DragRaceResults.Com    Bracket Talk    Bracket Talk Forum  Hop To Forum Categories  Tech Talk - by Abruzzi    Pro style trailer awning
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pro style trailer awning
 Login/Join

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted
Anyone put up/take down one? I'm just curious on how difficult it is. I do 99% of the work on my cars at the track and really need over 10' of projection to be safe during rain. I'm ready to pull the trigger on an Ultimate Awning, but was just wondering if anyone can give me enough reason not to buy one....lol.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
posted Hide Post
I’d rather hit a button on a girard....seen a guy get caught in the middle of thunderstorm trying to take one down...I’m out

Posts: 1258 | Location: USA | Registered: December 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
I watched Craig Anderson put his up by himself at Indy, pretty much took him about half the day, it’s a lot of work.

Posts: 13522 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of TD3550
posted Hide Post
Let me put it this way.When i used to go to 66 and help the guys with their TAD operation. Pro awning time. Naw that's OK. I'll watch sitting in the chair. It is a multi person operation..Normally they would have 2-3 guys set it up. It takes so much time from trying to get the car ready. The one year there,had some serious wind issues. Some of the bars. Can we say. They had to be replaced.

Were told to take it down before they left. Ya my help. I left early. Weather was beautiful and then out of nowhere SHTF. Yes alcohol was involved after the event. I show up the next morning and WTFF?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: TD3550,

Posts: 1409 | Location: Under a Truck | Registered: August 23, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
So what is it exactly that is difficult? 45 mph winds don't seem to be an issue. I've been reading comments from people that used Ultimate Awning for two years now and they say 20 minutes with 2 people, maybe a half hour by yourself. The only other option is a VERY expensive retractable awning that I've decided against because the retracted "cassette" would protrude out 10" from my wall, so it would need to be recessed in......and I have not came up with a good way to do that yet....lol.

Posts: 1364 | Location: Lansing,Mi | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
posted Hide Post
Several friends have Girard awnings. Within 40 seconds they go up while you push the button and drink your beer. I would have to sell at least three kids to come up with the money but the thought is settling in. Now the question is which three kids?

Girard for certain.

Bob

Posts: 3082 | Location: Lakeside, Ca | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Pro
Picture of TORQIN
posted Hide Post
Push button...had both...push button or nothing at all.

Posts: 1754 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: November 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
If you go with an arrow. You want the cable through the struts that allow ground level assembly of those anyway. Next, you want flap ends. There's mesh that makes it tight then the regular triangle end is loose at the bottom and vertical keeping the wind from having so much leverage. Mine goes above the side of trailer 3'. Never tighten one when wet. Will be banjo tight when dry. Hour up and .5 down, 48'.

I since went and looked Ultimates site. Looks like they have some nice stuff. If you attend events with Glendora rules, the max is 12’W

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bry-war,

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR S/Pro
Picture of Big Steve
posted Hide Post
Putting one of these Pro awnings up I bet isn't too bad when you first get to the track. But I bet it is a real PITA when you gotta take it down and pack it up after a long weekend of racing and you just want to go home.
The push button awnings attached to the trailer is the cats meow IMO

Posts: 2427 | Location: Moving back to the door side | Registered: April 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Unless someone can point me to an awning I have not seen yet, a retractable awning is not an option. Retractable Awnings(the Italian ones) and Sunsetter are the only electric awnings I'm aware of that will project 12-13'. The problem is that these awnings stick out 10" off the trailer wall when rolled in. I would have to build a recess in the wall of my trailer and I just don't have time for that. Not to mention, enough roll up awning(s) to span my 38' trailer is 2.5 times the price of a pro style awning. I get that it's more work, I've known this for the last two years I've been mulling it over. The actual people I've talked to that have this style of awning tell me they have never had any wind affect it.

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TD3550:
Let me put it this way.When i used to go to 66 and help the guys with their TAD operation. Pro awning time. Naw that's OK. I'll watch sitting in the chair. It is a multi person operation..Normally they would have 2-3 guys set it up. It takes so much time from trying to get the car ready. The one year there,had some serious wind issues. Some of the bars. Can we say. They had to be replaced.

Were told to take it down before they left. Ya my help. I left early. Weather was beautiful and then out of nowhere SHTF. Yes alcohol was involved after the event. I show up the next morning and WTFF?

That sure looks an awful lot like EZ ups to me. Not saying your wrong, but this pic is exactly what I think of when I think about EZ ups and wind.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
They make a huge Girard that will mount in a box and go that far. A friend has one flush in the sidewall and shoots out to 12’. He also has three struts like an Arrow to make it better in the wind attached by pins. Awning glides out over struts and it’s 30’ on a 36’ by T&E.

Posts: 186 | Location: Rock><Hard Place | Registered: February 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bry-war:
They make a huge Girard that will mount in a box and go that far. A friend has one flush in the sidewall and shoots out to 12’. He also has three struts like an Arrow to make it better in the wind attached by pins. Awning glides out over struts and it’s 30’ on a 36’ by T&E.

I have pics of a similar setup, but so far everyone has told me those awnings are no longer available.

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I have been putting them up and taking them down for years. Lotts of work. All 5 of us would work on it. Two people on the trailer and the frame goes into upper storage in the trailer. I won’t get one again. The new 48’ has two 20’ electric awnings. Basically it’s not a small job.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post

DRR Sportsman
Picture of Mike Nitzsche
posted Hide Post
Whats the basic process to putting one up? Put up the arms looks pretty straight forward. I'm told by Ultimate Awning that I zip the canvas to the trailer roof then drag, roll, etc it down the arms. Obviously it's probably more difficult than that, but it doesn't seem horrible. What sucks so bad about putting one up?

DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post
I will send you pictures in a pm when I get home. It’s not bad. It just sucks after 3 days of racing, loading car, rebuilds between rounds etc.

Posts: 97 | Location: Atlanta “Land Soft--Kill Quiet” | Registered: January 21, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Elite
posted Hide Post
Doing it by yourself? Not the ones I have watch. Geeze I see step ladders and guys on the roof of the trailer. I don't know details about the kind of awning. But it doesn't look fun. Looks like they are great while at the track. I don't know what the heck one person would do if a storm was rolling in.

Foxtrot Juliet Bravo

Posts: 6406 | Location: Illinois | Registered: July 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Sportsman
Picture of KWig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Nitzsche:
Unless someone can point me to an awning I have not seen yet, a retractable awning is not an option. Retractable Awnings(the Italian ones) and Sunsetter are the only electric awnings I'm aware of that will project 12-13'. The problem is that these awnings stick out 10" off the trailer wall when rolled in. I would have to build a recess in the wall of my trailer and I just don't have time for that. Not to mention, enough roll up awning(s) to span my 38' trailer is 2.5 times the price of a pro style awning. I get that it's more work, I've known this for the last two years I've been mulling it over. The actual people I've talked to that have this style of awning tell me they have never had any wind affect it.

I saw one of those(I think), and it was mounted on top(roof), a few years ago. Iirc, those are 120volt operations.

You have to put in the effort, to get anything out of it.

Posts: 736 | Location: Cumming Ga | Registered: January 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
DRR Trophy
posted Hide Post

DRR Top Comp
posted Hide Post
Had a typical fold out awning years ago.

Personally I will never have another awning of any type. I’ve helped on a few over the years. EZ-UP awnings are good for pinching the hell out of your hand.

That’s my lousy two cents.

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right. Here I am.......

Posts: 5310 | Location: stuck in the middle with you! | Registered: March 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post