DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New Brake Kit Rotor/Hat Design
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Brake Kit Rotor/Hat Design
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by TopGun:
So I ordered a new dual caliper brake kit from Wilwood, just like I had on another car. To my surprise the design has changed on the rotor and hat assembly. The rotors no longer bolt on, but are held in with tension clips and a snap ring. It seems Moser has adopted this design as well.

Has anyone had any issues or experience with this new design? Seems to me the hat is taking all the force, where with the bolt on design the bolts helped absorb some of this.

How did the new design work last season? I have wilwoods and have been looking at the new design to stop the warping

I have the new design Willwoods and have had no problems with it. I did add some hi temp silicone to the slots where the ring sits though.
I had the passenger hat completely crack and separate from the rotor, and the drivers side had cracks in the hat by the bolt holes.
Multiple years of expansion and contraction of the rotor cracked the hat by the rotor bolt on holes.
And I could not remove the rotor from the axle as the rotor tabs had grown also and would not clear the axle flange.
The new design locates the rotor and allows for expansion without putting any stress on the hat.

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
And I could not remove the rotor from the axle as the rotor tabs had grown and would not clear the axle flange

I had that exact same issue after a season or 2 and not that many runs using Wilwood bolt together rotors.

Strange one piece rotors warped pretty bad, Wilwood bolt together rotors weren't much better..

Mark Williams on there now and the rotor attaches to the hat with a slot to allow some movement...….Look fine so far....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:
quote:
And I could not remove the rotor from the axle as the rotor tabs had grown and would not clear the axle flange

I had that exact same issue after a season or 2 and not that many runs using Wilwood bolt together rotors.

Strange one piece rotors warped pretty bad, Wilwood bolt together rotors weren't much better..

Mark Williams on there now and the rotor attaches to the hat with a slot to allow some movement...….Look fine so far....
Keep eye on the little retainers for bolts they will crack in time...MW sells just the bolt kit...

Posts: 1251 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad News:
quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
quote:
Originally posted by TopGun:
So I ordered a new dual caliper brake kit from Wilwood, just like I had on another car. To my surprise the design has changed on the rotor and hat assembly. The rotors no longer bolt on, but are held in with tension clips and a snap ring. It seems Moser has adopted this design as well.

Has anyone had any issues or experience with this new design? Seems to me the hat is taking all the force, where with the bolt on design the bolts helped absorb some of this.

How did the new design work last season? I have wilwoods and have been looking at the new design to stop the warping

I have the new design Willwoods and have had no problems with it. I did add some hi temp silicone to the slots where the ring sits though.
I had the passenger hat completely crack and separate from the rotor, and the drivers side had cracks in the hat by the bolt holes.
Multiple years of expansion and contraction of the rotor cracked the hat by the rotor bolt on holes.
And I could not remove the rotor from the axle as the rotor tabs had grown also and would not clear the axle flange.
The new design locates the rotor and allows for expansion without putting any stress on the hat.

It is a yearly thing with the old design to break off all the bolts to get the rotor off since it will not clear the axle once it warps. Good to know the new design is an improvement.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6379 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
tbm pads are great fyi

So far I really like the TBM pads, thanks for the recommendation

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Keep eye on the little retainers for bolts they will crack in time...MW sells just the bolt kit...

Thanks for the tip on that one Whomp…

No matter who makes this stuff, parts fail....

Brakes take a beating....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post