DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    New Brake Kit Rotor/Hat Design
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Brake Kit Rotor/Hat Design
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
So I ordered a new dual caliper brake kit from Wilwood, just like I had on another car. To my surprise the design has changed on the rotor and hat assembly. The rotors no longer bolt on, but are held in with tension clips and a snap ring. It seems Moser has adopted this design as well.

Has anyone had any issues or experience with this new design? Seems to me the hat is taking all the force, where with the bolt on design the bolts helped absorb some of this.

Posts: 8 | Location: Charlotte | Registered: March 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Its not really a new design, been around a while. Not sure who used it first. I have not seen one break, but warping is still an issue.

Posts: 39 | Location: oregon | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I thought MW had the best brakes...I just switched over to TBM BRAKES....the best I’ve ever had...

Posts: 1247 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TopGun:
So I ordered a new dual caliper brake kit from Wilwood, just like I had on another car. To my surprise the design has changed on the rotor and hat assembly. The rotors no longer bolt on, but are held in with tension clips and a snap ring. It seems Moser has adopted this design as well.

Has anyone had any issues or experience with this new design? Seems to me the hat is taking all the force, where with the bolt on design the bolts helped absorb some of this.

Strange did this a number of years back as an option. I used them for a few seasons with no issues.

Posts: 2139 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 369dragster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WHOMPWHOMP:
I thought MW had the best brakes...I just switched over to TBM BRAKES....the best I’ve ever had...

What are TBM brakes?

Ken

Posts: 319 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
That’s the company...TBM...stands for The Brake Man...been chasing a break issue for quite some time with the MW...they are pricey but I was to the point I didn’t care went with their F3 calipers nothing compares IMO...on a few Top Fuel cars...

Posts: 1247 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 369dragster:
quote:

What are TBM brakes?

I had never heard of them before. https://www.tbmbrakes.com/prod...ag-racing-rear-kits/
Their product looks and sounds good. For what that is worth.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
That’s the company...TBM...stands for The Brake Man...been chasing a break issue for quite some time with the MW...they are pricey but I was to the point I didn’t care went with their F3 calipers nothing compares IMO...on a few Top Fuel cars...

We installed TBM's on a customers small tire car. I still prefer the Lamb's on my car over the TBM's. I'd say the top three are Lamb, MW and TBM, everything else is just about all the same.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOTracer:
quote:

We installed TBM's on a customers small tire car. I still prefer the Lamb's on my car over the TBM's. I'd say the top three are Lamb, MW and TBM, everything else is just about all the same.

Why do you think one is better than the other?
I am building a new dragster and I want the best design and performance. I know some seem to think the more expensive ones are best and that is not always true.
I would like to know what design or performance reasons you think one is better than the other.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:
Originally posted by DOTracer:
quote:

Why do you think one is better than the other?
I am building a new dragster and I want the best design and performance. I know some seem to think the more expensive ones are best and that is not always true.
I would like to know what design or performance reasons you think one is better than the other.

It’s been a while since I handled the TBM, IIRC, I didn’t like the way the rotor was attached to the hat. Their bolt system seemed kinda cheesy to me compared to how Lamb does it. Also as I recall the caliper brackets were steel and not aluminum...I think. I just remember them feeling kinda heavy. Lastly I like the machine quality of the Lamb better. Overall I like the fit & finish. If I’m not mistaken the TBM might have been tumbled or shot blasted for surface finish which I just didn’t care for. Again, just my own observations and preferences.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Bruce,

I am a believer in Lamb brakes. I have a saying, might be dumb but "you can always make the car go faster, you get ONE chance to stop!"

I like the Lamb brakes because they use cast iron rotors. I do not like steel rotors, they warp. Not saying you can't warp a set of cast iron but I do my best to take care of my brakes. They have always been great.

Not a single vehicle on the road today that I'm aware of uses a steel rotor. Even a Yugo had cast iron rotors.

It's your money, your choice. I have seen the S brand brakes warp, crack and break. I would never run them. Good luck with whatever you pick!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5296 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
LAMBS is the only one I haven’t tried... I was having a caliper flex issue... I believe that if MW would catch up to 2018 an build their unit out of billet instead of cast it might fix it...I like the TBM because were most two halves of the calipers are just bolted together per two billet aluminum halves... the TBM use a piece of BILLET STEEL in between the two billet aluminum halves taking all the flex out...Furtermore they were the only one that had a clue what was going on....

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I was also able to use my MW rotors just had to have about .050 took off diameter

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Okay, I did a little more research on it and the TBM brakes do have a steel bracket and steel housing to eliminate flex which I have seen on others. I think that the TBM brakes should have significantly less flex. I agree with others the brakes are not the place to cut corners and the TBM brakes sure look nice.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 3961 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Okay, I did a little more research on it and the TBM brakes do have a steel bracket and steel housing to eliminate flex which I have seen on others. I think that the TBM brakes should have significantly less flex. I agree with others the brakes are not the place to cut corners and the TBM brakes sure look nice.
Small company 5 employees...call an talk to JASON....

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Small company 5 employees...call an talk to JASON....

I talked to Chris, Jason is out today but will be in Monday.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"

DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TopGun:

How did the new design work last season? I have wilwoods and have been looking at the new design to stop the warping

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6352 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
tbm pads are great fyi

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
tbm pads are great fyi

Great to know on those! Really trying to get feedback on the new wilwood design to see if they conquered the warping or cupping problem first

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR Sportsman
Picture of 329L
posted Hide Post
have the moser duals, and I can tell you its a lot quicker and easier when you do brakes and rotors. As others have said, rotors still warp, but now it takes longer to put car on stands and get wheels and tires off and on again.

Jeremiah Hall

Posts: 701 | Location: Evansville, IN | Registered: February 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post