DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    another thread on chute sizing. 1/8 vs 14
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

another thread on chute sizing. 1/8 vs 14
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
whuke running numbers thru formula for figurubg chute size it occurred to me that my speed was for 1/4 not 1/8. So I ran both thru the math. and big difference, not much surprise there. 410 for 1/8 mile speed and boardering 430 on 1/4 mile.

Since 95% of runs will be 1/8 it makes sense to use that number. Debates begin. LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Call Stroud and be done

Posts: 1238 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Not the point. My point is if going by formula you can runs smaller chute for 1/8 mile than required for 1/4.

Don't need to call stroud that's why they have the info on the net with formula. Plus I have two chutes that are more than needed and another on the way because of price. Figure I can sell two,buy a smaller one for 1/8 and have a bigger one for 1/4 if need. Samller one is 3 to 4 lbs lighter and according to math molre than enough to work properly.

Thread was to see if anyone has good reason a smaller one would be bad for 1/8 instead of larger one.

Posts: 4184 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
white safety chutes are lighter and easier to pack, stop just fine in the 1/8 or 1/4, just my opinion

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1516 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
This is the formula from McAmis website. A formula is a formula in my opinion. Just use 1/8 mile speed rather than 1/4.

(Weight of car, in pounds) X (Speed, in mph) / 1,000

For example: (1,600 X 150) / 1,000 = 240 This is the MAX limit for S/C.

If you have a higher number than this, you require a stronger chute.

S/C 400 or less S/G 410 or less C/E 420 or less P/S 430 or less Alcohol / Fuel Rail Must use 2 chutes / Alcohol / Fuel Funny Must use 2 chutes.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
same formula on Stroud's site.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Ordered a 400 and selling 2 of the 3 430 chutes. Break even or close and have one for both 1/4 and 1/8. Probably never need larger one but with no cost only makes sense to keep it.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I had 2 of the Stroud recommended 430 chutes with air launchers. Chutes would hit way too hard pulling just 1, if it wasn't for the belts it would throw me out of the car. I pulled both chutes one time last year at Bowling Green and they tried lifting the back of the car up and turn me sideways, not a good feeling going north of 225mph.

A couple of months back I switched to White safety chutes, no more ripping my head off when they deployed, cars stops just as good, way easier to pack and saved 4lbs per chute in weight, well worth the investment

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yea use to hate dumping both an Alcohol car,damn crotch belt would have you tweeting for hour or so if not correct place when you hit them. LOL

Wish you had showed up about 8 hours ago Big Steve.

Pretty sure the smaller chutes are about 4 lbs lighter than 430's with strouds too.

DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
One thing I can say about the Stroud chutes, except for the deployment bag, the shroud lines and chutes themselves have held up very well over the past 4 years of pulling the chute on most every pass. A bit heavy but very durable

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Big Steve,

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
can't have it all I have heard,not that I believe it just heard it.