DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Centerline Convo-Pro 2.0 wheels - made in China
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Centerline Convo-Pro 2.0 wheels - made in China
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
Picture of Bad Nusz
posted
I just bought a new pair of Convo-Pro wheels from Jeg's. I like/liked those wheels for racing because they were light and the middle section was thin.

While mounting them on my race truck this evening, I noticed that the center part of the wheel was thicker and would not work with the short wheel nuts that I had always used with Convo-Pro rims.
WT?

They weigh about as much now as my Centerline Auto-Drag wheels.

I noticed too that they read "Made in China". Have they always been made in #$%^& China?? I'll have to write Centerline to express my dissatisfaction......

Does slave labor really save that much money, considering the shipping costs?

On Centerline's website now they're called "Convo-Pro 2.0". They were seemingly out of production for awhile there, so now this....

Posts: 327 | Location: Sioux Falls, SD | Registered: March 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
I noticed too that they read "Made in China". Have they always been made in #$%^& China??

No, the company was sold years ago. I first ran Centerline wheels in the late 70's.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
Does slave labor really save that much money, considering the shipping costs?
[QUOTE]

Well, there's the problem the whole United States faces, for an example a 4x8 sheet of drywall weighs about 75 lbs, HD sells a cheap one for $10 so considering what they paid the Chinese manufacturer and then their retail mark-up what do you think the shipping costs were? I think 1 or 2 dollars MAX!!....it costs me $.50 to send a 1 ounce letter to my nextdoor neighbor.

Posts: 163 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: March 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Bad Nusz, have you ever heard of Malcolm Mclean? He designed the standard overseas container. That, was the beginning of the cheap Chinese flood.

Posts: 519 | Location: Southeast | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1320racer:
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Nusz:
I noticed too that they read "Made in China". Have they always been made in #$%^& China??

No, the company was sold years ago. I first ran Centerline wheels in the late 70's.

Do you know who bought them out?

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
we mount and balance a ton of the centerline wheels and I have always found them to be real poorly made,flimsy construction.
same with those drag star wheels..we have seen a lot with imperfections and casting flaws...cant believe they pass quality control like that

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Roger McGinnis
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jenavet:
we mount and balance a ton of the centerline wheels and I have always found them to be real poorly made,flimsy construction.
same with those drag star wheels..we have seen a lot with imperfections and casting flaws...cant believe they pass quality control like that

Proof that the SFI foundation is a joke.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 559 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: January 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post