DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    MFI primer plumbing
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

MFI primer plumbing
 Login/Join

DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted
Setting up primer system on car and wondering where others are plumbing into.

Plan is coming off main line to pump,to port distribution block.

Using facet pump. Do these things have a check valve of sort to prevent back feeding thru pump?(maybe in instruction what ever those are) Would it be best to put a one way check between pump and block?

Dang no wonder bracket cars are so dang heavy.About as much stuff on T/f car and I don't have data logger.YET

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
Your priming with alky? Anyways the engine vac will pull fuel through the facet pump. so yes you need a solenoid of somesort to close the line. Mcmaster carr is a good source, or some guys use NOS solenoids.

Posts: 39 | Location: oregon | Registered: December 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I have used alky. I always used either a n2o plate or a nozzle, or nozzles tapped into the intake. But the block should work fine too. I have used an n2o solenoid as well to prevent fuel sucking at idle, which they will do through those pumps. Use a momentary switch for sure.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6375 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
I have used the facet pump with a small Enderle check valve going into distribution block and it did not work. Tried it with gas, E-85 and alcohol.
You have to put the one way check valve in there because your distribution block is under pressure when car is running. Tried it a bunch of different ways and none worked very good.
So I moved the primer system away from the distribution block and put it under the hat. Made my own distribution block just for primer system and I use 4 - .020 nozzles right under the hat and then I use a Mallory Comp 140 pump for the alcohol. I still use the small Enderle style check valve going into my block. It works well and looks nice.

I do know people who have used the facet pump and it worked for them but it did not work for me. The facet pump does not have a check valve you must add one. Dave Koehler (sp?) FIE and any Enderle dealer will have them.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 3981 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Yes using alky. Different fuel means extra tank and even more line and fittings. Dang pump is enough extra weight as is. Spending money to add non HP producing weight is killing me.Already added 25 lbs. with new 300 buck battery. LOL

If not for no crew member days I wouldn't even have this crap.Heck if like blower deal I wouldn't need primer system,starter,battery and buck of heavy wiring. No wonder these dang things are so heavy.
Back to subject at hand.
Was thinking of using a low(2psi) pressure poppet. I can do a air operated lean out that will be closed when air off.Two good things about air,having the pieces means simple and zero cost. Already have air bottle for sle.

As for nozzle size I guess I could use hat nozzles they are .020's and if too much fuel I can just throw a jet in it at dist. block.

Posts: 4175 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of sr4440
posted Hide Post
I have a one way check on mine, plumed into the distro block. I use methanol as my primer, pump picks it up after the fuel filter.
if you have the pump # you can find out if it has a check or anti siphon built into the pump.

Joe

Without data, you’re just another guy with an opinion.

Posts: 1297 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
I use a facet pump plumbed to the distribution block works well.
I use a solenoid between the pump and dis block.

Posts: 690 | Location: Bucks Co Pa | Registered: January 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
Picture of fatpack
posted Hide Post
All the guys I run with including me use a Holley pump pulling from a 6an fitting in the cell and pushing through a check valve and into a tee in the line coming out of the 3 way s/o valve. Primer feeds fuel through the nozzles. Momentary button in the car runs the pump, run it for a couple of seconds blades closed to put fuel in the system. Then open the throttle give it another shot. Pretty quick you figure out how much is too much and when you don't have enough! Works great for us! I wouldn't have shared this but you sit in the middle and the engine is in the front! Which makes it COOL!

Walt

Posts: 56 | Location: Sykesville | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of J178RED
posted Hide Post
Chris there’s a quick fix for your monster , looks like you made another friend . Hope it will Help save some weight in that lead sled of yours....haha

HAVE THEY CALLED US YET ? THEY HAVE!!!

Posts: 2698 | Location: OLD NICK OUT ON THE TRACK OR IN THE DESERT | Registered: March 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of "The Bender"
posted Hide Post
I have a Facet pump with a nitrous fuel solenoid to shut off the fuel so it won't get sucked into the engine when the pump is off. I just use a separate single nozzle above the blower.

