DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    LED strip lights?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

LED strip lights?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
Does anybody have any tips? I’ve bought a couple from the parts stores but they seem overpriced. The strips on line are reasonable but I don’t understand how you wire them? Seems like they might need soldered. I was decent with an iron 20 years ago but would have to buy a new one if that’s what’s needed.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
What are you looking for them for? 12v or 110?

I ordered these for the back of my dial board for a tail light. Seems to work fine.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6378 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
12v. I’m wanting to add a few random lights for checking CO2 pressure, converter area, fuel tank, etc

The link you showed said discontinued but this one showed up in “similar” and is exactly what I was looking for

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d...tail_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I got mine from Walley World. Many of them have a test button on the package so you can see what they look like before buying them...…………...

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of PineApple Express Racing
posted Hide Post
Ya know as we get older our night vision is so kind to us. I had a set of gauges no the cowl of my coupe. But the original incandescent bulbs were not bright enough. So I went to wally world and get one of those strip light, the one with the push buttons. If you notice they have cut lines where you can shorten them. I got a set of bright white and lines the edge of the strip around the gauge. If you look careful the strip has a direction of the LED emits the light.I also soldered them and used some heat shrink.I wired them into the original gauge light power. Man I swear my opponent can see my water temp....

Chuck
PAE

Posts: 113 | Location: Las Vegas USA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of FTI
posted Hide Post
amazon is your best bet for affordable and reliable. They have epoxy covered(water proof) strips with small brass spots every 1.5-3" that you can cut and solder on wires. Most have there drivers printed into the strip and all you have to do is wire/solder in normal 12V + and -

-Dalton

edit: usually sold in rolls of 16ft with an ok 3M tape backing. an ever more reliable option is the non water proof strips inside clear heat strink, clear silcone, and the foam 3M sticky tape.

FTI Performance
Competition Converters and Racing Transmissions
"Some call it cheating, we call it the competitive edge."
www.FTIPerformance.com
info@ftiperformance.com

Posts: 160 | Location: Deland, FL | Registered: August 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post