Find
Notify
Tools

Throttle stops
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
Pros and cons of different styles electric vs air and under carb vs linkage

Posts: 386 | Location: Natick MA | Registered: November 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Pros: They both slow you down....

Cons: The both slow you down!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't help it...

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
A lot of people say the undercarbs are more consistent. I don’t agree, as long as you have a positive pedal stop that allows for full throttle opening.

If they were so problematic and inconsistent, then there would be a whole lot of throttle enhancers thrown across the pits!

Air is the choice of most due to the adjustability options it provides!

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Under carb electric pro: no CO2 bottle and lines to mess with, con raises carb height if that's a concern, Air pro: no extra carb height, con CO2 bottle and lines to mess with.

We run an under carb stop and it is deadly repeatable, its mostly just a personal choice.

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
Pros: They both slow you down....

Cons: The both slow you down!!!!!!

Sorry, couldn't help it...

Your terrible LMAO....
Oh by the way, you get it back out yet?

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Electric under carb is my preference. Inlined worked well for me in a door car with a solid linkage but ultimately went back to the plate stop. Inline on my dragster was less consistent which is possibly from the cable bouncing?

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 462 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bradsc1954
posted Hide Post
I use air stops on my dragster. I have used an in- line in the past and use a Number 1 under the carb stop now. I prefer the under the carb. I feel it eliminated and fluctuation from the cable going down a bumpy track. Also the weight of a 2 way stop on a cable will break the cable at the threads. I did this twice. I got to the point after loading the car in the trailer I would unhook the cable from the carb and zip tie it to scoop mount. This was done to prevent the cable from carrying the weight while bouncing down the road.

Posts: 133 | Location: Weare NH USA | Registered: July 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Rob7181
posted Hide Post
One thing not mentioned is an APD Max Speed, which is a carb with an integrated stop on the side of it! I had one on my Davis Roadster and now have it on my dragster. If you have hood clearance issues it may be the answer.

Rob Robertson

Posts: 961 | Location: Welcome, MD | Registered: December 06, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Your terrible LMAO....
Oh by the way, you get it back out yet?

Not yet. Just picked up more fuel friday...looking at track schedules now. Looks like March 22 at Bradenton and possible the weekend before at Immokalee.....not sure yet though

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I use a in-line stop on my dragster, but it is injected so I don't have another option. It works well shutting down to idle, but I have tried to coast at about 3500 RPM and it wasn't consistent at all. I can't say how well it would work with a carb.

On my door car I use an electric under-carb stop. I like the simplicity of electric and think the benefits of air are a little overblown. Air also works well though.

On a carbureted application I'd definitely recommend an under-carb style stop. Air or electric is purely user preference but either will work well.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3149 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I saw first hand this weekend what the new ATM two blade stop and a big carb will do on a decent 615.

It was pretty awesome. Not saying there is not other stuff out there but that combo worked right out of the box. If you have a bigger higher horsepower engine I would look seriously at it.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of BarneyB
posted Hide Post
I’m really impressed with my APD Billet Enforcer carb and Enforcer Elite base plate throttle stop.

WiredTwoWin race car wiring

Posts: 2436 | Location: Wadsworth, Ohio | Registered: December 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
When we were getting ready to start competing in Super Comp 4 years ago, I asked Peter Biondo and Scott Albrecht separately what stop to use, they both didn't hesitate to say #1 Electric Stop and that's what I bought. It's worked out pretty good. Wink

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
the big brown truck just dropped this off...

lots of stuff to test when the tracks open.
Meanwhile the NHRA Division 1 class racing season just got pushed back again. Mad

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Division 4 got pushed back also. Sucks!

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5298 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

Meanwhile the NHRA Division 1 class racing season just got pushed back again. Mad

Hopefully we get to start the season at numidia. I am sure having to postpone maple grove is a big hit to both nhra div1 and the track that is generally one of the bigger events

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
Throttle stops I’ve used.

Dedenbaer electric plate
Biondo in-line air at least 2
Dedenbaer in-line air
Dedenbaer “iris” slide plate stop, air
Sunset plate air
Number 1 stop “Stinett” air

What is the best ? Very tough to answer.
At times they’ve all been good and I’ve won races with either design, plate or in-line

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
very easy to answer in 2020, the best is a plate stop. Who's and whether air or electric that depends on who you ask. For me, #1 Stop/electric

DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:

That looks nearly identical to the Dedenbear I ran 30 years ago!

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I'm sure dedenbear was making billet aluminum stops 30 years ago Roll Eyes