Find
Notify
Tools

msd 2 step
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
ANyway to check msd 2 step w/o eningine running. The one on car is suspect of causing the stumble I can not get rid of..

Anyway to ohm or check otherwise.?

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
An MSD ignition Tester is what you need
I have one and it's for sale but not cheap

They are well over 300 new...
Runs the ignition without the engine running and can check anything RPM related for accuracy...

Tach, chips, rev limiters and it reads out the exact RPM

Fires the box and the coil and has a dial to raise/lower the rpm to any numbr desired

Great units for checking everything ignition related...

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

Runs the ignition without the engine running and can check anything RPM related for accuracy...

Fires the box and the coil and has a dial to raise/lower the rpm to any numbr desired

Never used one before this past winter. What a great tool. Shawn rewired my whole car and it was like making a run without leaving the garage. How much do want for it rich?

Posts: 1625 | Location: UsA | Registered: October 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SCDIV1:

Will it work with testing parts of msd mag 44 except mag output of coarse?

Posts: 4179 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with Mag ignitions so I can't answer if it works with a Mag but doubt it.....

It's like new and in the original box and was used maybe 2-3 times

$300 includes shipping to anyone who wants it.

I've seen prices over $400 for one....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Iwas hoping it would check points box and coil. We have a problem knowing which is issue when we have one and of theis would shortcut it 300 bucks is cheap.

Wait you mean there are ignitions that are not mag? You pulling my leg aren't yout

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have and use a MSD ignition tester. Going to say this, it is a pretty cool tool you can check exactly where your RPM chips are working, you can make it shift and check shifter and it does help.

But MSD will give you a run around and act like if Ignition tester says your box is good then it is good. That is simply not true. I had a box go bad and called MSD several times and they gave me a wild goose chase bull. "No tester says it is good, you have a battery problem, need a grounded insulated crank trigger wire, and on and on" But according to them nothing is wrong with box if it tests good. Bull. I went through a bunch of wasted time and energy listening to them before I changed out the box and immediately resolved the issue. Apparently it was a bad solder on the circuit board inside causing car to run 5.0x one pass, next pass 5.4x banging and popping. But according to MSD nothing could be wrong with box.....

I really do not know what deal is with MSD service and tech department but they will not admit that things fail or go bad.

Do not know how it works with a mag system. P. S my tester is not for sale.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3993 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
MSD does not have a ton of info online either. Been looking for anything showing 2 sstep with mag. I am thinking plugging it into rev limiter port instead of just a chip should make it work. Then again I never claimed to be an electrician n.