DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Grid intermittent shifting
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Grid intermittent shifting
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted
At the track and having an issue with the grid not shifting in my uncles car. It will work first pass of the day then work whenever it wants. Grounds are good. What else can we look for before 1st round?

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports
www.dynastymotorsports.com

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Make sure you’re using a relay.
Switch to output switch or shift light to try to rule out the box.

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Brktracer
posted Hide Post
Lower rpm set point to test in the pits

Matt Ward

Posts: 1389 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: March 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brktracer:
Lower rpm set point to test in the pits

Set it at 2k and it worked perfectly. Hopefully it will work the rest of the day

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports

Posts: 456 | Location: Ft. Washington, MD USA | Registered: March 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
quote:

Its using a relay. Might try to wire it to shift light.

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports

DRR Sportsman
Picture of TonyB6255
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
quote:

Its using a relay. Might try to wire it to shift light.

I had the same issue years ago at the first Vegas Fling. Make sure you have at least 200 rpm between on and off. I have mine set at 300 and set up on output switch.

Posts: 633 | Location: Rochester, WA | Registered: November 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Avoid using the Output Switch to shift your car. The Output Switch is a “Timer” with a RPM function.

Use the Shift Light function to shift your car. Shift Light is more accurate for RPM output.

Shift Light also uses the Gear Shift Tab programming to keep the Gear Indicator time locked and allows the Gear Indicator to move to the next gear when the shift is complete.

Shift Light also has a Power-ON Test cycle to check mechanical operation of the shifter when desired.

Posts: 2452 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Let me guess...shifts fine every time in the pits or with a tester, but won’t shift going down track?!?!?

99% of the time the fix for this is UPDATE THE FIRMWARE!!!

Seriously! My personal car did this...fixed a dozen or so cars at the track. There was a bug in the earlier firmware/software.

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Agreed with Ohio.

To check Firmware version in Grid go to top line and select Help / About and the SW Version should be 1.8.0 .

Go HERE https://www.holley.com/product...ag_racing/parts/7730 and select the Download MSD VIEW Software. This contains the updated firmware for Grid 7730.

Posts: 2452 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
Agreed with Ohio.

To check Firmware version in Grid go to top line and select Help / About and the SW Version should be 1.8.0 .

Go HERE https://www.holley.com/product...ag_racing/parts/7730 and select the Download MSD VIEW Software. This contains the updated firmware for Grid 7730.

Everyone I’ve fixed, including my own, was showing 2014...lol

Dykes & Strippers Custom Wiring
Auto Meter Authorized Dealer
CleanYourTrailer.com
Horse Power Sales
USADragRacingChat.com
Fab Shop
Race Flow Development

245" Harry Clack
399 inches of Horse Power Sales Power
1.031, 2.978, 4.640 at 147.47

Posts: 492 | Location: Lebanon, OH | Registered: March 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
The Firmware versions back in 2014 were 1.5.1 and 1.5.2, the latter being a very good version for the time. I have the ehe files for those and actually went back to the 1.5.2 when MSD came out with 1.6.x and it modified two of the features of the earlier version that didn’t work for me.

I find 1.7.6 and the most recent 1.8.0 to both be very reliable versions.

For those that have Grids with older firmware, a wise choice is to upgrade imho. Simple to do.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Matrix
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input fellas. I'll relay the info

Daryl Pinder

Dynasty Motorsports

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
Markemark, went to the link you posted. It shows a different version?
MSD View Software
MSD View version 4.4.9.exe Software for use with Power Grid System
What Am I doing wrong?

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
MSD View Software
What Am I doing wrong?

Dave

You are doing this correctly. You want MSD View version 4.4.9.exe of software. Inside that software is the SW 1.8.0 ehe firmware that you want to upgrade too.

Install the 4.4.9 software on your laptop (right over the present version. Installs in 2 parts) and then attach to Grid. When you attach, the software will check to see what version is presently in Grid. If the version is older than 1.8.0 MSDView will query you to update. Do the update. Takes about 2 minutes most. Do nothing while updating. Wait until complete.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of David Covey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by David Covey:
MSD View Software
What Am I doing wrong?

Dave

You are doing this correctly. You want MSD View version 4.4.9.exe of software. Inside that software is the SW 1.8.0 ehe firmware that you want to upgrade too.

Install the 4.4.9 software on your laptop (right over the present version. Installs in 2 parts) and then attach to Grid. When you attach, the software will check to see what version is presently in Grid. If the version is older than 1.8.0 MSDView will query you to update. Do the update. Takes about 2 minutes most. Do nothing while updating. Wait until complete.

OK, Thanks, I wasn't aware it was inside. I was looking for 1.8.0.

Dave

"It is usually futile to try to talk facts and analysis to people who are enjoying a sense of moral superiority in their ignorance." -Thomas Sowell

Posts: 3306 | Location: American By Birth Texan By The Grace Of God  | Registered: April 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post