Find
Notify
Tools

Powermaster
 Login/Join

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted
Sometimes something happens with a company that you just have to call them out on it. In my case, it's Powermaster.

Last week I sent my alternator off my dragster to Powermaster to do a 16 volt conversion on, since I had the 12v version. My alternator was about 3 years old, but was only used for about one of those years. When I called them, they told me it would be $35 to do the change. No biggie, I sent it off, along with my contact info and instructions of what I wanted. Well, I expected a call from them about my alternator, and no call...none...nothing....Fast forward to today. I get a delivery from UPS, and it's a box from powermaster. Since I never got a call for billing info, I was wondering if maybe I had forgotten to put the information in with my alternator when I sent it, and they just sent it back to the origin.....until I opened the box.....

It would appear that my money isn't good enough for Powermaster.. Evidently, they also chose not to follow my directions and convert my alternator over to 16v either. Instead, Powermaster decided to send me a BRAND NEW XS Volt alternator, complete with NEW pulley, AT NO CHARGE TO ME!!! I was super surprised at this, as the XS version is an upgrade from the standard 16v. So, I guess they felt that just sending me a brand new alternator was a better option! I can't say thanks enough to them, that's above and beyond!!

THANK YOU POWERMASTER for excellent customer service!

Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream Racing dragster
www.livinthedreamracing.com
"Speed kills but it's better than going slow!"
Authorized Amsoil Retailer

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
Good job Powermaster! Two thumbs up, my highest rating.

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1829 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
The more you win, the easier it gets.

I remember when Powermaster came on the scene, I was told Tilton. I didn't have Tilton money, so I took my chances.

I still have the same starter to this day and have bought probably another 50 for cars I've worked on.

It's real good chit, I've never seen one go bad.

That's why they can afford to do what they did. The more you win, the easier it gets.

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I've personally had great luck using both Powermaster alternator's and starters but I have a similar story to add …………..

A friend of mine recently told me he took off a much used still working Powermaster alternator and noticed the case was cracked. Sent it back to Powermaster for a re-case and received a new alternator in return, FREE OF CHARGE !!!!!

Great to hear this type of service still exists USA

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have had a Tilton Super Starter and Powermaster starter. The Tilton is my spare. I am a firm believer in the 139 tooth deal and Powermaster had exactly what I wanted and it has been great.

Also I looked around for a long time to find the perfect alternator bracket since my dragster has no room. They had a bracket that fit, alternator almost hits oil pan and frame and there is No adjustment but it fit when nobody else had one that would work. Their web site has drawings and measurements of the brackets so you can see what will work in tight spots.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
That's great they did that but they didn't do you any favors giving you the XS adjustable regulator version.

Those regulators are junk and are known to fail. Two reputable race alternator companies confirmed this when mine had an issue.

Sent mine off to Mark Payne and had him replace the adjustable regulator with a fixed regulator.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
My powermaster alternator is only one year old but so far so good and the adjustable regulator is still good.

Posts: 2591 | Location: at the track | Registered: May 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DOTracer:
That's great they did that but they didn't do you any favors giving you the XS adjustable regulator version.

Those regulators are junk and are known to fail. Two reputable race alternator companies confirmed this when mine had an issue.

Sent mine off to Mark Payne and had him replace the adjustable regulator with a fixed regulator.

Ok, so if it does, I'll send it back to them for repair. Point is, they DIDN'T HAVE to send me a new alternator. THEY COULD HAVE BUT DIDN'T CHARGE ME. Not even for the return shipping.....but at the same time, I've had literally hundreds of people tell me that certain things were junk, high failure rate, etc.....yet I ran them successfully for years.....

If they are junk and failing, I sure don't see much about it being posted, yet I do see a lot of other stuff being posted about other products that fall into the same category....I guess my question is, why did it fail? What happened when it did, or what was going on when it failed? Was the failure caused by something other than just the alternator?