Works like a champ. Wink

272" Spitzer
540 Chevy
The Blower Shop XR1
FTI XPM Series Converter
FTI Level 6 Powerglide
3.69@199
.916 60'

2017 Bradenton Heads Up Madness
Open Outlaw Champ

2018 PDRA T/D #5
2019 PDRA T/D #2

2020 Retired From T/D Competition....

2020 Bradenton NMCA Hemi Shootout Winner

2021 getting back into bracket racing with a Gen3 Hemi powered 87 Cutlass.

Posts: 3096 | Location: Yes | Registered: July 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of 23taltered
posted Hide Post
I use a Holley blue pump and a Enderle check valve. The pump is plumbed into the filter by the cell and the pump outlet is teed in after the fuel shutoff . Like Fatpack said, you find out how much fuel to give it pretty easy. It's worked fine for me for a long time.

Bill Huntington
GZMOTORSPORTS.com

gzmotorsports.com/video/PRI2010.wmv

Posts: 163 | Location: Northern Cal | Registered: January 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
I have a small setup that I bought from KillerRONS if your interested, and a spare pump...

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fatpack:
All the guys I run with including me use a Holley pump pulling from a 6an fitting in the cell and pushing through a check valve and into a tee in the line coming out of the 3 way s/o valve. Primer feeds fuel through the nozzles. Momentary button in the car runs the pump, run it for a couple of seconds blades closed to put fuel in the system. Then open the throttle give it another shot. Pretty quick you figure out how much is too much and when you don't have enough! Works great for us! I wouldn't have shared this but you sit in the middle and the engine is in the front! Which makes it COOL!

Pretty much what we do with hillborn stacks except I use a facet and never have to open the throttle. I also run the facet for a second with the shutoff off before I open the shutoff and start cranking.

Posts: 928 | Location: my own little world | Registered: July 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
Thanks for reply's. So nice around here lately ask simple question for ideas and get helpful reply.

Plan has changed a little .Imagine that with me. I am going to run a cpl nozzles in hat and connect to the primer system.Jut enough fuel to get me to starting line while building heat if needed.If too much heat gain I can just hit regular system and if need to cool I can run both and make it little extra rich which will in turn drop temp. Since its all solid block and billet heads there is no cooling system. I have done this a few other ways with past cars but not with as much control as this should add.

Oh yea going with electric solenoid that way when pump is on it will be open when shut off pump solenoid closes.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:
I have a small setup that I bought from KillerRONS if your interested, and a spare pump...

I may be interested in the spare pump if you are selling it.

Posts: 185 | Location: Indy | Registered: January 22, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
i got a holley blue going to a low pressure fuel regulator. going to a nos fuel solenoid. going to the rons plate. i had everything but the low pressure fuel regulator. made it cheap

Tee
wjoh155052@aol.com

Schooled by Scotty
http://www.scottyrichardsonsdragracingschool.com/
615-804-2487

My Home Track
New London Dragway.

www.biondoracing.com
www.racepartdepot.com

Loose Change does not smoke tires because i didn't teach him to do that.

Posts: 2159 | Location: Rustburg VA | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I use alcohol to prime. Facet pump, .041 “jet” in the outlet fitting, fuel solenoid from s nitrous kit as a shut off valve and a standard nitrous plate under the toilet. Starts on first hit of the starter. It’s lean with the.041 and builds heat nicely

Posts: 37 | Location: Pittsburgh, pa | Registered: October 10, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SP310G:
quote:
Originally posted by seabass:

I may be interested in the spare pump if you are selling it.

I’ll sell it, make me a offer. Jrbaxter@sbcglobal.net

J.R. Baxter

""Fathom the hypocrisy of a Government that requires every citizen to prove they are insured ..but not everyone must prove they are a citizen."

2024 Miller
Rolla Competition Engines
ProCharger
Hoosier Tires
Abruzzi

Posts: 1513 | Location: Waxahachie | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post