DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Brodix repair services?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brodix repair services?
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted
Anyone have any experience with the repair department?
Good or bad?
I have 2 sets of heads that need one fixed each, I'm contemplating just sending both sets for repair and freshen up.

Or, should I just scrap these and buy new?

-8 SP's and Track 1's

"Despite the high cost of living, it remains popular."
Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1621 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I've had Indy cyl head do some head repair for me and was very happy with the work. Both SBC's

Posts: 604 | Location: nw ohio | Registered: November 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HR3377:
I've had Indy cyl head do some head repair for me and was very happy with the work. Both SBC's

That's very local to me, and I've suffered the consequences.
Bob used to do fabulous furnace welding repairs on cast iron stuff, but hew got tired of being used and went off on his own.
I'm glad your projects went well.

I've always disassembled, prepped the repair areas, and had a good welder fill in the problems, then handed them off to another shop to finish the work... 2/3rds of that chain is retired now.

That's the trouble with doing stuff for 50 + years, all your trusted sources die, retire, or fade away.....

Dave Cook
N375

Posts: 1621 | Location: Indy | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Ferry's Aluminum head repaid has been a big help and supporter to me. 972-557-3565

I have no experience with Brodix repair work.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that might be a source.

In the Brodix propaganda, they state that any repairs need to be done in their shop, because of some special heat treat process they use. Roll Eyes

Dave Cook
N375

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
Thanks, that might be a source.

In the Brodix propaganda, they state that any repairs need to be done in their shop, because of some special heat treat process they use. Roll Eyes

Well I have burnt heads from blown head gasket twice over the years and local shops did both repairs not Brodix and they have held up just fine.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Had a Track 1,that had dropped a valve and destroyed a cylinder.Sent to Brodix for repair.New cylinder was better than out of the box..as the port work that was done along with the repair made it look so much better than the other 3 cylinders...But that was 15yrs ago....

Posts: 262 | Location: Fayetteville | Registered: May 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
Not sure how bad the heads are but Nyes can fix some pretty messed up stuff. I had rocker stand pads ripped off taking part of a port with it and they fixed it quickly and never an issue.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:
Not sure how bad the heads are but Nyes can fix some pretty messed up stuff. I had rocker stand pads ripped off taking part of a port with it and they fixed it quickly and never an issue.

Interesting. I wonder if it's all in house work?

My machinist of 40 years or so is getting out, he's 72 and in good shape, can't be mad at that, but it's gonna be inconvenient for me.

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Pro
Picture of Goob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1800gb:
Had a Track 1,that had dropped a valve and destroyed a cylinder.Sent to Brodix for repair.New cylinder was better than out of the box..as the port work that was done along with the repair made it look so much better than the other 3 cylinders...But that was 15yrs ago....

That's why I was leaning toward sending them to Brodix, maybe these 35 year old heads will come back upgraded.... Big Grin

Dave Cook
N375

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Send them to Brodix! Had a friend that had a destroyed chamber that was thru the water jacket, came back from Brodix you had to look for a color change to tell where it was welded. The heads now have over 500 runs, no problems. That sold me to always use Brodix heads.

Posts: 13 | Location: papillion NE | Registered: January 13, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of rusty
posted Hide Post
i have used brodix for repars,good work

honesty is the best policy,insanity is a better deffense
1.036, 6.16@ 224

Posts: 1396 | Location: texas | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Paul S/Q
posted Hide Post
Goob , why not use Mike Duke cylinder head development , in Indy. .. hes been freshening/repairing our stuff for 17-18 years now .. one of the best cyl head guys in the business and right there by you ....weve completely blown chambers out of the head and they come back looking perfect ...run em down to him to look at ....317-435-5088

Posts: 783 | Location: hopefully pickin up a check in the winners circle | Registered: November 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine sent a head in to Brodix that had a couple rocker stands pull out of the head two or three years ago. It took way longer to get fixed than they said it would. Yesterday one of the spots that was repaired failed again. I’d give someone local to you a shot.

Posts: 712 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I sent them my head after some damage. Bottom line after i got it back the aluminum around the guide was cracked. I called, after sending pics they said "that's what happens sometimes". I took them to someone else to fix their repair.
FYI the crack piece broke off with just some slight pressure.

Joe
PS it was a mopar head, maybe they don't give a chit

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
Yes in house I'm 99% sure.

quote:
Originally posted by Goob:
quote:
Originally posted by inferno camaro:

Interesting. I wonder if it's all in house work?

My machinist of 40 years or so is getting out, he's 72 and in good shape, can't be mad at that, but it's gonna be inconvenient for me.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sr4440:
I sent them my head after some damage. Bottom line after i got it back the aluminum around the guide was cracked. I called, after sending pics they said "that's what happens sometimes". I took them to someone else to fix their repair.

Joe

Who did that? Brodix or someone else?

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

Posts: 3990 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of DLR
posted Hide Post
Hi Tech Welding Inc in Plymouth, MI - (734) 414-1994
Chris Razor is the best in the business!

Posts: 469 | Location: BENTON HARBOR, MI | Registered: August 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

Joe

Curly

I sent Brodix one head and told them to fix the one cylinder that was damaged, they asked if i wanted a valve job done. I told them "no" you only have one head. They replaced the guides in the bad cylinder they cracked the aluminum around the guide and returned it to me. I called and sent them pictures and was told "that's what happens sometimes". we managed to break off the piece of aluminum without much effort. I am 100% certain that if left alone that chunk of aluminum would have caused me issues later on.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Curly1:
quote:

Joe

Curly

I sent Brodix one head and told them to fix the one cylinder that was damaged, they asked if i wanted a valve job done. I told them "no" you only have one head. They replaced the guides in the bad cylinder they cracked the aluminum around the guide and returned it to me. I called and sent them pictures and was told "that's what happens sometimes". we managed to break off the piece of aluminum without much effort. I am 100% certain that if left alone that chunk of aluminum would have caused me issues later on.

Joe

WOW! I saw the pictures, that is poor workmanship no doubt about it. Terrible.

"Dunning-Kruger Effect"