86 @ 198 trying for more......

533" single carb
235" Harrison 4-link

Posts: 1084 | Location: Nova Siri, Italy | Registered: June 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post