DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Pro style trailer awning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pro style trailer awning
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
Roof mounted awing...

I entertained that idea for awhile. I built my stacker a foot shorter than most, about 12', 6" high, and technically do have room to mount it on the roof. It would be very tight getting in my barn though.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
Anyone put up/take down one? I'm just curious on how difficult it is. I do 99% of the work on my cars at the track and really need over 10' of projection to be safe during rain. I'm ready to pull the trigger on an Ultimate Awning, but was just wondering if anyone can give me enough reason not to buy one....lol.

Mike, I had a 12'x 40 pro type awning (very similar to Ultimate) on my display trailer when I traveled to all the Super Chevy Shows. My trailer was a 50' LQ, standard height. It had brackets on the right wall for uprights. These uprights put the awning above the trailer roof about 2'. I could put it up by myself in one hour. Disassembly was 45 min at most. I would do it all over again on my next big trailer.

Posts: 910 | Location: The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard... | Registered: April 17, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
They make a huge Girard that will mount in a box and go that far. A friend has one flush in the sidewall and shoots out to 12’. He also has three struts like an Arrow to make it better in the wind attached by pins. Awning glides out over struts and it’s 30’ on a 36’ by T&E.

For the win Bry! ^^ we’ve had three ( diff trailers) all flawless.

Raceless in California!

Posts: 4497 | Location: Vacaville  | Registered: January 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
I'm going to call Girard today, but so far all the big trailer manufactures tell me nobody makes a roll out awning like that anymore.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
For the record, I just got off the phone with Girard and they do not make ANY awning that projects over 9' 9". I've dealt with awnings before and the only way to work around my car without having part of it in the rain is with a 12' min awning.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
Mike, please check your email. I have sent you pictures of the brackets hung on the wall of the
trailer. They are a good size.
TD1964

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mark Yeager
posted Hide Post
I have an Arrow 30' awning, and it takes an hour by myself to install, and 1/2" to take down. Its a lot of work. I only put it up if I'm at the track more than 3 days. If I ever build another trailer, I will put the roll up style on it for short events and the big type for long events.

Mark Yeager

Posts: 1380 | Location: Hollister,CA | Registered: April 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD1964:
Mike, please check your email. I have sent you pictures of the brackets hung on the wall of the
trailer. They are a good size.
TD1964

I got it thanks. Those are much more serious than any others I've seen.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
They are serious, you are correct. Remember the awning is hanging off the trailer and has no ground supports. My thought would be to design a bracket system a bit smaller and have the fabric made to size.
The picture you see has the frame that slides into a receiver on the top side of the trailer.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
https://flic.kr/p/2kGES1a

This is the exact type I'm looking at. Supposed to be great in very strong winds.

DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
They are Mike! Until the wind blows someone off the top of the trailer attempting to put up that parachute or put down the parachute.

I am well into my 50's now and I am done getting on roofs for any reason.

If it's so windy or storming everything has to be put away anyhow without the battle of taking a canopy down during a storm because in some cases the race rained out.

Push button or nuttin for me. JMO

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Top Comp
Picture of Curly1
posted Hide Post
Not quite the same thing but I had a couple of the EZ up style canopies and they are not worth the trouble. It appears those pro style would be more of a pain in the tail.
I like to keep it simple and I do not want to waste a bunch of time setting up and tearing down the thing.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/np3zpruo/
"Dunning-Kruger Effect"
-a type of Cognitive bias where people with little expertise or ability assume they have superior expertise or ability. This overestimation occurs as a result of the fact that they do not have enough knowledge to know they don't have enough knowledge.

Before you argue with someone ask yourself, "Is this person mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of a different perspective?" If not there is no point to argue.

4X NE2 CHAMPION. 2020 TDRA NE2 Champion

Posts: 4010 | Location: United States of Texas | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TORQIN:
They are Mike! Until the wind blows someone off the top of the trailer attempting to put up that parachute or put down the parachute.

I am well into my 50's now and I am done getting on roofs for any reason.

If it's so windy or storming everything has to be put away anyhow without the battle of taking a canopy down during a storm because in some cases the race rained out.

Push button or nuttin for me. JMO

I totally get it. I'm not getting on a roof either. I have a plan. I really don't have any other option. I talked to a local awning company and every awning brand they deal with is over 9" sticking off the side of the trailer when rolled up. I can't do that. A pro style is the only real option I've found.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Hotrod Corvette
posted Hide Post
The question is,,,How do you get it down when it is raining and gale force winds? It seems that many days the weather is not fair and dry at the track.

Burt

I'm So Proud To Be An American And Not A Democrat...

Posts: 1219 | Location: Clinton Township, MI | Registered: September 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hotrod Corvette:
The question is,,,How do you get it down when it is raining and gale force winds? It seems that many days the weather is not fair and dry at the track.

Thats the whole point of this style awning. I've talked directly to some owners and the manufacturers all tell me huge winds are perfectly fine. No matter what awning I would use, it would get "arrow" style awning arms to keep it happy in windy conditions. Two of the brands I looked at say 40-50 mph winds are fine.