I've been working on cars and trucks all my life. Most of my experience comes from the heavy duty diesel industry. For many years I worked on trucks, busses, and equipment that used external, adjustable regulators on the alternators. In all honesty, the only ones I've seen fail had other issues that caused it, such as poor grounding, killing battery switches with the engine running, etc. Even power master tells you to wire the alternator to the battery side of the cutoff switch (rules requirement anyway), and NOT to shut off the switch with the engine running, as it can damage the alternator.

If I have something fail, I like to figure out why so I can correct that issue and it doesn't happen again. If this fails, I'll send it back to them for repair. If it continues, then I'll request a non-adjustable regulator instead of the XS version. I just find it hard to believe with the reliability of electrical components these days that those parts "just fail", and there isn't an underlying issue that's actually causing it. I'm not saying you're wrong, but if I took everybody's word to heart about everything they say is bad, I'd need to live on another planet just to be safe.....

Mark Goulette

Posts: 1465 | Location: Back home in Alaska! | Registered: February 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<DOTracer>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Coloradoracer:
quote:

Ok, so if it does, I'll send it back to them for repair. Point is, they DIDN'T HAVE to send me a new alternator. THEY COULD HAVE BUT DIDN'T CHARGE ME. Not even for the return shipping.....but at the same time, I've had literally hundreds of people tell me that certain things were junk, high failure rate, etc.....yet I ran them successfully for years.....

If they are junk and failing, I sure don't see much about it being posted, yet I do see a lot of other stuff being posted about other products that fall into the same category....I guess my question is, why did it fail? What happened when it did, or what was going on when it failed? Was the failure caused by something other than just the alternator?

I've been working on cars and trucks all my life. Most of my experience comes from the heavy duty diesel industry. For many years I worked on trucks, busses, and equipment that used external, adjustable regulators on the alternators. In all honesty, the only ones I've seen fail had other issues that caused it, such as poor grounding, killing battery switches with the engine running, etc. Even power master tells you to wire the alternator to the battery side of the cutoff switch (rules requirement anyway), and NOT to shut off the switch with the engine running, as it can damage the alternator.

If I have something fail, I like to figure out why so I can correct that issue and it doesn't happen again. If this fails, I'll send it back to them for repair. If it continues, then I'll request a non-adjustable regulator instead of the XS version. I just find it hard to believe with the reliability of electrical components these days that those parts "just fail", and there isn't an underlying issue that's actually causing it. I'm not saying you're wrong, but if I took everybody's word to heart about everything they say is bad, I'd need to live on another planet just to be safe.....

That's awesome that they took good care of you on the issue. Not very common these days.

When two different companies tell me the adjustable regulators are problematic, I believe them rather than get offended.

I fully support Powermaster. I've used their 16 volt alternator, XS starter and D1600 battery for many years now with good success.

DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I fully support Powermaster. I've used their 16 volt alternator, XS starter and D1600 battery for many years now with good success.

XM Power Batteries is a different company than Powermaster but they are also a very good company to work with. I had a 16 V battery from them that had an issue. Sent it back and warranty had just expired. They replaced it under warranty and paid shipping and everything.
Flawless since.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4003 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Who said I'm offended? Definitely not. But I have ran into situations where a company will bash another to get your business as well. Not saying that's the case, but it DOES happen almost daily. I just think that if it were as common as it's being made out to be, there would be more information on it....and there isn't. Just leads me to think that MAYBE someone isn't being completely honest about everything.

Like I said though, if it becomes a problem for me, I'll address it. Until then, I'm thankful for the customer support they provided, and as a result, I'll continue to do business with them.

Mark Goulette

DRR Pro
Picture of Alaskaracer
posted Hide Post
Let me ask this: if they are junk, and they fail, what is causing them to fail so much? If they are junk and fail so much, why isn't there a ton of information about that? (There isn't, I looked). If they are junk and fail so much, why is it still being offered when they also have a standard 16v regulator? As I mentioned before, I'd like to know WHY before I'll accept "because". I don't care what company or companies are "verifying" it. I want to see proof...not claims.

