DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Hood scoop to carb clearance
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hood scoop to carb clearance
 Login/Join

DRR Trophy
posted
I am going to install a new cowl scoop on a hood and want to have the least amount of scoop height as possible. what would be the least amount of clearance from the scoop to carb and is the measurement to the top of the vent tube or main body of carb,thanks Mike

Posts: 2 | Location: Palmerston Ontario Canada | Registered: March 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
I ran dual toilets inside a hood scoop. Had roughly 1-1/2 inches between the top of the toilets and the scoop. Not enough room for an air cleaner.

With a carb, I'm not sure but I would say to have at least an inch above the vent tube.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1349 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of XPS fan
posted Hide Post
From a performance standpoint we use 4" from top of carb to roof of scoop.

NHRA Pro Stock..........now on a no CARB diet.

Posts: 2764 | Location: ohio | Registered: February 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I've never run a hood scoop or a cowl hood on my door cars. I run the stock flat hoods and chose my intake manifold based on it, selecting one with the least amount of height and then I still cut down the carb pad. My vent tubes are right under my hood.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of HS professor
posted Hide Post
I've ran as little as 1/4" from the top of a slanted vent tube, seemed to run fine going 10.50's at the time.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Monroe twp nj | Registered: December 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
HS professor...knows clapping

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat. I have to run a scoop for engine packaging. I made a couple passes without a scoop and picked up .03. Now I'm going to cut down a new scoop and get it as narrow and short as I can.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Pro
Picture of AlkyIROC
posted Hide Post
When I was using a hood mounted scoop, the in car camera showed the back of the hood lifting as I was crossing the finish line.

Nothing special. Just a low aero scoop mounted to a low cowl. Just enough to cover the toilets on a tunnel ram.

Took off the aeroscoop and mounted a Hilborn type scoop directly onto the engine. Hood doesn't lift now and it's much easier to look over. Still grabs more than enough air for the engine.

www.hardtail.com Stephen's Racing Page
Best ET: 9.029
Best MPH: 150.45

Posts: 1349 | Location: Calgary | Registered: June 06, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TomR
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/EkpsydS8JXI

I've already ordered the salad bowl for 2018, lol.

72 Nova "Hooptie"

Posts: 735 | Location: Hanover, MD | Registered: June 20, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of jmarkaudio
posted Hide Post
I would try to keep an inch. And drill holes in the vent tubes from the sides, it will minimize any impact pressure causing bowl pressure to drop going down track. It does happen, and will cause the AF ratio to go lean down track.

Mark Whitener
RFD Heads
FTI Converter
Fab Shop Headers
Home built 2 circuit Dominator :-)
www.racingfuelsystems.com

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.

Posts: 1047 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
In order for carbs to do their job the straighter the air entering the better. Some scoop issues are caused by no sealing the scoop to the hood which allows air to rush across the carb which is not good. Some scoops just cause too much air turbulence and mess with the carb signal. If you car runs better with no scoop try either adding a velocity stack on the carb plate or even adding an air filter! Both with help the air getting into the carb.

BTW, I think an air filter is key for normal bracket racing we do, even in a TD application. Too much crap in the pits along with dust can get in a motor with out one, scoop or no scoop. Their are plenty of good air fitters out there that do not hurt performance!

Posts: 2143 | Location: Tewksbury, MA,USA | Registered: November 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of wideopen231
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tom Reyer:
https://youtu.be/EkpsydS8JXI

I've already ordered the salad bowl for 2018, lol.

Sorry that shyt funny. Gained 9 hp with salad bowl.How many housewives are running around going where in the heck is the salad bowl?
Loved the air cleaner lid upside down part.So it wasn't just to make my quadramess sound cool?

I know the drop base on my 69 panel 454 is history or its getting open top K&N with blanked off sides. That should really boost that smog control motor up.LMAO

America home of free. Brought to you by 2nd amendment.

Posts: 4170 | Location: Greensboro NC | Registered: May 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post