DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Clamp on DC amp meter
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clamp on DC amp meter
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted
One of my digital volt meter's gave up and I'm looking at clamp on meters that measure volts, ohms etc. plus DC current. The Klein CL800 is cheap enough, $131, to make me wonder if it's a good meter. I'd like to be able to measure amps on the race car but the DVM's I've had only go to 10 amps max. Anybody have experience with this type of meter?

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Klein are decent. I have a blue point that plugs into my dmm. Works very well and is reasonably accurate. I think you'll be fine with the Klein meter, plenty for what you're using it for.

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1466 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have used Amprobe for more than 20 years without any problems. The newer models may or may not be same quality. Ac/dc multi meter. lots features for price. Test Equipment Depot Model No: ACD-21SW

Posts: 12 | Location: Southern In. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Check your local pawn shop. There always have volt/amp meters for decent prices

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
Thanks all for the replies.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Slick Vic
posted Hide Post
Cheapest and still accurate is an Extech brand.

302-786-1078
slickvic@slickvicracing.com

slickvic@slickvicracing.com
www.slickvicracing.com
302-786-1078

Dealer for most major brands, including Simpson, Necksgen, Hans, Strange, Moser, Amsoil, Aerospace, Digital Delay, Hoosier, M/T, Goodyear, Redhorse, MSD, Racepak, Lucas, and more.

Complete racecar wiring and custom CNC parts available.

Posts: 131 | Location: Delaware | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
I have a Fluke with the Amp clamp and am happy with it.
Klein is a top line tool maker in my opinion.
I wouldn't be afraid to buy it with your money!

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Williams:
I have a Fluke with the Amp clamp and am happy with it.
Klein is a top line tool maker in my opinion.
I wouldn't be afraid to buy it with your money!

"Everybody funny, you funny too" Tell me the song and win a prize Bruce and no Google search. BTW, do you have a nice gas 850 you wanna unload??

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
George Throughgood (sp, don't know the spelling w/o looking it up) and the Delaware Destroyers.

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2336 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Canted Valve:
George Throughgood (sp, don't know the spelling w/o looking it up) and the Delaware Destroyers.

Yep, except this was after he dropped the Delaware and they were just the Destroyers. That's the way I remember it, I could be wrong.

DRR Pro
Picture of Bruce Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Everybody funny, you funny too" Tell me the song and win a prize Bruce and no Google search. BTW, do you have a nice gas 850 you wanna unload??

Sorry but no on the 850.
George Thurogood sang the song
George was bad to the bone I believe

Bruce Lee Cool

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Posts: 2035 | Location: Chandler Arizona | Registered: August 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post