DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    msd grid and racepak timing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

msd grid and racepak timing
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Ok going to try to ask this so understand issue.

Was told that there is 5* loss in box.Meaning 5* difference in reading we see with racepak and what we figure controller shopuld it should be. Example. Mags are set at 62* and we pull 15* at hit so normal thinking is 47* should be reading we see on run log not so. Now I think everything is phased in correct, meaning others doing it and I am not observing it myself.

Yes I know you guys not running mags, but it does not know which ignition unlerss issue is in mag box or mags. Which mean not in racepak vs grid controller

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wideopen231,

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I do know that we used a tach output for the ignition output signal to Rpak. Mag timing will have some some shift, usually a reduction in timing as RPMs go up. As you know the timing trace pick-up has to be physically matched to your timing light reading. We calibrated to stage rpm +/-6k rpm and found that all of the loss of timing was gone by then. The reason there is a loss is due to the force required to turn the mag(s) and amount of play and twist in the mag drive shaft along with your bronze gear backlash/play. I don't think the belt in the drive would be a factor but I would definitely verify that if you are using the pick-up in the mag base that you use the tach signal from the inboard mag as to not allow the belt to be a factor. The electronics also plays a factor in the shift.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
There's a lot of components in RP Pro systems. Is the Electromotion/Lehy safety box controlling timing? In the few Pro systems I worked with the timing was being picked up with a second crank trigger sensor thru the blue cable and could be adjusted as Bry-War mentioned above.

I thought the Grid was for the A-Fuel cars only.

In any case Todd Paton is the man to talk to 949-652-6300.

Posts: 671 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: April 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanls guys. I have found out that Lehy is 5* dealy in it and been told msd runs about the same with this setup. Amazing that with all the technology out that it is 5* off, but it is what it is and just work with it.

Sorry forgot to say it is on the A/fuel car. Guess just train of thought on A/fuel and just figure everyone else on that page. Tunnel thinking I guess.LOL

Yea going to get with Todd In Gainesville .Old TA/FC racing buddy from Ihra days. Well except for when online in other lane.

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4190 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post