Mark Goulette

<DOTracer>
posted
Dude, it's just an alternator were talking about. I gave my opinion and suggestion. Agree, disagree, take it or leave it, I don't really care.

I don't understand why some want to argue about parts. Not worth the effort IMO.

I'm out.

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Dude, it's just an alternator were talking about. I gave my opinion and suggestion. Agree, disagree, take it or leave it, I don't really care.

I don't understand why some want to argue about parts. Not worth the effort IMO.

I'm out.

These people are banking, you know why? Because they sell an excellent product.

You know how to know they're banking? Because they send you a new altenator when you send yours in for a repair.

I couldn't tell ya about your deal, but the worst person to ask about a company that is banking, is another company in the same field not banking.

I've heard of Powermaster doing this on several occasions now. It means they're banking with very few failures. Common sense.

It used to be you'd hear of several companies doing stuff like this from time to time, but back then they were all banking, with every track in America just about running 33 race championship seasons, with a lot more cars in competition to service.

They'd all like to if they could, most are racers themselves, so they get it. It was a real common occurrence back in the day these companies gave some kind of courtesy to racers whether it be a surprise discount, or a surprise in the box when it arrived. I can't remember a purchase I ever made there wasn't a surprise. It only means they're passing their good fortunes forward in support of your potential for good fortune.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Mike Rietow,

Posts: 9398 | Location: Madeira Beach Fl. | Registered: June 12, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Ron Gusack
posted Hide Post
I sent my Powermaster starter in with all my contact info and told them I'd like to have it upgraded to an XS if possible and to call me for my card number. About 10 days later I get a package with a brand new XS, a catalog, a few business cards and no bill. They did the same thing a couple years ago with an alternator I sent in to be rebuilt. I'm a loyal Powermaster customer.

Posts: 459 | Location: Maryland | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Power Master’s had great service send starters in every other year for check up they came back looking like new last time starters were shipped back and he had none of my billing information call about two weeks later to pay for great customer service

Posts: 34 | Location: rubicn wi. | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Best free advertising Powermaster could get. This tread was started on June 6. Today June 11 there have been 591 views. With the positive review and the exponential spreading of this review who do you think wins? These guys (Powermaster) are not stupid. Not only did Colorado get a new alternator but countless others have chimed in with more positive comments. Great job Powermaster and Colorado for bring this forward. BTW, I have run Powermaster equipment for many years with very good results.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/FZ6zwnyDwUg

^^^This is a Powermaster starter on pretty much as high end as a 23 sbc gets. 1" lift camshaft valve spring pressure 1400 plus open.

Like I said I use them on everything I work on.

I took a chance with Powermaster when they first come out with excellent results.

I did the same with spragless torque converters and Dixie electric shift solenoids.

I rarely follow what everyone else is doing.

First they laugh at you, then they copy you.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bad News
posted Hide Post
I hate to jump on the bandwagon....well not really.
Sent my 16v 55A mini to get checked as it was not charging, they advised it had a small issue, fixed it,tested it, sent a test card.
They did tell me it was too small of amperage to do what I was doing, but it is all the room I had at the time. Sent it back no charge,no freight, not nothing. Thanks Joe! I will buy another.....

Posts: 868 | Location: ft laud | Registered: September 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of inferno camaro
posted Hide Post
I sent in a 60 amp 12 volt to be converted to adjustable. Same deal, brand new 100 amp adjustable for free. I had an issue with it and they send another upgraded alt at no charge. Again I had an issue so they called this time and went through my entire wiring setup and discovered wiring was way too small and causing heat issues. The did charge me this time but they go WAY above and beyond the average shop.

Posts: 361 | Location: Indiana | Registered: January 20, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post