DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Do you sleep in your trailer?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you sleep in your trailer?
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
posted
I'm broke and trying to figure out the most comfortable way to sleep in my trailer at some of these big races. What do you guys do for A/C and heat, Sleeping arrangement, and most importantly showers???

Have a 32' tag with a golf cart and a door car. Decent amount of floor space left.

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Does the trailer have a paddle latch with inside handle? You probably realize a trailer designed for "occupancy" would have to have a emergency release window of adequate size for egress. That said, you could just make sure the rear door isn't latched and push it open/down from the inside. Recently discussed in a thread was mini split air conditioners which could have heat pump capabilities. As for your shower wishes, I'd look at an outdoor shower. Everyone needs a little mud in their pit.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I do not sleep in trailer...have RV, but buddies do.

Air mattress, AC unit with heating capabilities, generator (quiet one). As for shower - buddies use baby wipes, or go to the bathrooms late/early and towel off. I have never witnessed the act so cant speak to technique. LOL.

Make sure you have a way out as mentioned.

Lots do it that way.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ski_dwn_it,

Posts: 1438 | Location: St Marys | Registered: January 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have done something like this on rare occasions.
I have found that I drive better when I get a good night's sleep,so I don't make a regular habit of it.

Posts: 1169 | Location: Elgin,IL | Registered: February 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of head gamez
posted Hide Post
Years ago I often slept in the trailer. Would use either an air mattress or a cot. My trailer had AC with heat. For a shower I would use a solar shower and hang it up in the back of the trailer and let the water run out the back with the door closed. Most of the time it was during the summer so I just used ambient temp water. If you lay the bag out in the sun it will get HOT.

For the sake of your neighbors, get an inverter generator to run all night.

Solar Shower

Mikey

Posts: 1708 | Location: In a Marriott near you! | Registered: February 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Lenny5160
posted Hide Post
I slept in my trailer somewhat regularly for 20 years. Had a thin futon mattress, sleeping bags, and pillows up in the fifth wheel and woke up next to all the spare parts. If the whole family was with, one car sat out to make room on the floor for the kids.

I had no tricks other than a fan. The trailer does have a small window on each side up front where I slept, which I always kept open for ventilation.

One morning in Cordova it was 39 degrees inside when I woke up. I was fine in sweats and a stocking cap. 4 days at the national event in Joliet in July with no showers. As was said, just go to the bathroom and get water where you can.

It isn’t glorious, but you’re racing!

Tony Leonard

Posts: 3154 | Location: Inver Grove Heights, MN | Registered: March 18, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I slept in my old trailers and first let me say that I'm really glad I upgraded to a LQ trailer. Thanks Kenny Anderson!!

Anyway, I never had air conditioning but I did put in one of those plastic showers and a 2.5 gallon electric water heater. It actually worked pretty well. I had a thirty gallon plastic tank and a little pump rigged up.

I simply ran the drain straight out the bottom and into a five gallon bucket. Put a brick in the bucket so it won't blow away. NHRA might not look kindly on dumping it nowadays but I would just pour it in the grass when no one is looking.

I also had a camping style port-a-potty for those late night emergencies.

I used a catalytic heater and had a fan to help cool me in the summer. I had a microwave to heat stuff up and one of those twelve volt coolers for drinks and such. I did get tired of sleeping on an air mattress but I made do. A moving blanket on the floor helps to insulate things if you stop in the middle of the night and don't feel like inflating the air mattress.

A mirror on the wall is a nice addition, gotta look good for those winner circle pictures. LOL

Good luck and save your pennies and get a living quarters trailer, you'll be much happier.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5304 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Appreciate all of the replies. Has anyone put their own motorhome style latch on a trailer door. Also a window?

Posts: 664 | Location: UTD | Registered: September 25, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I am the poor guy in TD in a PU and tag trailer parked among all the Toterhomes. We sleep in the trailer, it's what I can afford. Trailer is insulated and has 15K ac. 24 inch thick pillow top air mattresses are very comfortable, we have over the air TV so we get local channels. Some tracks have showers so that's a luxury when available. Otherwise I taker a hobo shower in the restroom using the sink washcloth and soap and hot water if they have it, not optimal but its only for a few days and we survive just fine.
I look a Motorhomes all the time but then look at the cost associated with them and remember that you race the cars not the motorhomes. My TD has the best parts money can buy and the reason it does and I am very competitive is because I do not have the expense of a motorhome. For 6-10 weekends a year I can survive sleeping in my trailer to keep racing TD.

