DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Lucas transmission fluids
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lucas transmission fluids
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
SEMI-SYNTHETIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID ? No or yes? Looking to use in Glide. Part # 10166 sure-shift.

Posts: 34 | Location: rubicn wi. | Registered: December 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mxx68:
SEMI-SYNTHETIC AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID ? No or yes? Looking to use in Glide. Part # 10166 sure-shift.

Worked good in our dragsters for years. Switched to the FTI fluid last year which also works fine.

Posts: 710 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I have used the Lucas Semi-synthetic for years, in both dragsters and the altered never had a fluid issue. The stuff really works. Did notice that it did run a little cooler.

Posts: 700 | Location: At the beach | Registered: August 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I have also received good service from the Lucas fluid. In addition, I am satisfied with the Lucas break-in oil and the 20/50 Plus oil. All are good products and good value [in my experience]

Larry Woodfin

Posts: 1827 | Location: Kilgore TX | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
i had great luck with ati super f

Posts: 155 | Location: Syracuse NY | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
Don't have Lucas trans fluid in my car but do have Lucas synthetic engine and diff oil. I don't have any problems running Lucas oils. I'll also support Lucas because they're a big sponsor in motorsports.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1349 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Last year I started running high gear only in my dragster. I ran Valvoline maxlife multi vehicle atf that cost 17.97 a gallon at Walmart thinking I was gonna change it a few times with the extra heat. I ended up running the same fluid all season with no issues.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ActionRacingPhotos:
Last year I started running high gear only in my dragster.

Curious… what ET /mph in high gear only ?? What launch rpm do you use with high gear leave ??

Posts: 2438 | Location: 53056 | Registered: December 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't have any problems running Lucas oils. I'll also support Lucas because they're a big sponsor in motorsports.

I too have used Lucas due to their support of racing. However some empirical data might be a better guide post. Most people agree "wear protection" (film strength) is the #1 factor in selecting motor oil. Categories of wear protection have been suggested: Over 120,000 psi = Fantastic wear protection, 150k to 120k = incredible, 90k to 105k = outstanding, 75k to 90k = good, 60k to 75k = moderate, 50k to 60k = undesirable low, etc.

Lucas rankings in test performed on 237 oils: #34 10w30 syn. race only = 106,585 psi, #95 5w30 conventional = 92,073, #157 5w30 syn 76,584, #205 15W40 Magnum diesel 66,476, #216 Hotrod & classic HP 62,538 (w/oil extreme added 105,758 #37), and #235 30wt conv. 49,455.

To what extent one agrees with the above Lucas goes from incredible to undesirable.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.c...l-wear-test-ranking/

Illegitimi non carborundum

Posts: 2324 | Location: OKC, OK | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Motor oil is motor oil.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5297 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by markemark:
quote:
Originally posted by ActionRacingPhotos:
Last year I started running high gear only in my dragster.

Curious… what ET /mph in high gear only ?? What launch rpm do you use with high gear leave ??

Went a best of 7.97 @ 179 but bulk of my runs were 8.04-8.10 @177. Started out the season leaving at 4000 ran a SC race in June bumped it up to 4700 and was too lazy to change it back. We also have a door car going 10.1x 134-5 in high.

Denis LeBlanc

Posts: 461 | Location: Manchester, NH | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of Eman
posted Hide Post
Are there any bad transmission fluids? Or cases where the fluid caused a failure?

Posts: 1451 | Location: E TN | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post