DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Valve Body Recomendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Valve Body Recomendations
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted
Thinking about replacing my 20+ year old Coan Valve body. What's your experience with certain brands and billet or cast iron style Powerglide pro brake units?

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have a cast iron Abruzzi in my TD and it works just fine and is reasonably priced. The COAN billet looks like a real nice piece but I worry about long term consistency with the billet aluminum valve bodies. Plus the Coan price tag is twice as much as my Abruzzi. I had one of the early FTI billet valve bodies and it was great at first but got real inconsistent after a couple of years. I may be off base but my thinking is the steel valves wearing the aluminum bores in it causing issues.

Posts: 2421 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
For years we ran TSR cast iron. Last year we got two fti billet valve bodies and so far they've been great.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 468 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
TCI Iron here. My thoughts exactly. Steel valve in an aluminum bore.

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I'll tell ya who has a bad dude fast valve body and we ended up with a couple of them by chance. We had a pressure regulator valve sticking at a race so we needed a valvebody and fast, first round looming in an hour. I looked at the two Transmission venders supporting the race. I remembered JW was in the Pro Tree valvebody wars back in the day when a 454 was considered a big engine in Super Comp. We bought one for a radial tire heads up car and went double O's immediately from .030-.040. It's kinda odd they don't hit the tire stupid hard but when you look at the ticket, it's a good light. The owner of the car bought a second he was so impressed. I put it in my 3200 lb 10 x 28 tire N/A sbc Nova and the car has been double 0's on the same .370 pro tree Bradenton. That's not supposed to be possible staged shallow 3200 lbs 10 x 28 tire.

They're a little pricey for an Iron Valvebody I think, but they both performed identical. Someone has it going on for JW, in that department.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post