DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Zoomies on a n/a dragster
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Zoomies on a n/a dragster
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Murphy Jr
posted
Hey. I been thinking of trying this and I’m not sure if anyone has. I have a 555 big duke in a Racetech that can run high 7.20s to low 30s. I usually set up the car to be a 7.50 player (4.80s). The car is naturally aspirated on alky carb. I been running the down swept dyno techs but wanted to put 2 in trailer with ease. I know it will probably hurt et some and I don’t mind that bc I’ll setup for 7.50s. But I just wanted to know if could possibly hurt the motor anyway or after I do burn out and go to clean carb out will it back fire or pop threw pipes. I know ppl that run them but they are all pro charger or blower setups. But has anyone tried on a n/a setup? Any feed back would be awesome. Just wanted to try something if possible will work and don’t wanna do upswepts

Posts: 214 | Location: Downingtown, pa | Registered: September 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Dave Koehler
posted Hide Post
I have room na w zoomies for years.
No issues.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection - http://www.koehlerinjection.com
Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Nitrous Master Software - Balancing
99% of fuel injection problems are electric.

Posts: 351 | Location: Urbana, IL 61802 | Registered: December 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
On a 358 SBC comp style motor ( B/ED) it was right at a tenth slower with zommies. This was years ago... Doubt if it would hurt anything other than power.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of sst5167
posted Hide Post
I know a couple guys out of division 5 that run zoomies on their bbc super comp cars. They've been doing it for years. So I'm assuming there's nothing to worry about. To me, they sound terrible at low rpm, but once they do a burnout, or head down track, they sound very similar to a blown car.

Mike Boehner

Posts: 92 | Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: January 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
On my 555 in an altered I much prefer zoomies. First, they look cool, second, my car doesn’t sound like a door car (no offense anyone), third, the ET difference is negligible (yes I have done back to back), fourth, the plugs are much easier to get to. I have a few friends in this area that run zoomies also with no ill effects what so ever.

It shouldn’t backfire thru the pipes unless you are rich and putting raw fuel into the pipes. I don’t understand wacking the throttle after you back up from a burn out. If your car is jetted right, there should be no need to “clean it out”. I have never done that, but each to his own.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
1st you mean there is another type of exhaust? PM sent on a set.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of fatpack
posted Hide Post
509 BBC hat injected with 2 1/8 tube zoomies works fine for me! I'm making my second set now, these will be sorta like weed burners. The ones I was running come straight out of the port then kick up and back. I bought the tubes with the bends I wanted and the flanges from A C P's Stahl Headers!

Walt

Posts: 56 | Location: Sykesville | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Murphy Jr
posted Hide Post
Idle sounds ok? Yea I’m thinking a smaller set that don’t come out far and has nice lean back as well. Or a set like disco had on his maybe.

Posts: 214 | Location: Downingtown, pa | Registered: September 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
Picture of bill masiello
posted Hide Post
Bob I did an a to b to a test with zoomies on my injected small block and found that the zoomie was a little faster ! I think mostly because they are 20 lbs lighter ! I went from a 1 7/8 to 2 inch step header with a merge collector to a 2 inch zoomie 20 inch long !

Posts: 64 | Location: shelton ct | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
It will only matter power wise if your running a carb ( other than weight reduction).

Fellow racer and servant of the Lord of Lords
John 14:6
"Creekside Racing Ministry"
MFI system, ProCharger Non-intercooled [6.02 @ 229 or 3.91/660' soft tune and killing power above 6K rpm]
Ron Clevenger

Posts: 1006 | Location: Visalia, Calif. 93292 | Registered: November 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Bob Murphy Jr
posted Hide Post
Alky Apd 1250 carb. Like I said if car slows a tenth so be it. But don’t wanna hurt nothing or not idle right at 900rpm. I wonder if anyone ever had mesh welded in tubes or something for rocks. I was just told they can get in zoomies with ease

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Na on bbc and Hemi with injection never issue. I know few guys say with carbs they cost hundredth or so.Lil brother ran with carb on gas and no issues.

Posts: 4185 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of 67TSCHEVY2
posted Hide Post
Ran a 598 with 2/4 carbs on gas for several years with and without zoomies ...ZERO difference in performance to me .

Posts: 1240 | Location: middle georgia | Registered: July 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Quick Dawg
posted Hide Post
You don’t have to worry about rocks getting in your pipes as long as the pipes point down from the exhaust ports for a few inches before you start your upsweep. I would recommend you don’t put pipes that go straight up from the ports. If you look at all the classic zoomie shaped pipes you will see that most of them point to the ground at about a 45 for 8 to 10 inches. Of course, no rock will ever get in the pipes with the motor running no matter the angle of the pipes.

Posts: 166 | Location: Salt Lake City | Registered: January 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of 27Keith
posted Hide Post
If you like to coast your car in the pits and there is any gravel, i can see something getting in a tube !

4 X Track Champion ( 2 & 2 )
2 X Run off Winner

Posts: 2084 | Location: out there | Registered: March 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Murphy Jr:
Hey. I been thinking of trying this and I’m not sure if anyone has. I have a 555 big duke in a Racetech that can run high 7.20s to low 30s. I usually set up the car to be a 7.50 player (4.80s). The car is naturally aspirated on alky carb. I been running the down swept dyno techs but wanted to put 2 in trailer with ease. I know it will probably hurt et some and I don’t mind that bc I’ll setup for 7.50s. But I just wanted to know if could possibly hurt the motor anyway or after I do burn out and go to clean carb out will it back fire or pop threw pipes. I know ppl that run them but they are all pro charger or blower setups. But has anyone tried on a n/a setup? Any feed back would be awesome. Just wanted to try something if possible will work and don’t wanna do upswepts

Ever think about a stepped zommie? I bet on a combo like yours there is some et.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
I have looked at a step zoomie idea. WIth shortness of the pipe and zero restriction flow wise I doubt there would be any gain,but hey been told being wrong happens to folks. Smaller tube would possibly have a gain,but would require 3 or more sets to see what works best and still probably very small change,but hey it adds up.

If someone does try I would love to hear results.Thinking if any gain so minor you would only see on dyno.