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am the poor guy in TD in a PU and tag trailer

you are far from poor!! just frugal

Posts: 1424 | Location: united states | Registered: January 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Big Steve:
I am the poor guy in TD in a PU and tag trailer parked among all the Toterhomes. We sleep in the trailer, it's what I can afford. Trailer is insulated and has 15K ac. 24 inch thick pillow top air mattresses are very comfortable, we have over the air TV so we get local channels. Some tracks have showers so that's a luxury when available. Otherwise I taker a hobo shower in the restroom using the sink washcloth and soap and hot water if they have it, not optimal but its only for a few days and we survive just fine.
I look a Motorhomes all the time but then look at the cost associated with them and remember that you race the cars not the motorhomes. My TD has the best parts money can buy and the reason it does and I am very competitive is because I do not have the expense of a motorhome. For 6-10 weekends a year I can survive sleeping in my trailer to keep racing TD.

Good points. That is my theory too. Race car and entry fees....(and in my case buy backs) come first!

DRR S/Pro
Picture of SCDIV1
posted Hide Post
I slept under my open trailer
In a '69 Camaro C/SM car with the shifter jabbing me.....
In my ramp truck, feet sticking out the window
Under my car on the same ramp truck

That was all many years ago and there is NO WAY I'm going racing without a proper bed and a shower/bathroom....No F'en way !

If you have a pickup, a truck camper is a great way to go....I had one for over 10 years...it served me well.

A small class C Motorhome is far better and thats what I have ...

When motels decided to push their prices up so high it made using them way to costly for 2-3-4 days....

Truck campers are not cheap but a used one can usually be found in decent shape....

Posts: 2733 | Location: Where ever I am, I'm here and it's me | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of 1leg
posted Hide Post
If you sleep in the trailer make sure you have:

A up to date fire extinguish right next to you.
Multiable ways to escape in case of fire. The door is not always the best route.
Make sure there is no way to lock you in from the outside.
Store your race fuel outside when you are inside.

Very close friend came close to losing his life when he woke up in his trailer engulfed in flames. Lucky for him he added an escape hatch right over the bed.

Meziere Tech.
Make sure your water pump is on whenever you check your coolant level.

Posts: 238 | Location: Escondido | Registered: July 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Holytown:
I'm broke and trying to figure out the most comfortable way to sleep in my trailer at some of these big races. What do you guys do for A/C and heat, Sleeping arrangement, and most importantly showers???

I don’t sleep in my trailer and at worst would sleep in my truck if forced to.. Hotels are my preferred choice and a great value. If it’s only one person they’re not expensive.

Check out Hotels.com for some good pricing.My hotel bill was the least expensive cost of the 9 large race events that I attended in 2020.

Posts: 2456 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Look at Ed's trailer build. It has a nice fold down bed/futon that looks like it would sleep great.

Posts: 102 | Location: Work | Registered: April 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
I have stayed in hotels many times in the past, cost of hotels is not an issue because I have lots of points earned from traveling and can get free rooms if available in that area. But I find it just convenient to not have to pack up the car and my stuff every night and to wake up in the morning at the track ready to go.
If I decide to go to Indy this year I will get a room for part of the race since it is a week long marathon. But for divisional races, 2-3 nights in the trailer just isn't an issue for us.
And yes the back door stays unlatched to push it open from the inside in an emergency

Posts: 2422 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have slept in my old trailer several times, mostly back in the junior dragsters days at the ECF at Bristol which also has a shower house. Air mattress on the floor, fan on the counter top, ramp door open, side door closed and it was very comfortable on hot summer nights. Slept in current trailer too with the Same setup with but froze my azz off the first time because the cold aluminum floor chilled the air in the mattress. So if you have an aluminum floor, put down something on the floor for a thermal break. That said, the jack knife sofa/bed is the way to go and very comfortable.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
I did it for several years. Had a fold down bed, Propane heat, microwave, etc. Came back after making a pass at Maple Grove years ago and found about 20 friends in there getting warm. It was about 30 degrees. Started out sleeping on the ground under the trailer---the good old days

Posts: 6213 | Location: everywhere | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Man I sure like a bed and a shower anymore. never liked sleeping in the trailer.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6398 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
A bathroom package trailer is a good option if you can swing it.........

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post