DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    et loss with extra stall
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

et loss with extra stall
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
S.W.A.G HERE. Roughly how much et loss would 700 extra stall cost? Assuming of coarse thats above optimal. 6600 going to 7300 car running 4.60 to 4.70 range.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4158 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
There is a point of diminishing returns somewhere, but I've always seen higher stall to be faster and more consistent. The question is, can you handle the RPM at the top?

That is far from an absolute; there is a lot more to a torque converter than just a stall number.

Also, how did you determine that 6600 is the optimum stall? I like the stall to be 600-1000 RPM above the torque peak.

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3148 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Peak is between 6000 and 6800 ,according to desktop dyno.Yea its not real world,but normally very close given correct info and I have checked it against dozen real world dyno runs.Got to start with something and calculate as close as can. Also pretty close to where fall back at shift should be. Again all calculations for now and probably just good ball park.

Not saying 6600 is perfect number. I know one change I will make will add 200 to 250 TQ and according to FTI that should be about 700 more rpm given info of build. I know change will net big gains due to power increase.Have been told probably will loose some back due to extra stall. Just a wondering question more than anything.

As for rpm.Motor is same piece I ran TA/D with (well except the big fan with 50 lbs boost)and had 10,500 shifts.While not concerned about rpm would rather keep it way below that.Figure 9000 to be my high side.Most runs will be 1/8,but 1/4 shouldn't kill the tach.

Posts: 4158 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I recently went from 5500 to 6500 and didn't lose any. Picked up in the 60'.

Posts: 475 | Location: here | Registered: February 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Nichols
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between moving up or down within your powerband, and moving out of the powerband.

My guess is that you could lose up to .1. I don't think it will get any faster.

Couple of points.....Are you changing the cam to be NA or are you just taking the supercharger off? If the cam is not changed, your powerband will not be where you expect it without the supercharger.

Posts: 157 | Location: Charlestown, IN U.S.A | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
using same cam.Not going by manufacture number but using desktop dyno to get in ball park.
As stated its normally dang close to real world stuff +/- 2% most of the time if you feed it correct cam and head flow numbers. with 296* at .050 Im betting powerband is not low.Did advance cam few degrees from spec but good ways away from where we ran in blown deal. Ran 4.90's in 200 lbs heavier car using blower manifold with adapter on top and enderle hat thats too big. Going with sheetmetal intake,same hat for short term until new one is finished. Fuel system should be closer than old set up also.

I've run this setup before with zero issue just being more aggressive on this one.More compression,better induction and hotter ignition.Most of which are a had it laying here thing. Yes a 280/275 cam should make more power,but 48*(raised cam) cams are not cheap and it is bracket racing.If car repeats like I think it shoudl great,if not then maybe cam change.