Find
Notify
Tools

The EFI Thread
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of PineApple Express Racing
posted Hide Post
Looks like I have reading material for a while. I am having a 632 BBF built for bracket racing. I use to run a EEC IV Ford ECU in a basic stock 12 sec car. Now to step up. I have a Holley Dominator ECU. When I have the headers made I will have bungs added for "each" cylinder to have EGT AND O2 sensors. I more than likely will only run O2 sensors close to the head flange. The motor is built out of Kasse race engine shop the heads are SR-71 and custom ported by Charlie Evans. Our target is 1200 HP on Methanol. After some short calculations the injectors will be hugh. I have got it set up for coil on plug for adjustments from the ECU on each cyl. I will begin the quest in a month on Kasse dyno. Going from flat 12's to high 8's. Many question as to why I'm using alcohol, Well here in warmer / HOT climates I think it will be more forgiving in heat as well as its a dam cheaper fuel to run. YES it will take more BUT still on a budget as a retired racer. The adventure BEGINS!!!

Oh I guess I'll use u tube to pack a chute.

Chuck
PAE

Posts: 113 | Location: Las Vegas USA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
How large are you coming up with Pineapple for injectors?
There is more than one way to skin that cat, but one set of large injectors is the most straight forward.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of Rick!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PineApple Express Racing:
Looks like I have reading material for a while. I am having a 632 BBF built for bracket racing. I use to run a EEC IV Ford ECU in a basic stock 12 sec car. Now to step up. I have a Holley Dominator ECU. When I have the headers made I will have bungs added for "each" cylinder to have EGT AND O2 sensors. I more than likely will only run O2 sensors close to the head flange. The motor is built out of Kasse race engine shop the heads are SR-71 and custom ported by Charlie Evans. Our target is 1200 HP on Methanol. After some short calculations the injectors will be hugh. I have got it set up for coil on plug for adjustments from the ECU on each cyl. I will begin the quest in a month on Kasse dyno. Going from flat 12's to high 8's. Many question as to why I'm using alcohol, Well here in warmer / HOT climates I think it will be more forgiving in heat as well as its a dam cheaper fuel to run. YES it will take more BUT still on a budget as a retired racer. The adventure BEGINS!!!

Oh I guess I'll use u tube to pack a chute.

Chuck
PAE

quote:
Originally posted by Bucky:
How large are you coming up with Pineapple for injectors?
There is more than one way to skin that cat, but one set of large injectors is the most straight forward.

For reference, we are using 160pph Atomizer 3 injectors at 60 psi (59-62psi during the run) on a 1000hp engine. The extra pressure puts them around 180pph. Dyno BSFC is around 1.01. Duty cycle is 63% NA and 78% on a 300 shot that adds 200pph for a total of 1100pph.

160s idle fine down to 1.5msec pulsewidth at 60psi. We had Atomizer 3 225s but the the idle fuel pulsewidth went really small so Jack took them back and sent us 160s.

Simple calcs puts your injector size around 190pph (1920cc/min) for an 80% duty cycle for 1200HP at a BSFC of 1.0. Fuel pump flow looks to be around 3.85gpm at 1200pph. YMMV

Posts: 81 | Location: behind this screen | Registered: July 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of PineApple Express Racing
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention we WILL run NA, "all motor" If I remember correct and I have to get my information out, its was 260 or 280 # per Hour. The additional was for methanol fuel and the sharp increase is for type of fuel. We did contact Aeromotive as their type of pump would be used.

I am looking at Rick's information as I said I got a lot of reading to soak in.

Chuck
PAE

Posts: 113 | Location: Las Vegas USA | Registered: July 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PineApple Express Racing:
I forgot to mention we WILL run NA, "all motor" If I remember correct and I have to get my information out, its was 260 or 280 # per Hour.

Rise your base to 60 PSI and one set of 220's probably be enough.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I looked and mine are Bosch 210's short with the Denso connector.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6380 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
When it comes to pumps, either belt drive or electric can be used. With some good reasons, the electric is often favored. They build pressure quickly and start up almost instantly.

But, when you run alky, and make some power, the volume needed with an electric can mean a pretty spendy one or two and electricity consumption to match. The big ones can be interesting to mount on a dragster too, which can present a challenge.

I started with my Ron's pump that I have used for years with MFI. I had to add a regulator of course. It ran fine actually. But starting was challenging, as it didn't build pressure quickly. So either you cranked, or you used a primer. It seemed like I struggled to keep from backfiring on startup with that setup. So I called Scott from Killer Ron's and got one of their bigger pumps that was appropriate for EFI. First start of the day takes some cranking, which also shows some oil pressure. After that it starts right up. Plenty of volume of methanol and it can really make pressure. I run my injectors at 100 psi base, and 10 psi additional with boost. The pressure data is flat dead on. So the pump isn't maxed out by any means. And there is no electrical draw from the pump, which is nice since I run a couple little batteries.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I put a 20gpm lil Bertha on mine. I didn’t want the pump to be a issue. 80 psi base the goes up to the 110-120 range (I think I am remembering correct)

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Will Hanna recently did a 2 part interview with EFI guru Shane Tecklenburg discussing EFI and Will comparing it to MFI. Lots of great info in both of these from the basics to tuning, I learned a lot listening to these entire interviews

The interviews are 1.5 and 2 hours long each so if you sheltering in place, it will give you something to do haha

Part 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...rcA&feature=emb_logo

Part 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?...9LE&feature=emb_logo

Posts: 2410 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I need to hear that but not sure I will find the time for it

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1515 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post